Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr Swap reassurment questions.

Searched

2000 Civic Dx Coupe -> first swap

I am getting all this http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...30009

-1.What should I do about mounts? Ive read many different theories.
-2.Harness and Ecu need to be replaced for best results right?
-3.Should I worry about cam timing?
-4.Radiator hose replacement?
-5.Can I use old P/S?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (Romo Pyro)

same motor i have in my 99 ex.
yes you will need new mounts(just the rear from an SI if i remember right?)
i got a chipped ecu to bypass the knock sensor.
get the radiator hoses for the new motor, you may have to cut them to make them work.
as for ps, you'll need a pump from an si.
and i wouldnt worry about cam timing.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (skcivic4life)

thankyou soo much!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do I need the bracket and the mount for the rear or just the mount or just the bracket
Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM

i'm pretty sure you need the whole thing i cant remember off hand, the people at hmmotorsonline.com can def help with that. they have great customer service.
unless someone else wants to chime in and verify?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Romo Pyro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do I need the bracket and the mount for the rear or just the mount or just the bracket </TD></TR></TABLE>

You need both.

Get a harness from an Ex, same gen as your car 99-00. That would be easiest and makes it plug and play.

Use an ECU closest to the one that originally ran the engine. In this case a P72 from a GSR. 99-01 are all OBD2b and won't require a conversion harness, but 00-01 have an immobilizer. That means get a 99 P72.

Why would you need to worry about cam timing?

Radiator hoses should match the originals that were on the engine. That means get Integra GSR hoses. All B series are 32mm while the D series hoses are 28mm so you will have to clamp them down on your radiator if you retain stock. That's fine to do.

And yes, you can keep your power steering. Retain all the plumbing and the pump from your D and bolt it to the new motor. Fairly straightforward, you don't even need to disconnect the fluid lines.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (Blk00EJ8)

I just finished a B swap into an Ek, all that was needed to get the motor in was:
The Rear Bracket aka T bracket from a 2000 si
And the Timing belt bracket, from a 2000 si.

So you do not need the rear mount itself just the bracket.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (lluks_844)

Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (DCFryARGHHH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lluks_844 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just finished a B swap into an Ek, all that was needed to get the motor in was:
The Rear Bracket aka T bracket from a 2000 si
And the Timing belt bracket, from a 2000 si.

So you do not need the rear mount itself just the bracket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (skUnK2jdm)

Perfect. ok so I will get the bracket from hasport and shop for the p/s pump on like ebay or something. Thx again guys. and yes im gonna use a p72 and the gsr harness. i would use the ex harness but the gsr one comes with the package. and its good to know that hmo will be supportive. and cheers

oh and btw i was wondering about timing because i hear a lot about ppl with this swap having idle and other problems so i was j/w. thx tho.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And yes, you can keep your power steering. Retain all the plumbing and the pump from your D and bolt it to the new motor. Fairly straightforward, you don't even need to disconnect the fluid lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had to get an SI pump due to the fact that the fitting is different on the PS line on a ex from a gsr pump. and my ex pump wouldnt work.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (skcivic4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skcivic4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had to get an SI pump due to the fact that the fitting is different on the PS line on a ex from a gsr pump. and my ex pump wouldnt work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did exactly as I stated and reused my D pump. The Si pump has the same size fitting as a 99-00 Ex pump anyway -- I know this for a fact. And yes, the GSR pump has a different sized fitting but that shouldn't even come into play. Why wouldn't your D pump work?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did this swap in my ek and I bought the motor from hmotorsonline the exact same one..
1. Either buy aftermarket mounts, I bought hasport mounts from hmotors when I bought the engine for discount.. or use ur stock civic mount. You need a 99 si rear bracket mount and a driver side screw mount from a 99 si (those 2 screw looking things, you have to take off ur plastic timing belt cover to change it)
2. Keep your stock engine harness.. the motor is gonna come with a right hand drive engine harness.. DO NOT use the RHD harness but instead use it for parts like plugs.. ur gonna need it.. UNLESS you have an Ex harness which is a direct plug and play.. just extend some o2 sensor wires and plug an individual plug into the IAB solenoid for your manifold directly to the ECU..your gonna need obd2a ecu because a obd2b ecu which is usually 2000-2001 has an immobilizer which makes it hell for you to use the ecu.. so stick with a 94-97 ecu that they give you.. since ur car is 2000 your engine harness is gonna be odb2b so your gonna need a conversion harness from odb2b to odb2a..
3. You might but it depends.. just change timing belt, water pump, tensioner, oil filter and flush out ur radiator system.. just make sure you adjust timing correctly when you put on the new timing belt then everything will be fine..
4. Yes you will need to replace hoses.. just go to autozone and take off the top radiator hose and tell them you need one a little bigger. or get it from a 97-01 integra gsr..
5. I have no clue but I beleive your suppose to use one from a 99 si..
Note: your gonna need a b series shift linkage, b series axels, a box for your air intake or an aftermarket air intake and maybe a longer fuel line in case it doesnt reach. youll come across lil things that you might need.. mainly hoses and vacuum lines.. just go to autozone and get all the hoses that you might need to make it fit correctly
GOOD LUCK
Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Gsr Swap reassurment questions. (raidacaipo)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1822781

right in the FAQ area
Old 05-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. Keep your stock engine harness.. the motor is gonna come with a right hand drive engine harness.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

only if it's JDM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your gonna need obd2a ecu because a obd2b ecu which is usually 2000-2001 has an immobilizer which makes it hell for you to use the ecu.. so stick with a 94-97 ecu that they give you.. since ur car is 2000 your engine harness is gonna be odb2b so your gonna need a conversion harness from odb2b to odb2a.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A '99 P72 from a USDM GSR has no immobilizer and is OBD2b. Or run an OBD2 JDM P72 which never had an immobilizer, but you will need an OBD2b-&gt;OBD2a conversion harness to the ECU. All OBD2 JDM P72s are OBD2a pinout equivalent.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4. Yes you will need to replace hoses.. just go to autozone and take off the top radiator hose and tell them you need one a little bigger. or get it from a 97-01 integra gsr.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to replace both upper and lower with ones from a GSR.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or run an OBD2 JDM P72 which never had an immobilizer,

</TD></TR></TABLE>
the 00-01 integras have immobilizers... obd2b USDM p72.. I dont think I sayd the jdm p72 had the immobilizers.. maybe I did a typo..
Old 05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only if it's JDM

A '99 P72 from a USDM GSR has no immobilizer and is OBD2b. Or run an OBD2 JDM P72 which never had an immobilizer, but you will need an OBD2b-&gt;OBD2a conversion harness to the ECU. All OBD2 JDM P72s are OBD2a pinout equivalent.

You need to replace both upper and lower with ones from a GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I believe you can just replace the lower radiator hose not the top one.. sorry.. I beleive you can reuse the top one BUT its better if he replaces 2 hoses for correct fitment.. also maybe even the water heater hose on the back of the firewall.. sometimes they are pretty short therefore your gonna get leakage.. it also had to bend in towards the block..
Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did this swap in my ek and I bought the motor from hmotorsonline the exact same one..
1. Either buy aftermarket mounts, I bought hasport mounts from hmotors when I bought the engine for discount.. or use ur stock civic mount. You need a 99 si rear bracket mount and a driver side screw mount from a 99 si (those 2 screw looking things, you have to take off ur plastic timing belt cover to change it)
2. Keep your stock engine harness.. the motor is gonna come with a right hand drive engine harness.. DO NOT use the RHD harness but instead use it for parts like plugs.. ur gonna need it.. UNLESS you have an Ex harness which is a direct plug and play.. just extend some o2 sensor wires and plug an individual plug into the IAB solenoid for your manifold directly to the ECU..your gonna need obd2a ecu because a obd2b ecu which is usually 2000-2001 has an immobilizer which makes it hell for you to use the ecu.. so stick with a 94-97 ecu that they give you.. since ur car is 2000 your engine harness is gonna be odb2b so your gonna need a conversion harness from odb2b to odb2a..
3. You might but it depends.. just change timing belt, water pump, tensioner, oil filter and flush out ur radiator system.. just make sure you adjust timing correctly when you put on the new timing belt then everything will be fine..
4. Yes you will need to replace hoses.. just go to autozone and take off the top radiator hose and tell them you need one a little bigger. or get it from a 97-01 integra gsr..
5. I have no clue but I beleive your suppose to use one from a 99 si..
Note: your gonna need a b series shift linkage, b series axels, a box for your air intake or an aftermarket air intake and maybe a longer fuel line in case it doesnt reach. youll come across lil things that you might need.. mainly hoses and vacuum lines.. just go to autozone and get all the hoses that you might need to make it fit correctly
GOOD LUCK </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I use the ecu that i get from hmo and use a 94-97 usdm gsr harness then i wont run into the OBD2b -&gt; OBD2a problem right? how hard is it to swap out harnesses? really.

And i geuss im just not gonna use a p/s pump cuz it sounds like a hassle.

Oh and if I get the mounts offered by hmo i wont need to hunt for the si mounts? like i can just request the mounts to fit my ek? and why do i need axels and stuff? doesnt it come in the package?

well it sounds like a project. Ill get back at you guys when its in and i need help getting some things done right. in the mean time BUMP for more info. and thx again.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Romo Pyro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If I use the ecu that i get from hmo and use a 94-97 usdm gsr harness then i wont run into the OBD2b -&gt; OBD2a problem right? how hard is it to swap out harnesses? really.

And i geuss im just not gonna use a p/s pump cuz it sounds like a hassle.

Oh and if I get the mounts offered by hmo i wont need to hunt for the si mounts? like i can just request the mounts to fit my ek? and why do i need axels and stuff? doesnt it come in the package?

well it sounds like a project. Ill get back at you guys when its in and i need help getting some things done right. in the mean time BUMP for more info. and thx again. </TD></TR></TABLE>
if you go there and talk to Steve he will help you out alot.. he will give u everything you need.. you can buy all the bracket mounts from them at a discount price too.. well you CANT use the gsr harness.. your car is a 96-00 so its a 1 piece wire harness while gsr is just a different story.. just simply take off the harness from your single cam and retro fit it to the gsr motor before you throw it in.. if you already have a vtec single cam in ur car then you dont have to modify ANYTHING.. you dont have to touch the harness at all since it has the knocksensor wire, the vtec wire, IACV 3 plug to 2 plug fix, the IAT square plug to round plug fix.. all u have to worry about is extending the o2 sensor wires to reach and thats it... there are 2 different types of engine harnesses for 96-00.. 1 is obd2a which is from 96-98.. the other is your car model 99-00 which is odb2b.. if you can ask Steve at Hmo for a obd2B jdm p72 ecu.. tell him the year of your car so he will know.. if you can get a obd2b jdm p72 then you wont have to buy a conversion harness from obd2a=&gt;obd2b.. the axels, b series shiftlinkage, complete motor, ecu and jdm right hand drive harness comes with the package.. the thing that doesnt come with the package is the rear si bracket mount and the si driver side passenger mount.. ask him about it.. you can maybe get it for $160 for both brand new.. IT IS MANDATORY that you get those.. swapping harnesses is really easy because they only fit a certain way.. the only ones youll get confused about is the map sensor and the tps sensor since they both look alike.. when u start your car and if it sounds funny then switch those sensors around thats all.. heres a helpful website:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=558245
and this one
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/
Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here the driver side screw mount that you need from a 99 si

and this is with hasport mounts on it

Heres the rear bracket mount from 99 si with hasport mount on it

I took out the old civic harness and modified it for the gsr motor

extended o2 sensor wires or you can buy an extension at password jdm for like 25 bucks

heres car with motor installed

I have more pictures if you need to know what something looks like..
Old 05-21-2008, 07:03 PM
GO GIANTS!

You need 99-00 Si EM1 L bracket. (Torque Bracket)

Driver Side Block bracket from 99-00 Si EM1 use the studs from D16Y8.

Lower Passenger Side Transmission Bracket from B Series. (Integra/EM1/Del Sol VTEC B16)

Lower Driver Side A/C bracket from Del Sol VTEC. (I used EM1 and it wouldnt line up correctly but it still worked with like one bolt removed.)

Use your stock harness, make sure you have the correct Jumper Harness OBD2a-OBD1 or OBD2b-OBD1.

Extend your Primary 02 sensor because SOHC have it in the front and B Series is under the intermidiate shaft before cat.

If your motor is OBD1 worry about finding a OBD2 Dizzy or making harness for it.

Rewiring Injectors.

Rewiring Alternator green plug.

OBD2 and OBD1 plugs for these 3 things is diffrent.

You will also need the GSR Upper and Lower Radiator hoses.

Remove your radiator so it wont crack like mine did since my friend slipped and engine smacked the radiator.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG RAIDACAIPO IS THE MAN !!!!! HAHAHA Wow man I can like picture my entire swap in my head because of you. Dude Thank YOU!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Romo Pyro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OMG RAIDACAIPO IS THE MAN !!!!! HAHAHA Wow man I can like picture my entire swap in my head because of you. Dude Thank YOU! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes I am
Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man one more thing... If you dont mind me asking, How much this this entire swap run you from start to finish?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel guilty but I would say $4,000 :X I wanted everything to be new and no short cuts.. you can save so much more if you simply buy used parts or find cheaper parts by buying off of people.. I wanted all the stuff now so I ended up buying at dealer prices..

Quick Reply: Gsr Swap reassurment questions.