Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gutted cat good idea or not?

Old 12-09-2004, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gutted cat good idea or not?

I have heard opinions of many people about gutting the catalytic converter but i still want to know which one is true. I have done it to my car but i dont notice any difference except for the sound of the car. Some say that gutting it gives you more horsepower and top end but less torque due to the lack of backpressure. Some also say it does nothing, but which one is true. I just wanted your opinions.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (carjacker006)

it will help a lil in the topend. You car will be louder, and you may get some exhuast fumes in the car. Also it is illegal in some states. Plus the amount of work is not worth it, just get a test pipe
Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (sohcvtec1995)

I already did it but my car still aint very fast in top end. i hit the governor at 120 the other day but it took a while, are gsr's and si's governed? My brother has a gsr and he has run it up to 130 but he hasnt ever completely topped it out.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:56 AM
I love to drive

Where are you driving 120mph? I doubt you're going that fast on any race track.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it wont be that noticable, seeing that a your are not running the same pipeing through out the whole exhuast (assuming you have a catback and a header), seeing that inside the cat the pipeing is like 1 inch.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will help a lil in the topend. You car will be louder, and you may get some exhuast fumes in the car. Also it is illegal in some states. Plus the amount of work is not worth it, just get a test pipe </TD></TR></TABLE>
its illegal everywhere, its a federal crime to tamper with a working catalytic converter.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (Kamin)

Yeah, go to ebay and get a high flow cat (aka test pipe), and run that. Always have a cat handy in case of emissions.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
its illegal everywhere, its a federal crime to tamper with a working catalytic converter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Except Texas where 3/4 of the trucks and V8 muscle cars are running open header and the only inspection they do is check if your blinkers and wipers are working. Love it.

If you are going to gut your cat, you might aswell run a straight pipe.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Except Texas where 3/4 of the trucks and V8 muscle cars are running open header and the only inspection they do is check if your blinkers and wipers are working. Love it.

If you are going to gut your cat, you might aswell run a straight pipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>
no, its illegal everywhere. period.

enforcment of the law is different.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
no, its illegal everywhere. period.

enforcment of the law is different. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Indeed where my point was taking me. Sorry I wasn't specific.

Yup, South Texas law is awesome. They don't give a CRAP. Not even for Limo tint or anything. My g/f drove around with an expired sticker for 7 months, not once did they pull her over. People drive around with broken windshields, no windshields, non-existant blinkers, throwing smoke like it was a chimney, etc...They rather pull over the trucks with 24s because, for the most part, most of them are drug dealers being that I'm 2 miles from the Mexican border.

Totally bueno.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know in Fl they dnt have emmision laws though so you dnt really have to worry about it. all you have to worry about is the extra noise that you get from running it straight.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We California people need to move out
Old 12-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (2FAST4U831)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2FAST4U831 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We California people need to move out </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, b/c then your laws will eventually follow. You should stay w/ the governator.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carjacker006 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some also say it does nothing, but which one is true. I just wanted your opinions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it does something, it pollutes the **** out of the environment. Get a highflow that will still pass emissions. http://www.heeltoeauto.com marcus has them, universal style, and obd2 certified
Old 12-09-2004, 02:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carjacker006 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already did it but my car still aint very fast in top end. i hit the governor at 120 the other day but it took a while, are gsr's and si's governed? My brother has a gsr and he has run it up to 130 but he hasnt ever completely topped it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not very intelligent you realize right?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

test pipes are too cheap to waste your time doing all that
Old 12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it does something, it pollutes the **** out of the environment. Get a highflow that will still pass emissions. http://www.heeltoeauto.com marcus has them, universal style, and obd2 certified </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree .... Marcus is tha man
Old 12-09-2004, 03:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

People drive around with no windshields,

</TD></TR></TABLE>
i hope they wear goggles and a helmet or something
Old 12-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (sloz64now)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sloz64now &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope they wear goggles and a helmet or something</TD></TR></TABLE>
theres a kid i go to school with who wears goggles, he got pulled over and got a ticket for no wipers

no windshield didnt bother the cop, just no wipers.

phoenix rocks.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know in Fl they dnt have emmision laws though so you dnt really have to worry about it. all you have to worry about is the extra noise that you get from running it straight.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly I loved it, had 95 impala with flowmasters and no cats and it sounded really good. Also if you have a obd2 car you could cut the cat since the o2 is before the cat and they dont put the sniffer on the tailpipe. Im not sure if in ca they sniff every car or not. Now that I live in az all 96^ just get the code scanner ran and if you have no codes you pass.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go for it...wont hurt nethin
Old 12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
KSE

theres a kid i go to school with who wears goggles, he got pulled over and got a ticket for no wipers

phoenix rocks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO
Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (KSE)

Leave your cat on. The power you gain is it worth the pollution.

Think about others. Think about the future
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres a kid i go to school with who wears goggles, he got pulled over and got a ticket for no wipers

phoenix rocks. </TD></TR></TABLE>no wipers... how much does it rain out there???

to stay on topic: when i did a d16z6 swap i had to get a new exhaust to run a cat.... which i havent done yet. even with the stock exhaust my car is louder than normal and when i put the pedal down from 2500-3100rpm you can hear it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gutted cat good idea or not? (Br1anPham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave your cat on. The power you gain is it worth the pollution.

Think about others. Think about the future </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pollution? There are worse things that pollute the air than cars! And if you worry about a car w/ no cat on it then what do you have to say about SUV's! Its proven that they can emit as much pollution as 4 cars.

So really who cares, thats just what some hippies running the Ca state gov't want you to think! And then again it could be that Ca ppl dont know how to live spread out across the state; they just all want to live in clusterfucks, inside small cities! So with so many ppl occupying such a small area will create a concentrated amount of pollution!

No offense, but CA is a weird state!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gutted cat good idea or not?