Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR Swap in EG Hatch

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Swap in EG Hatch

I have a 1993 CX Hatch and am swapping in a GSR. The Block is an OBD2 and the head is OBD1. I am wondering what would be the easiest way to wire my motor up perfectly for my car. I have read on forums about using the stock civic harness and just adding in the wires for vtec, and knock sensor. Since this is a GSR, it has the butterfly valves in the intake manifold, but those have been removed. I am still using the stock manifold. My tuner will tune it for no IAB's. Since the block and head are different OBD versions, I heard that the wiring will not be different for the sensors on the block (knock sensor, oil temp sensor etc.). But I am confused when it comes to wiring and I guess my question is that what is the best way to wire up the GSR for my car. I have heard of Hasport sub harnesses, but I am not sure what a sub harness is compared to the actual harness. And if I were to use my stock d15 harness, would all of the plugs match up to the ones on the GSR, as well as adding in the knock sensor, and vtec wires?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Swap in EG Hatch

If you no longer have IAB's...I believe the only huge difference between your harness and the GSR's is VTEC. Might as well just add that to your harness rather than purchasing an entirely new harness.

This is an absolute AMAZING resource for wiring:
http://technet.ff-squad.com/
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright. I actually dont have any harness for the GSR. I have heard that I can use my stock d15 engine harness and that it should plug into the gsr motor when it goes in. and just adding the vtec wires, and knock sensor. not too sure on how to do that though. wiring sucks. hence being the obd2 block and obd1 head, also heard that there wouldnt be a difference either. is that true?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rule number 1: Always use your original harness from the car and add more wires later. Unless you have an eg, the integra harness will virtually plug and play with the eg especially if you have an integras GSR harness.

You are lucky that the head is obd1 therefore, I'm assuming that the injector wires are obd1 and distributor is obd1 since your vehicle is obd1 already. This means its plug and play.

My suggestion: Take out your original harness from the civic. Start plugging it into the sensors on the gsr motor while the motor is out of the car. At this time you can start adding wires and seeing what sensors need to be plugged up.

If you have a JDM gsr engine harness, keep it for sensor parts! You cannot reuse it for your left hand drive vehicle.

If you have the USDM gsr engine harness that came with the motor, then KEEP that and replace it with your original civic harness. Just use it and plug and play

*In my opinion, the IABS is a great function! I wouldn't open it up and remove the middle plate for any reason if you plan on using it. Its function was to give you more torque in the low end, then opens up in the high end because we all know people don't drive around engaging in vtec all day.

You don't need a tuner to disable the IABs. All you have to do is just unplug it and it will remain open. Especially if you removed the middle plate for it. There will not be a check engine light at all!

As for the knock sensor and oil switch, they are all the same. The only wires you would have to wire up is the knock sensor, vtec, vtec pressure switch, IAB, and maybe do the IACV conversion. I'm not really sure for EG civics but for EK the IAB conversion is a must!

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring/wiring.92-95.jpg
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thank you!! I only have the motor, no harness. So I will use my stock harness and do what you said to install it and then add the knock sensor and vtec wires. I am getting a new obd1 distributor, and the injectors are stock and the head being obd1 probably makes the injectors obd1. I will button everything up when the distributor is on and tranny and then read more about how to do the wiring for the KS and Vtec. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

depending on the intake manifold you use on the GSR engine you will use your stock harness and either the EGCX-GSR or EGCX-VTEC subharness
Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

IACV are both 2 wire no need to convert there. The CX (unless its California model) has a one wire O2 so you'll have to wire up the additional 3 wires. VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch and knock sensor will have to be added to your harness. Other than that it should be plug and play as long as your injectors and distributor on the GSR are OBD1. You will also have an extra plug around the crank that is the CKF and won't be used so tuck it out of the way. Check my sig below for any wiring needs or if you have any questions about wiring PM me.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasport
depending on the intake manifold you use on the GSR engine you will use your stock harness and either the EGCX-GSR or EGCX-VTEC subharness
I have a 1993 cx hatch that came stock with the 8 valve d15 but when i got it, it was swapped for a 16 valve d15b7 and they kept the stock manifold and everything so my engine is being suffocated. and its slow. IT obviously obd1 so either your gsr or vtec subharness will work. and will that avoid wiring going with your harness?

thanks again
Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
IACV are both 2 wire no need to convert there. The CX (unless its California model) has a one wire O2 so you'll have to wire up the additional 3 wires. VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch and knock sensor will have to be added to your harness. Other than that it should be plug and play as long as your injectors and distributor on the GSR are OBD1. You will also have an extra plug around the crank that is the CKF and won't be used so tuck it out of the way. Check my sig below for any wiring needs or if you have any questions about wiring PM me.
alright sounds good. The entire top end is obd1 and new distributor is on the way. sounds allot easier now with more input and thus the links given above help out allot. I will for sure PM you if I run into anything. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasport
yes i am using the stock gsr intake manifold. the butterfly valves were taken out though for some reason by the previous owner. what harness would be best to use the gsr intake maifold, and lets say a skunk 2 if i were to upgrade?

thanks