Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

guide on painting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guide on painting?

hey guys,

cars away for the winter. It needs to be painted, i am wondering if anyone has a link to a good site that explains how to strip the paint and get it primed to be painted. I used the search and came up wihtn a few but nothing really good.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Re: guide on painting? (90CivicDx)

Yeah someone give us some input on this because i was wondering the same thing.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you have a few coats on you don't wanna totally strip the top coat. Just roughen it up with either a brillo pad or 220 grit, primer, and paint. A monkey could paint a car it's not hard. What makes a good paint job is the surface prep.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FURACERMAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FURACERMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> What makes a good paint job is the surface prep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill agree to that. The other statements not so much. Wade through the very top thread on this page and it has some car painting info in it. I'd do it for you, but that would be just too damn nice of me.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

Are we the only people on this forum that actually looked at that thread...it is packed full of goodies too. There is a whole "how to paint your car" link in there.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the car you plan to paint is still in good condition(paint) then all you need to do is wet sand the car...no need to strip the paint you'll just make it harder on yourself...the only time you would need to strip the paint is if oxidation is happing,deep gouges in the pain,major dents that need to be pulled....hope that info helps if you need more pm me
Old 12-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GTlvr82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GTlvr82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are we the only people on this forum that actually looked at that thread...it is packed full of goodies too. There is a whole "how to paint your car" link in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems that way a good deal of the time.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

there has been a bunch of how to's and what not search.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:55 AM

well my bumpers arehave rock chips bad... i have some scratches on my roof and on my back.

wheres this link posted? i still cant find it.

I'd like to do it myself, all the prepping and then just take it to a place that has a paint booth and get it done
Old 12-04-2003, 05:01 AM

Default Re: (90CivicDx)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=376870

Took that from the FAQ section on the top of this forum...
Old 12-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CNY Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CNY Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=376870

Took that from the FAQ section on the top of this forum...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was actually just about to post a link to that thread I started that a while back in order to get some advice for painting my car. Lots of good stuff in there!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: guide on painting? (90CivicDx)

i work in a body shop and its true that it is about how good the surface prep is.. althought if your gonna paint it yourself remember that light colors are harder than others... and be care ful when u put on the clear... if you put too much on than it will run... if i were you i would put a little at at time but put alot of coats on it... there is no such thing as too many coats of clear... also if u hove alot of chips and deep scratchs u you might want to sand them down or but a light coat of primer on it.. good luck
Old 12-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: guide on painting? (JayDMsleeper)

i just got my car painted by some guy who didnt do a very good job, i was wondering if i put clear coat would it look better. Another thing i was planning on painting it again but doing it myself do you think i would do a good job on my first try.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:11 PM

if you dont do a good job, redo it!

i doubt i'll paint it myself because i dont have a place to go..
Old 12-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: guide on painting? (JayDMsleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDMsleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i work in a body shop and its true that it is about how good the surface prep is.. althought if your gonna paint it yourself remember that light colors are harder than others... and be care ful when u put on the clear... if you put too much on than it will run... if i were you i would put a little at at time but put alot of coats on it... there is no such thing as too many coats of clear... also if u hove alot of chips and deep scratchs u you might want to sand them down or but a light coat of primer on it.. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow. I sure don't want to have my car painted where you work. . You should do no more than 4-6 light coats of paint and there is such a thing as too much clear. Too much and it gets thick and cracks...
Old 12-07-2003, 04:53 PM

changing colours, would you strip it down to the metal?
Old 12-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90CivicDx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">changing colours, would you strip it down to the metal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, dont ever strip it down to the metal, you can never get every piece of paint off of your car, which will make the next coat look uneven
sand it down as far as you can
atleast get all of the clear off, and then get the first coat of color off, if you can
as stated by every guy above, make sure it is smooth as ****
pEaCE
Old 12-07-2003, 06:33 PM

First thing before you sand prep take a permanent marker find all the places that need bodywork and circle with marker,its easier to spot a dent/ding while the paint is somewhat glossy.Fix these areas first then move on to sections of the car, work one part at a time ie:door,fender,hood,etc...Finish each one before moving on to the next cause you might miss a spot.Finally when you have all the prep work done you will need a good sealer to keep any color from bleeding through and I would also suggest using a primer on top of the sealer that has the capability to build up in thickness I think its PPG DP-40 maybe?anyhow you can use it to help mask any imperfections in the bodywork.

1.use 50grit sandpaper on a DA to grind down to the metal when fixing small dents that only require some body filler,this will give the "mud" something to stick/cling to.once the mud is laid sand and feather so there is no height difference between the body work and rest of panel,feeling with fingers works best.
2.when all bodywork is complete you need to make sure all panels are sanded and ready for sealer.
3.once sealed(to keep color from showing through)you need to lay down a good primer,it may take several coats.
4.now block sand the entire car to get it ready for paint,this is also called wet sanding.for this process i do not recommend hand sanding use a foam rubber sanding block this will keep even pressure on the panels.
5.get the car painted ASAP cause most primers only have a 2-3 day window before the pores close and it will need to be re-sanded before color can be applied.
6.use a quality paint basecoat/clearcoat for best results
7.wait about a month or so depending on climate for the paint to cure and wax it with a carnuba wax w/o any harsh abrasives.
8.step back and look at what you have done and enjoy!