Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad Gas Mileage on eg si, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Gas Mileage on eg si, need help

My gas mileage feels as if its getting worse. Any Ideas as what it could be?

I changed the distributor o-ring, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, 02 sensor, oil, valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, valve cover bolt bushings and finished it by sea foaming the gas tank, crankcase and vacuum hose of the intake manifold. Brakes and tire pressure is fine as well.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bad Gas Mileage on eg si, need help

Did you do the PCV valve? Clean ALL your grounds, I mean every single one of them.. If you can get a decent multi/ohm meter, check the resistance between the grounded device and the battery, should be definitely less than 1 ohm of resistance, and ideal would be less than .5 ohm or best, near zero ohms. Have you actually calculated your fuel economy? Please don't tell me you have a check engine light!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new battery, no check engine lights and made sure the grounds have a really good connection. took off the pcv, was about to replace it with an autozone one but that **** broke apart in my hands so i decided to use the original one again. looked clean and not clogged or anything so i put it back on. I know that I should change the ignition wires soon.

o and no clue on how to check the ohms, i know that you need a multimeter and set it on that upsidedown horseshoe. but where do i place the leads? How do I accurately calculate my fuel economy?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o yeah, it does the normal fluctuation when making right turns to get on to the free way but it goes back to normal on leveled surfaces
Old 04-09-2011, 05:47 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleoazn03
My gas mileage feels as if its getting worse.
What do you mean you feel it's getting worse? What are you using to determine that? The Force?
How do I accurately calculate my fuel economy?
For a rough estimate set the tripmeter to zero the next time you fill up and make note of where the fuel gauge was and how many gallons of gas you put in. When the fuel level gets to where it was before you filled it up check the tripmeter again and divide that number by how many gallons you put in. Do that a couple of times. Compare the numbers over time to see any changes.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

X2 for the fillup trick,

cause your fuel gauge or fuel sending unit could be giving false readings

i know mine does (doesnt fill to the 100% mark, and can drive 100 more miles even though its passed the E mark)
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

new battery, no check engine lights and made sure the grounds have a really good connection. took off the pcv, was about to replace it with an autozone one but that **** broke apart in my hands so i decided to use the original one again. looked clean and not clogged or anything so i put it back on. I know that I should change the ignition wires soon.

o and no clue on how to check the ohms, i know that you need a multimeter and set it on that upsidedown horseshoe. but where do i place the leads? How do I accurately calculate my fuel economy?
Well when you check resistance, just put any lead on one end of the wire and another lead on the other end of the wire. So for example, to check the resistance of the ground for the o2 sensor.. Put one lead on the body of the o2 sensor and another lead on the negative on the battery terminal. Don't apply power like put one lead on the negative of a battery and one on the positive because that will at the least blow a fuse on the meter.

When you're checking the resistance of a ground or a wire, you test it in parallel opposed to serial.

If you want to be 100% certain, be sure to disconnect the battery and when testing the grounds, put the probe on the battery cable itself. I may have underestimated the importance of cutting power to the entire circuit, even if it is a ground.

As for the PCV valve, the aftermarket are all made the same, and there is a chance the one you get is defective, so just get another one until it's good. I know I had to "test" three valves before I got to a good one. They're dirt cheap so quality control on these isn't too great. One way to test a PCV valve is to put the part that goes into the engine into your mouth, look upwards and blow into it and then see if you can suck onto it. If you can't suck onto it, it's good, if you can, it's bad. It's a check valve, i.e. one way valve. My autozone PCV valve works great in my civic and so does the one I installed in another car for a friend.