Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Transmission

Do the factory gsr transmission come with lsd? is the only way to tell if the tranny is from factory would be by counting teeth to figure out the final gear ratio? anyone have a pic of what gears should i count?

reason is, they offering me a complete gsr swap, but need to know how to check the engine is in good working order and has factory tranny. thanx all
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
quicchatch253

Default Re: GSR Transmission

if you do a burnout is it one tire mark or two
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the thing, the guy says the swap is off the integra....and it is now being offered to me. which is why i have to try find a way to identify the transmission before taking it. wondering if the gsr's have a number code on the tranny where it is easy to indentify...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM

gsr tranny has a S80 on it..... but so does the ls tranny.....
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quick way to tell LSD/Non-LSD is just look through the hole that the axles fit into. If you can see through it to the other side, it's LSD. If theres a bar in the middle that stops you from seeing through it, it's Non-LSD.

This is not always a sure 100% way to tell with all makes (for example, some Toyota trannys are LSD but there's a bar) but I'm fairly sure this is a solid method for Hondas.

As far as telling whether it's a GSR tranny, I have no idea.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 AM

usdm gsr tranny will not have a factory lsd - if for some reason it has a factory lsd it will have LSD stamped on it - as far as checking the motor hand crank it - pull valve cover and check for anything loose - I am guessing it is all out of the car now....
Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 AM

no gsr's don't come with lsd from factory......unless its jdm.optional
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx alot guys, been great help. I will take a look at the swap before anything and using this info try figure out if tranny has lsd.

This is the offer, a full gsr swap (guy says original tranny & Low miles) low miles = bs to me). and he offers me a b16 longblock (blown block) but vtec head is working condition.

he offers me this for my salvaged 93 civic dx b16a2 swap (not original tranny, no lsd, short gears, needs clutch, 1st gear grinds a lil) i get to keep my stereo sound system and my wheels and my custom plates.

Is it worth getting the gsr swap? what would u do? what would jesus do? lol...as u can see, i been in the game since 8/07 (i didnt know anything before h-tech)...im still learning...

Last edited by SinsEvil666; 01-14-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SinsEvil666
Thanx alot guys, been great help. I will take a look at the swap before anything and using this info try figure out if tranny has lsd.

This is the offer, a full gsr swap (guy says original tranny & Low miles) low miles = bs to me). and he offers me a b16 longblock (blown block) but vtec head is working condition.

he offers me this for my salvaged 93 civic dx b16a2 swap (not original tranny, no lsd, short gears, needs clutch, 1st gear grinds a lil) i get to keep my stereo sound system and my wheels and my custom plates.

Is it worth getting the gsr swap? what would u do? what would jesus do? lol...as u can see, i been in the game since 8/07 (i didnt know anything before h-tech)...im still learning...
the tranny case sould have a LSD stamp on it if it is a factory unit. if it is an aftermarket install then yea do what everone else said above. as for the GSR swap they are worth it but if i was to do it i would fand a B16 head and tranny with the GSR block. you will notice better power and it will be pretty damn quick. I have a stroked GSR with b16 head gsr cams and b16 lsd tranny right now that i am going to boost and i have pulled on a JDM GSR on the freeway
Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
the tranny case sould have a LSD stamp on it if it is a factory unit. if it is an aftermarket install then yea do what everone else said above. as for the GSR swap they are worth it but if i was to do it i would fand a B16 head and tranny with the GSR block. you will notice better power and it will be pretty damn quick. I have a stroked GSR with b16 head gsr cams and b16 lsd tranny right now that i am going to boost and i have pulled on a JDM GSR on the freeway
Nice, so my option here would be, get the gsr..im getting a b16 longblock with the deal...i can use that b16 head...i can sell the gsr tranny, most likely will not have lsd....and sell the gsr head, and pick up a lsd tranny....and swap it in to my ek....i think im going trade.....

Thanx. Anyone has any more input, opinion..feel free....it will help me make my choice.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SinsEvil666
Nice, so my option here would be, get the gsr..im getting a b16 longblock with the deal...i can use that b16 head...i can sell the gsr tranny, most likely will not have lsd....and sell the gsr head, and pick up a lsd tranny....and swap it in to my ek....i think im going trade.....

Thanx. Anyone has any more input, opinion..feel free....it will help me make my choice.

thats a sweet deal are you looking to run NA or boost? i would throw some P30 pistons in the GSR with a set of cams and that would put you around 200 at the wheels with a good tune. LSD is sweet man i just put one in my car and LOVE it
Old 01-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
thats a sweet deal are you looking to run NA or boost? i would throw some P30 pistons in the GSR with a set of cams and that would put you around 200 at the wheels with a good tune. LSD is sweet man i just put one in my car and LOVE it
im leaning towards boost. looks like im going to get that gsr, seems like there is only positive outcomes out of this.