Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR sway bar+LCA's+92 Civic, quick questions

Old 05-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GSR sway bar+LCA's+92 Civic, quick questions

H-T need some questions answered and checked.

After hours of searching, i have found the following information but im not 100% sure and before i go do work on my car, i need to know somethings so please help me out.

I have a 92 civ hatch si. I have a totalled 94 gsr. I want to put the rear sway bar on my civic. Please conferm this:

1. A 94 gsr rear sway bar will fit a 92 hatch si? I need to LCA's from the gsr in order for it to work, correct?

2. Is it possible for the civ. lca's to go onto the gsr?

3. Does that mess with ordering shocks, like do i now have to order gsr rear shocks or still order for a civic? Anotherwards, will the bottom "forks" of a civic shock work with gsr lca's.

4. I read that the stock gsr sway bar is 24mm. But also read that its 13mm and 14mm. Which is it? Im pretty sure its 24mm, but just doublechecking. The 13 and 14mm might be for the stock 99-00 Si and i just miss read.

5. Civics naturally understeer. Sway bar will help it oversteer. Being good for a civic on a road course, correct? (im really lost with that question and i have no idea what im talking about)

6. Would it be wise to use the gsr front sway bar also or just go with the rear?

7. Is their any drilling necessary into my civic for the rear sway bar to fit?

Thanks so much for answering these and sorry for the lengthy questions. I just need to double check everything.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GSR sway bar+LCA's+92 Civic, quick questions (dohcdelsol)

EDIT: Okay, I just realized that you want to put a stock GSR rear sway bar on your Civic and NOT an ITR rear sway bar. My post still applies though. Although, your Civic will still have a slight tendency to understeer. Unless you upgrade the rear bar to something thicker like the USDM ITR rear sway bar (22mm), it'll still understeer. The ITR rear bar will give you more of a neutral balance.

I had an Integra, but a long time ago, I helped my friend with a Civic put in an ITR bar, so I'll try to jog my memory and help j00 out.

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol
H-T need some questions answered and checked.

After hours of searching, i have found the following information but im not 100% sure and before i go do work on my car, i need to know somethings so please help me out.

I have a 92 civ hatch si. I have a totalled 94 gsr. I want to put the rear sway bar on my civic. Please conferm this:

1. A 94 gsr rear sway bar will fit a 92 hatch si? I need to LCA's from the gsr in order for it to work, correct?
Yes, you need to have the LCA's where there are holes available to put the sway bar endlinks on. Check again though, do you have the holes for the endlinks?

2. Is it possible for the civ. lca's to go onto the gsr?
Yes, they will swap over, however, I'm sorry but I don't remember whether the rear shocks on an Integra are different than the Civic. I believe they are, but not 100% sure.

3. Does that mess with ordering shocks, like do i now have to order gsr rear shocks or still order for a civic? Anotherwards, will the bottom "forks" of a civic shock work with gsr lca's.
See my above "not sure" comment.

4. I read that the stock gsr sway bar is 24mm. But also read that its 13mm and 14mm. Which is it? Im pretty sure its 24mm, but just doublechecking. The 13 and 14mm might be for the stock 99-00 Si and i just miss read.
The stock REAR bar on a GSR/GS/LS is 14mm. The FRONT bar is 24mm. The ITR rear bar is 22mm. The JDM ITR rear bar is 23mm.

5. Civics naturally understeer. Sway bar will help it oversteer. Being good for a civic on a road course, correct? (im really lost with that question and i have no idea what im talking about)
A rear sway bar will give it more of a neutral balance. It won't give it more oversteering tendency. You do have to watch your driving though. Since it will have more of a neutral balance, you don't want to throttle lift during a turn, or brake during a turn. Your back end might come out that way. On a road course, the "best" thing to have is a neutral balance. EDIT: Look at my edit up on the top

6. Would it be wise to use the gsr front sway bar also or just go with the rear?
What is your stock front sway bar size? I don't know the stock Civic front size.

7. Is their any drilling necessary into my civic for the rear sway bar to fit?
If you get the correct LCA's with the holes for the endlinks, then there is no drilling required. HOWEVER....the subframe needs to be reinforced just like the Integras (non-Type R's). That requires the drilling out of the spot welds of the stock sway bar bracket bolts. I'm not familiar with "rigging up" of sway bars and Civics. Maybe someone has simply drilled out holes on the stock Civic LCA's for the endlinks and made it work. Not sure. Search around here in the Civic forum. I've been here a long time and haven't heard of that personally, so maybe not.

Thanks so much for answering these and sorry for the lengthy questions. I just need to double check everything.
Hehe.....hope I helped a bit. I'm home on a Saturday night cuz my girl is busy babysitting.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR sway bar+LCA's+92 Civic, quick questions (shamoo)

Can someone explain "Reinforcing the subframe" for me. Like what exactly should i do? Or is just using the teg LCA's and sway bar fine. Im not goig to be hardcore racing, just pushing it a little on the street. Thanks shamoo for the input.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The early year GSRs had 13mm rear. I believe the GSR rear bars are larger diameter than the LS/GS but I could be wrong.

GSR front bar and ITR rear bar with upgraded springs will be fairly neutral.

No, you will order Civic struts if you're getting factory replacement or cheapy aftermarkets. Every street aftermarket application will list 94+ Integra and 92-95 Civic together and it doesn't matter.

Search for "subframe reinforcement" or "subframe tearout". Many companies make reinforcement plates. Comptech is the best.

I am not aware of any drilling out of spot welds etc. Nothing of the sort was required for my car and I have a GSR front bar and a 22mm adjustable rear bar with reinforcement plates and a tie bar (among many other suspension mods) on a 93 DX hatch.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Re: GSR sway bar+LCA's+92 Civic, quick questions (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The early year GSRs had 13mm rear. I believe the GSR rear bars are larger diameter than the LS/GS but I could be wrong.

I am not aware of any drilling out of spot welds etc. Nothing of the sort was required for my car and I have a GSR front bar and a 22mm adjustable rear bar with reinforcement plates and a tie bar (among many other suspension mods) on a 93 DX hatch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The GSR/LS/GS rear bars are all the same in the 3rd gen Integras. Just FYI.

You didn't have to drill out/hammer off the spot welds on the rear of the subframe? What "reinforcement plate" did you use? Most of the ones I'm familar with go thru where the stock bracket goes, but use a larger bolt, requiring drilling out of the hole. Oh well, if yours works, then I guess it does, right?

DOHCDELSOL, lemme explain "subframe tearout." The rear subframe (where the stock sway bar bolts on to underneath the car) is made to handle the stress of a stock sway bar (about 12-14mm or so). If you put something larger on, the subframe will be forced to take much more stress, since the larger bar is holding the car stiffer and putting stress on the subframe.

There is a possiblity, that the subframe might tear in that area. That's why you have a reinforcement plate there.

NOTE: If you just want to put a stock GSR bar on there, there's no need to reinforce anything. Your stock subframe is made to handle a bar like that. Not the ITR 22 bar or the JDM ITR 23mm bar though.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR sway bar+LCA's+92 Civic, quick questions (shamoo)

So stock gsr rear sway bar on hatch, no problem, just switch the rear LCA's, CORRECT????

Old 06-01-2004, 06:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So stock gsr rear sway bar on hatch, no problem, just switch the rear LCA's, CORRECT????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes sir.

Pick up the endlinks and brackets from anywhere and that's it.