Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gsr swap wont start!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr swap wont start!!!!!!!!

ok i have a 94 hatch cx just dropped in a gsr swap.motor is obd2 i got a vtec obd1 harness for it so i had to re wire the dizzy alt and i had to use my single cam injectors to no i got spark i took off 2 plugs to see if they fire as i crank and they spark pretty well as per fuel the spark plugs are wet with gas!! now i only have 1 ground in my tranny to body i didnt have a chance to finish it completly i still need the valve cover ground but i just wanted to see if it would start and it doesent please need help asap!!! and yes i took off the dizzy and turned it 180 and still nothing!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gsr swap wont start!!!!!!!!

fix the grounds and it should start
mine wouldn't start because my valve cover and tranny ground was not hooked up.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

might be your wiring on the dizzy. but like it was stated above, check your grounds.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check timing as well, grounds are important but that doesn't sound like your problem. If you have fuel and spark, then you either don't have compression, or the timing is way off
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

What year GSR is it? What ECU? If you're trying to run an OBD2B (99-01 I think) P72, then you'll have to remove the immobilizer from the ECU. It WILL NOT START with the immobilizer in there. Without it, it will throw a P1607 internal ECU malfunction code, but will run fine. H-T user Katman offers a service where he can remove the immobilizer and kill the 1607 code if you don't want to deal with the CEL. Or, you can use a chipped P28 or something.

Also, on OBD2B gsrs into Civics (at least, into 96-00, not sure about others), you have to swap pins A15 and A16 for the fuel pump relay.

I'm not sure if either of these are your problem, since you say you have fuel on the plugs, but they are very common causes of crank/no start on 2B GSR swaps.

Last edited by Vindicator9000; 02-02-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

YEah check timing and grounding.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ground on your harness that hooks up to your t-stat housing
Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have the right jumper, as in OBD-2A or 2B?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM

im sure it has somethnig to do with your valve cover ground not being there. i did the same thing when i had just about finished swappin my motor in. i couldnt wait another minute just to put a silly ground wire on. check the grounds.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your grounds, i just ran into the same problem with my friends swap that i was doing.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

r u running an OBD1 ECU then?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 PM

first of all thanks for helping greatly appre ok i got my valve cover ground on there t stat one is tigth! tranny to body is good to the gsr is a 94 running obd2 dizzy alter and inject i got a obd 1 harness running a chipped p28 now this is whats funny this motor was on a 92 cx running i drove it my backyard removed the motor i removed my 94cx single cam put in the gsr and now this crap! i played with it today i tried my single cam ecu on it still wont start am surre my timming is good cuz it was running days before i swapped it all i did was swap the engine harness that was all chude up with a new1 from the stealership wired it up and nothing also i check the plugs after cranking numerouse times they are wet with gas so i disconnect the fuel pump and it starts to crank as it was gonna start but goes to regular crank since it ran dry so am most likely dealing with a fuel issue any ideas?????? please need this car running asap
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlamazing
all i did was swap the engine harness that was all chude up with a new1 from the stealership wired it up
You know, if you were going to buy a brand new engine harness you might as well have just bought a '96 - '99 GS-R or ITR harness to avoid cutting and splicing connectors for the alternator, distributor and injectors.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 AM

well i got this new gsr obd1 harness for 150 new from the dealer i rather get that than 500$ at the stealership so i got is it seem to me like i got a weak spark for some reson! i disconet the fuel pump and try to crank it and it wants to start but it doesent get to start up and plugs stay wet when the fuel pump is connected so thats my only solution i have in mind! while i was doing that last nite starter took a crap and wont turn over now will get a starter after work now!!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put your stock harness(the one that came with your car, if you still have it) on it and try it. i had a huge issue with an EX harness i bought and had to completely rewire the dizzy & fuel pump.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 AM

well what you mean re wire fuel pump and dizzy you got a egine harness or cabin harness? i still have my single cam harness its on the motor i know it will run on that harness cuz i ran the car with that 1 with my chipped p28 mabe i will try that out hey mimik i see ur in miami maybe you can help me hit me up 7862716763
Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 AM

got a new dizzy on there but still have original rotor and cap car still wont start!! please help sparkplugs still wet with fuel when trying to start! dont know what else to check any ideas???
Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is your firing order dead on?
check with a screw driver to see if your getting power to your wires from the dizzy, if it dosent spark check your coil, and see if anything came loose or if theres a short that its grounding itself on
Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same problem with my rebuild on my ls, it just turns over and eventually dies down like its my battery thats giving out, i think that my firing order is off, because i just re timed it yesterday, and got that all straight. after school im going to check and see if its my firing order. ill let you know.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 PM

ok complete dizzy is brand new!! cap rotor dizzy all new still wont start spark plugs stay wet when i take them out after trying to start! firing order is on the money! to me sounds like a weak spark wich i dougth sparks good to me or to much fuel going in cuz it smell like fuel like crazy when i try to start it i dicsconet the fuel pump and try to start it cranks
speeds up like its gona start but then drys out on fuel so am totaly lost now dont have a clue on what it could be please needs some help only car i have! at the moment!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm my ex bf had the same prob with his car, ill ask him what was wrong with it cus i remember it sounding exactly how you explained it. hmm!! well goood luck :/ ill assssk and let you know!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 AM

ok thanks need all the help i can get!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 AM

ok ppl i got it finnaly the motor was out of timming it jump like 2 teeth that why it would not start no i bougth the motor running in a car i took it out and i dont know how it jumped thats why i wouldent bother to check that till last nite and got it running!!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
What year GSR is it? What ECU? If you're trying to run an OBD2B (99-01 I think) P72, then you'll have to remove the immobilizer from the ECU. It WILL NOT START with the immobilizer in there. Without it, it will throw a P1607 internal ECU malfunction code, but will run fine. H-T user Katman offers a service where he can remove the immobilizer and kill the 1607 code if you don't want to deal with the CEL. Or, you can use a chipped P28 or something.

Also, on OBD2B gsrs into Civics (at least, into 96-00, not sure about others), you have to swap pins A15 and A16 for the fuel pump relay.

I'm not sure if either of these are your problem, since you say you have fuel on the plugs, but they are very common causes of crank/no start on 2B GSR swaps.
i know this is a VERY VERY OLD thread and Im sorry for bringing it back up. But im currently in the same problem. Just did a 99 GSR swap (obd2A) in my 99 Civic EX (obd2B) two weekends ago. I have everything hooked up, and I have a P72-A05 (obd2B) GSR ECU with a crank no start issue. I DONT HEAR THE FUEL PUMP PRIME. So can anyone confirm vindicators comment about swapping A15 and A16 pins on the Civic harness??? Sorry again for bringing up an 8-year old post, couldnt find anything else relating to my issue.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMkid29
i know this is a VERY VERY OLD thread and Im sorry for bringing it back up. But im currently in the same problem. Just did a 99 GSR swap (obd2A) in my 99 Civic EX (obd2B) two weekends ago. I have everything hooked up, and I have a P72-A05 (obd2B) GSR ECU with a crank no start issue. I DONT HEAR THE FUEL PUMP PRIME. So can anyone confirm vindicators comment about swapping A15 and A16 pins on the Civic harness??? Sorry again for bringing up an 8-year old post, couldnt find anything else relating to my issue.
OBD-2B Integra ECU's ALL have immobilizers... your civic does not. The car will NOT crank using that ECU unless you can defeat the immobilizer or add the entire steering column from a 2000+ Integra. I suggest you get an OBD-2B -> OBD-2A jumper harness and use a '96-99 GSR ECU.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gsr swap wont start!!!!!!!!