Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

For the guru's... OIL light & Water Pump question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For the guru's... OIL light & Water Pump question...

So a few months back I was driving and my oil light started to flicker... I check my fluids e.o.d. so I kno everything is in check, but I still check anyways and proved my theory correct... So I had my B7 still sittin in the garage with all sensors in tact, and figured why not use the B7 pressure sensor, maybe that's the culprit... Well as I'm screwing it in I feel it starting to strip a little, and reversed it out, tried it again, and same thing, it only turned like 2-3 rotations into the hole, and starts spinning in place... So I'm like uh oh, reverse it out and put the Z6 one back in, and it does the same thing, only goes in so deep than just spins in place... Here's a lil quick drawing to better give u an idea...

So with that said, my oil light still flickers, mostly when I have my a/c on and when I'm sitting @ a stop... It never flickers or comes on while I'm driving, only when I'm stopped and with the a/c on usually... It also bogs horribly @ low RPM's when I have the a/c on, and every time it will bog the oil light flickers... What harm can be done from this..?? My oil level is fine, vtec still works, etc...

Ok, my next issue.. I replaced the headgasket on my car about 6 months ago, well the other day I noticed my temp starting to rise as I was getting off the highway from a 45 minute drive... I get home and by the time I get there I see my temp is slowly rising up to the top and I hurry home, shut my car off, and when I turned it off I already heard the all to famous hissing of escaping steam... So sure enough, steam was blowing like a maniac out of under my radiator cap... So I felt all hoses, all were hot "so I assume water pump and thermostat were working", I let the car cool for about 15-20 minutes, and than took the cap off... It wasn't bone dry, but it needed about half a gallon before it was filled up... So I jacked the car up, turned it on with the radiator cap off, and just kept having to slowly fill it up, fill it up, fill it up, etc. but it wasn't leaking anywhere..?? Mind u when I did the headgasket job, I had the head shaved and this was over 6 months ago so I assume a problem would have most likely occurred any time before this given the due time frame... So I'm kinda stumped on if a radiator cap going bad could cause this..?? Or could my water pump possibly be bad, but not be leaking..?? I felt the top hose and it was hot, and when I turned the bleeder valve open coolant was coming out, so I assumed the water pump wasn't bad, but I'm just kinda stumped... Cooling systems have always been my weak side to this honda game...

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: For the guru's... OIL light & Water Pump question...

Is it a Napa water pump? I just now like 5 minutes ago crawled under the car to do an oil change and the water pump is leaking AGAIN.

This is the 2nd Napa pump in as many months. Epic fail on my part for not going OEM. Honda pump coming soon.

Also, my oil sender doesn't thread in very far either but I didn't try to force it. I put some of that indian head brown shellac (they used to call it aviation gasket sealer?) on it and it seems to be holding.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as the oil light flickering it's usually the oil pump or a faulty dummy light. Replace that sensor and see if oil light still flickers. If it does you might need another oil pump(which is honestly rare) how many miles on the engine O.E. parts?

The overheating could be from many different things, but always start from basics. Check thermostat and I would only use OEM Honda thermostat. Also check and make sure the radiator or heater core is not clogged &get all air out of the system. If everything else is good make sure to check the timing (ignition timing as well)...

As far as the stripped sensor you either need to re-tap the threads, get a new head or take it to machine shop or ghetto rig it (DO NOT RECOMMEND) but I've seen worse lol...
Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If all else fails for the sensor, could tap and plug the hole and get a remote filter setup and plumb a sensor into that.

You really don't want any debris getting into that sensor port though as it goes right into your engine. Probably why the threads are so fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the stock water pump afaik but it's not leaking through the weep hole which I've had experience with on previous motors... Could a water pump go bad, and potentially not leak..??
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not unheard of for the impeller to corrode and disintegrate. Open your radiator cap and let the car warm up until the fan comes on and check for good coolant flow. If it flows you know your thermostat and pump are ok.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it does flow, and like i said all hoses get hot, the bleeder on the head spurts water out as well... so i guess it's most likely another head gasket eh'...?? =( smh, fml, ijs
Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Once you replace a headgasket once having to replace them every 6 months to a year after is pretty common. Especially in D15B7/D15B8s. If it was a Z6 and you used an aftermarket composite gasket I could see it happening too.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Once you replace a headgasket once having to replace them every 6 months to a year after is pretty common. Especially in D15B7/D15B8s. If it was a Z6 and you used an aftermarket composite gasket I could see it happening too.
Yeah it's a Z6 but I used a MLS gasket from vatozone... =( fml
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oem parts or aftermarket quality...
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i do agree.... to an extent... i believe it's more hit or miss, for example... my ebay turbo build lasted longer than my gt30 did... luck, maybe..!?! but i just think as long as it's done right aside from what parts u use or who u get them from it will not be a crapper on ya... but i just hate dealership prices most of the time which lears me (and a large majority) away from them when it comes to replacement parts...