Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gsr: White smoke when cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr: White smoke when cold start

Hey whats up guys i need help. I just got my b18c rebuilt completely head and block. I put the motor in and i noticed that it smokes alot of white smoke only at cold start and then after it warms up. I thought it was part of the process of the engine break in but its been more then a week already and it doesnt go down. Now, i did my research and it could be the headgasket which really sucks cause i put a brand new honda oem one on and it is not backwards or look defective or it could be a cracked head which i hope it aint because it was perfectly fine before i sent it out to the machine shop. I been checking the radiator to see if the levels go down but it hasnt and it never overheats. The reservoir has gone down but i think its due to a heater core small leak. Today i took out the spakplugs to see how they look and i noticed that the sparkplugs looked alittle green on the upper white part but also looked like oil mixed in. Its hard to tell. Then i looked down into where the sparkplug goes with a flashlight and it looked like its sort of wet at the botom. Can someone tell me if they have experienced this at all?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr: White smoke when cold start

valve stem seals?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Condensation is pretty common when hot water vapor hits cold air....especially on a cold start when the cars been sitting for a period of time and the exhaust hasnt been cleared out.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea those were put in when the head was rebuilt. I think if it was the valve stem seals it would of been blue smoke but its not. Its white which means coolant
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
Condensation is pretty common when hot water vapor hits cold air....especially on a cold start when the cars been sitting for a period of time and the exhaust hasnt been cleared out.
Yes i know what you mean but im sorry i wasnt very specific. Its a huggggge amount of white smoke. Not like a normal cold start.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had some ridiculous smoke issues on cold starts and it was only condensation lol. What does it smell like? Exhaust containing burnt coolant smells like absolute ****
Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
I've had some ridiculous smoke issues on cold starts and it was only condensation lol. What does it smell like? Exhaust containing burnt coolant smells like absolute ****
Yea it does smell aweful. But its been more then a week already so it cant be normal. What ever it is thats leaking must be going into the cylinder walls and burning off all that white smoke at cold start
Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having a similar issue, I replaced my head gasket and still had the same issue. Best thing to do is get in there and double check everything. Unfortunately I can’t really tell you what it is, since I wasn’t able to figure mine out and stopped working on it.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cevax
I am having a similar issue, I replaced my head gasket and still had the same issue. Best thing to do is get in there and double check everything. Unfortunately I can’t really tell you what it is, since I wasn’t able to figure mine out and stopped working on it.
Yea this whole thing is crazy i spent too much money and now this. Its a headache
Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you intake mani gasket is letting in water thru cylinder 4. Happened to me once. Since that's the cylinder that's close to a water way on the mani and head.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ this..usually it's a gasket problem..another thing i came across is if you open your oil cap and see white deposit in it..usually means there's some sort of moisture in your engine.at least that's what i came across with my car..anyways worth a try
Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nic_nac
^^ this..usually it's a gasket problem..another thing i came across is if you open your oil cap and see white deposit in it..usually means there's some sort of moisture in your engine.at least that's what i came across with my car..anyways worth a try
Yea i did this already. It was one of the first things i did. Its clean no odd coloring. thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Maybe you intake mani gasket is letting in water thru cylinder 4. Happened to me once. Since that's the cylinder that's close to a water way on the mani and head.
Im going to check this but i doubt this is the problem. Every single gasket is new and was applied right
Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a compression test done. That could let you know if its the head gasket
Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats up guys here are my updates. I changed the head gasket again and put in a thicker one(cometic). I started it up and the same white smoke came out but it was the old stuff siting in from not being started up for a day. So i didnt worry to much because i was going to wait and see the next morning which is today to see if the white smoke came out again at cold start. I started it up today and the same white smoke came out. Does anybody know what else it can be. The head was inspected before i put it on and everything looked normal. Nothing cracked on the head.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody have any other clues?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

might be piston rings you put the wrong size or they didnt set in right... wen you did your rebuild did u get oem rings and the correct specs

does it smoke after its warm or just wen u have a cold start
Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got it rebuilt at a machine shop that doesnt have bad history. I got oem gsr oversize pistons. I would say they did a good job. The car only smokes at cold start then after that it just smokes like a normal car but thats cause of the cold weather. I think that if it were the rings that didnt seat in then it would be blue smoke from the oil geting through
Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would replave vavle seals there only like 25 bucks and i seen some heavy smoking gsr that had bad vavle seals...... just becuase a shop does a rebuild dont mean it was done good there plently reputable shops that theyve fcked up becuase they forgot sumthing didnt torque down sumthing correctly or etc.. take it back to them and ask them to do a compression check if there sumthing bad they have to fix if compression is fine money is on the vavle seals
Old 11-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

valve seal were changed also . Everthing was changed from head to bottom end. Its white smoke which = Coolant. It cant be valve seals cause if it was then it would blow blue smoke. Thats the problem i had before thats why i got everthing rebuilt to be like new.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen so many hondas that smoke like that and no one ever pays any mind to it, not saying you shouldn't i think you should and i've always personally wondered. Posting up a vid of how much white smoke is actually coming out might be helpful.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
how did u stop that from happening??? i think i might have that problem
Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by revolution920
how did u stop that from happening??? i think i might have that problem
Maybe he replaced the intake mani gasket with a new one.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpppp still in deep waters. I try doing a compression test and i cant even do that. The socket that once went in the spark plug hole before the rebuilt doesnt go in. Idk if its because of the paint that they put on it to make it look new
Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cold start, is normal

White smoke is from the car sitting over night and humduity being high.. its very normal to have white smoke when you first start your car up, after it warms up, it should go away..if not then you have a HG problem

White smoke for longer then a warmup period means you have a HG leak.. pretty simple concept if you search.

Quick Reply: Gsr: White smoke when cold start