Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gsr Tranny Help PLease

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr Tranny Help PLease

OK So Here's the story, I'm really starting to doubt if anyone can figure the problem out. I have a honda civic Ek, With a Gsr swap.

Incident #1: Tranny Came out of gear on the Highway while doing 70 Mph.Pulled over and no matter what gear i put it in,it wouldn't move,it just made weird noises. Waited then, called a tow truck to tow the car.In the meantime of the tow truck coming I put it back into first and the car starting moving again ,but i still waited for the tow truck to come and had it towed to the shop. When i got there the mechanic tells me that the driver side axle, was missing the two bolts that were supposed to be holding it in place. So he puts in axle and puts the 2 bolts on and i'm on my merry way.

incident # 2: Was driving on the Road and in 2nd gear i floored it the wheels spun and it came out of gear again.No matter what i did it wouldn't move ,just was making weird noises again. Had it towed for the second time to the shop and this time the mechanic says you broke your right axle and he showed me a good chunk of it that broke off. He changed the Axle and the car for the longest was making this noise that when you put it in neutral and let off the clutch it would make this weird noise.But when you would press the clutch down again it would go away. I had a fully built tranny with another throw out bearing lying around. So this time, I had it swapped to the new transmission also. After doing this the car runs fine for 2 weeks. Mind you the new transmission,Had new carbon coated syncros,gears,and quaife lsd.

Incident #3: Car runs fine for 2 weeks ,until one night i was driving it when i came to a stop at the light it wouldn't move again !. it would go into any gear but wouldn't move .I had it towed to the shop again and they removed the tranny and showed me my clutch exploded. The pressure plate broke. So i had them put in another clutch.

Incident #4: Drove the car for 1 week, and came to a stop at another light , and there we go again it came out of gear again ,except this time i got it towed , to my garage. So now when you start the car , And press the clutch in it makes the exact noises of a grinder churning something.When you let back off again it quiet. So i took the transmission off the car and checked the axles and clutch and everything seems Fine !!.

What in the world is going on please???

I thought i would change the throw out bearing for one , as i think that's what was causing the noises when you put the car in neutral and release the clutch ,but when you press it back down again it goes away.
Another thing is that the car is a 97 civic Ek Ex. Im using gsr axles from an integra , could that also be a problem??

Specifics on car.

97 civic Ek.
Gsr swapped b18c1
Turboed. t3/t4 turbo kit running @ 8PSi.
Gsr Integra axles.
Short shifter shift linkage.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr Tranny Help PLease

hmmm im thinking maybe your flywheel was pretty chewed up when they replaced your clutch and the disk could be making some noise from uneven wear?

you ask about your axles as if they are making the noise..? are either of the snap-rings damaged? how about the spines?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumppp...help please guys
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need help guys bumpppp
Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Help please
Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump...Nobody Can help????
Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Your current issue sounds like throwout/release bearing.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
+1 for tb issue
Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok first of all thanks for replying.Second well Before i took everything apart this time, the biggest symptom it was showing was that when you , would turn the car on and push the clutch in , the noise coming from it sounded like a blender churning.its silent when the clutch isn't pushed in but makes this horrendous sound when you push the clutch in. Could that be a throwout bearing?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by gsrbuilt35r
Ok first of all thanks for replying.Second well Before i took everything apart this time, the biggest symptom it was showing was that when you , would turn the car on and push the clutch in , the noise coming from it sounded like a blender churning.its silent when the clutch isn't pushed in but makes this horrendous sound when you push the clutch in. Could that be a throwout bearing?
Yes, that's normally what happens, the bearing only turns when you begin to depress the clutch pedal and the bearing is forced up against the fingers of the pressure plate.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that's normally what happens, the bearing only turns when you begin to depress the clutch pedal and the bearing is forced up against the fingers of the pressure plate.
Great !. So let me bother you with one more question. Besides the throwout bearing is there any other bearing to cause this noise? . And I got a recommendation to use 99-00 si b series axles ,instead of the gsr integra ones, shouldn't make a difference correct right?. Third If i plan to buy new axles ,can i buy adance auto parts axles,instead of paying 188 a piece at the dealer for them? .Thanks so much.You help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Seagull Management

Great !. So let me bother you with one more question. Besides the throwout bearing is there any other bearing to cause this noise?
Not when the clutch is depressed.

And I got a recommendation to use 99-00 si b series axles ,instead of the gsr integra ones, shouldn't make a difference correct right?
They're exactly the same axles.

Third If i plan to buy new axles ,can i buy adance auto parts axles,instead of paying 188 a piece at the dealer for them?
You can, but be aware sometimes they just don't fit right, a lot of guys have issues and have to return them 2 or 3 times before they get ones that fit right or don't vibrate under acceleration.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not when the clutch is depressed.

They're exactly the same axles.

You can, but be aware sometimes they just don't fit right, a lot of guys have issues and have to return them 2 or 3 times before they get ones that fit right or don't vibrate under acceleration.

What do they call a guy who helps in a time of need , and is precise with his answers and on point?.Appreciate the Input