Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Guide to Answer the Common Question: Just Bought a Civic! How Do I Make It Faster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Guide to Answer the Common Question: Just Bought a Civic! How Do I Make It Faste

Intake, header, exhaust, high flow cat is always a good start!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Guide to Answer the Common Question: Just Bought a Civic! How Do I Make It Faste

Originally Posted by Wingman00SI
Intake, header, exhaust, high flow cat is always a good start!
Uh negative. I see you read nothing.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Needed. Complete swap guides-all engines all chassis. Preferably with the pics still intact. The one I have for the GSR swap is dead.
I have a guide for All Honda Engine Swaps.

It's pirated though. Still want?

PM me
Old 02-11-2012, 04:56 AM
The Grumpiest

Not personally! Jeez. I need a link to a resource for this thread knucklehead!!! If you read this thread you would have seen that someone found one for me already!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you saying a bissimoto header that is dyno proven to make does nothing. and intake header and exhaust does add power

and also there was a dyno test done and the k and n filter in the stock air box makes no difference over the stock filter
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What grumble is saying is that you have no clue what you're talking about. I/H/E do nothing but move the powerband around. 3WHP isn't worth even talking about.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by kyle741
so you saying a bissimoto header that is dyno proven to make does nothing. and intake header and exhaust does add power

and also there was a dyno test done and the k and n filter in the stock air box makes no difference over the stock filter
You don't seem to have a grasp on reading comprehension. No where did I say it makes zero power. I am saying it makes no power worth anyone's time and definitely not enough power to make a difference AND be cost effective.

The dynos I linked to speak for themselves. And if you honestly think you can feel 10 horsepower after installing these things I'll say you're hallucinating to justify your purchase.

Every time someone wants to argue this issue they bring up Bisi and bring up one of Bisi's builds. Well unless you can duplicate one of his builds you're NOT going to make the power he does. You have GOT to be brain dead if you think that a header that he used on a 230 hp N/A D-series will make the same power when you stick it on your POS engine with only a few supporting mods. Are you HONESTLY going to tell me you'd drop a couple of grand on Bisimoto product, barely gain any power over taking the same money and boosting your car and destroying any N/A build? I want what you're smoking.

But please. If you have links to dynos that show a significant power gain using I/H/E then post 'em.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 03-01-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: On the road...generally in the central United States...

This should be the first thread any kid (no matter their age) with a Civic reads when coming to this forum! Good work, Sir!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 AM
The Grumpiest

And to show you that I can back up everything I have said here's a link to one of the popular mags and a K&N dyno test.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec.../photo_06.html

No power huh?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also if you spent any time not hanging on the bisi train. youd see EVERY dyno ever run of bisi's custom(they are not at ALL custom made) header get demolished in mid range. bisi is all marketing. actual performance is junk. it is dyno proven to be a lie quite a few times. got another test being done this weekend.

might want to state somewhere in there that while I/H/E isn't a major performance gainer. if you're planning to do cams/valvetrain/pistons etc. that having those supporting mods will be a big help in getting more HP/TQ. on their own they are as you say pretty useless.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 AM
The Grumpiest

I have links to dynos in various states of build. I'm always welcome to include more-including the Bisi dynos. It seems people only believe what they can actually SEE and not what they are told.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont know what your even talking about. they do make a difference and are worth buying. you can say stuff all day long and post stuff all day long but i will never believe you neither will most honda people.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont know what your even talking about. they do make a difference and are worth buying. you can say stuff all day long and post stuff all day long but i will never believe you neither will most honda noobs.
Fixed!!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
The Grumpiest

you dont know what your even talking about. they do make a difference and are worth buying. you can say stuff all day long and post stuff all day long but i will never believe you neither will most honda people.
Apparently you don't don't seem to know and want to respond emotionally rather than come with facts. Back up what you're saying with proof and I'll rewrite the whole thread! Anybody?

You post K&N doesn't make power and I post a dyno proving that it does. Care to explain?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
The Grumpiest

I've added this to the first post. So many people seem to stop here and ask about turbo kits instead if the FI forum I thought it was appropriate.

I've seen a lot of people asking about building a turbo kit. I didn't see anything like a chart out that provided a quick visual reference out there so I made one for easy reference!
Typical builds for D & B series. To make similar power with different components use similarly rated parts! It's that easy! All you have to do is research what parts are actually comparable, and substitute!
200-300hp200-450hp200-450hp450+hp600+hp
  1. Cast Iron Manifold
  2. Garrett T3 Super 60 .48 a/r 5 bolt standard
  3. Opt. Precision 4854B .63 a/r
  4. Opt. Precision 4831B .63 a/r
  5. Tial 38mm wastegate
  6. Tial 50mm blow off valve
  1. Ceramic Coated Cast Iron Manifold
  2. Bullseye Power S200 turbo .55 a/r housing
  3. Tial 38mm wastegate
  4. Tial 50mm blow off valve
  1. Log Manifold
  2. Garrett Turbocharger
  3. Opt. Garrett T3/T4 50 trim .63a/r
  4. Opt. Garrett T3/T4 57 trim .63 a/r
  5. Opt. Garrett T3 60 .48 a/r
  6. Opt. Garrett T3/T4 45 trim
  7. Opt. Precision 4854B .63 a/r
  8. Opt. Precision 4831B .63 a/r
  9. Tial 38mm wastegate
  10. Tial 50mm blow off valve
  1. Mini Ram Manifold
  2. .70 a/r SPEC Turbo by Bullseye Power
  3. Tial 38mm MVR wastegate
  4. Opt. 44mm MVR
  5. Tial 50mm Q blow off valve
  1. Ramhorn Manifold
  2. Precision .63 a/r billet 6262 turbo
  3. Opt. Precision .63 a/r billet 6262 turbo
  4. Opt. Bullseye Power S362 .70 a/r
  5. Precision 46MM wastegate
  6. Opt. Tial 44MM MVR wastegate
  7. Greddy Rs
  8. HKS SSQ
Various required parts.
Dumptube, oil lines, charge piping, intercooler, couplers, clamps, etc.
Upgrade Clutch to hold the new power!
Get real engine management - Hondata, Neptune AEM, <CROME>
Gauges to monitor your engine - Oil pressure, Boost/Vac, Wideband
ARP headstuds!!!
Upgrade fuel system!!!.

Parts list based (copied straight)off of kits offered by Go-Autoworks.
Why are Greddy and Edelbrock not listed here? Greddy kits are no longer made and Edelbrock kits are overpriced IMO.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 03-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Trial User

nicely done
Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

amazing thread, thanks for the info. turbo it is for me possibly in the future! (:
Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my updated D16Y8 dynos:

75.5mm Vitara pistons
Custom length FJ rods
Stock head
Ebay cast manifold
T3 60 trim .60/.63ar @ 21psi
2.5" downpipe/exhaust

Same motor, T3/T04E 50 trim at 18 psi

Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank god you posted this, I have to forward this to at least 10 people I know. Everyone asks me why don't I get a header or have a short ram intake. I just have a stock airbox with K&N Filter, and the high flow cat and bigger pipe that came with the car. I think what you should attempt to break down to some people is the dollar to horsepower ratio. Possibly explain how that ratio grows exponentially as you try to stay N/A for "reliability".

IMHO the best go fast mods to me are suspension and getting everything back to OEM, this means all bushings, shocks, steering and tires so that you can feel the power as you shoot around a turn or don't wobble at 120.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:38 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by sde780
Here's my updated D16Y8 dynos:

75.5mm Vitara pistons
Custom length FJ rods
Stock head
Ebay cast manifold
T3 60 trim .60/.63ar @ 21psi
2.5" downpipe/exhaust

Same motor, T3/T04E 50 trim at 18 psi
Oh man. I cannot wait until I finally get my spare block built.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by ehrkeith
I think what you should attempt to break down to some people is the dollar to horsepower ratio. Possibly explain how that ratio grows exponentially as you try to stay N/A for "reliability".
I thought about this but as prices and parts change over time I thought it best not to. Problem is, 99% of people with basic bolt-ons will not or cannot afford to dyno their cars so I tried to provide dynos instead. If they're intelligent they can figure it out themselves. TBH most people just don't care and do it for the looks or the butt-dyno.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 04-20-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's well worth building the motor. I pulled the stock Y8 at 155k miles, it was boosted for 12k miles and still running strong. Now it'll be my backup if anything happens to the built motor.

A worthy note: the longer stroke of the D16's means they make more torque than several B-series motors at the same hp level. For example, my friend's boosted B16 made 360+hp and only 240ftlbs, whereas I made 300whp/265ftlbs with the first turbo.

I would modify my next car in this order:
1. Suspension
2. Sticky tires
3. Forced induction
5. Outside appearance (lip, window visors, etc)
4. Interior
Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good read, Marc.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info
Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, it's now well-established that Bisi headers are made in China and are of terrible quality. I'd rather keep my stock header than waste $900 on a Bisi product, regardless if they made an extra 5whp.

Quick Reply: Guide to Answer the Common Question: Just Bought a Civic! How Do I Make It Faster?