Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR Set Up Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Set Up Questions

I have a stock GSR with bolt ons and soon i'm gona have to change the head gasket so i figured i might as well build the head. I'm planing on using skunk 2 pro 2 cams, crower valve springs n retainers, supertech flat valves, and arp head studs. I have a couple of questions tho, would those cams be safe to daily drive and with a stock block? the car is my daily. Also should i spend the extra money and buy a Hondata S300 ecu? is it worth it? would i see more power gains at the dyno? would the motor run better then with a p28 on chrome?....let me know what u guys think. Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Set Up Questions

anyone?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this going to be your daily? pro2 cams are meant for track use only, and depending on the piston/valve clearance you might not be able to use these cams.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 PM

tuner series would be better for a reliable daily.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that higher lift cams will require stiffer springs and you'll wear rockers and lost motion assemblies out faster.

Get some head work done, ITR valves (Omni makes some ITR replicas at a fair price) and maybe you could use a milder cam and get the same sort of flow.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
Keep in mind that higher lift cams will require stiffer springs and you'll wear rockers and lost motion assemblies out faster.

Get some head work done, ITR valves (Omni makes some ITR replicas at a fair price) and maybe you could use a milder cam and get the same sort of flow.
Im gona use supertech high compression flat valves...Which cams would u recommend for me then?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ur mpg will suk with S2 stage2 cams but as far as Hondata over Crome there is no real tunability advantage, hondata is easier for the noobs to use and has better tech support that's about it tho. Oh but Hondata is $300 more than a Crome setup too.. I would just do some ITR or CTR cams for daily use if I was u.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u dont think ill make more power using tuner 2s or crower stage 1s over the ctrs?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah u'll make more power but less mpg, up 2 u which one u want more of.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does everyone assume that with more power your gas mileage is going to instantly become crap? I’m at 182whp in my DD with ITR cams and a very good tune and get over 30mpg highway. I changed my header to a SMSP last week and am expecting to get very close to 200whp and just got 29mpg on the last tank with the new header, it was mostly city driving untuned. It is all about the tune.

To the OP. Why are you changing the Head gasket?
It is recommended that you match valve train components if possible when you install new cams.
If this is going to stay your DD and your NOT going to increase the compression ratio I would do the following.
Send the head to http://www.cccylinderheads.com/ , for a basic clean up, he is on this site very good price. Get ITR Springs, SuperTech or Omni Valves and a then use a basic cam ITR, BC3+, Skunk Tuner 1. If you have bigger plans than make sure you plan everything out. Don’t forget the tuning, Hondata, Crome, ECTUNE, many other.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You won't decent gains with the pro 2s without bumping compression... Go with the tuner stage 2 cams... You can't just slap super aggressive cams into your car and expect serious gains...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does everyone assume that with more power your gas mileage is going to instantly become crap?
I say this because it's true in 90% of cases and I will mostly agree with ur statement about it's all in the tune. It's 80% in the tune and 20% in the mechanical tune, so ur ecu tune has to match ur mech tune(Idk if many will understand that). Tercel is right as well to get the most out of ur cams they need to match the rest of ur setup and b tuned in both mechaniclly and electroniclly (in our case). So if u want mpg then OH 1fstgsr gave u a mpg # he has and with the skunk tuner cams u may only loose 1mpg, Idk the profile on those cams. I do know the skunk2 s2 and the BC3+ r very agressive and demand a lot of fuel.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OH_1fstgsr
Why does everyone assume that with more power your gas mileage is going to instantly become crap? I’m at 182whp in my DD with ITR cams and a very good tune and get over 30mpg highway. I changed my header to a SMSP last week and am expecting to get very close to 200whp and just got 29mpg on the last tank with the new header, it was mostly city driving untuned. It is all about the tune.

It is recommended that you match valve train components if possible when you install new cams.
If this is going to stay your DD and your NOT going to increase the compression ratio I would do the following.
Send the head to http://www.cccylinderheads.com/ , for a basic clean up, he is on this site very good price. Get ITR Springs, SuperTech or Omni Valves and a then use a basic cam ITR, BC3+, Skunk Tuner 1. If you have bigger plans than make sure you plan everything out. Don’t forget the tuning, Hondata, Crome, ECTUNE, many other.
The head gasket is starting to go..I'm gona use supertech flat valves, crower dual valve springs and titanium retainers, arp head studs and i'm still deciding on the cams...Arent BC3 cams too agressive? yea im thinking of going with skunk 2 tuner 1 or crower stage 1. Wat do u think?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueRex1020
The head gasket is starting to go..I'm gona use supertech flat valves, crower dual valve springs and titanium retainers, arp head studs and i'm still deciding on the cams...Arent BC3 cams too agressive? yea im thinking of going with skunk 2 tuner 1 or crower stage 1. Wat do u think?
I have the skunk2 tuner stage 1 cams with full skunk2 valvetrain in my car... I am very happy with the results just make sure you get a tune...
Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BC3+ to aggressive for what? These cams can run from 10:1 to 13:1 and make good power. They also can be used with ITR valve springs. The Skunk2 tuner 1 has been beaten by ITR cams before. Not sure about the Crower. I would go ITR or BC+3 if it was me. Since the head is off get it clean up and milled a bit that plus the valves should give you a nice compression increase.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 PM

BC3+ to aggressive for what? These cams can run from 10:1 to 13:1...
The CR parameters are too vague. Compression doesn't mean everything. If you are aware of camshaft design, the cam design can trick the engine/ecu into believing the compression is higher. A 10:1 CR will not require a tune nor will it require an EMS. However, a 12:1 CR will require both. So how can it optimally work in such a vague CR parameter?

CR is the ability of the engine to extract more mechanical energy from a given mass of air-fuel mixture due to its thermal efficiency. In other words, it is the process of the engine where it converts chemical energy into heat which ultimately converts this heat into mechanical energy. It's Charles law.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 PM

anyone?
To answer your question I recently ordered a Bisi level 2 cam. A level 1 bisimoto cam is designed with a factory idle and it is emission friendly. But I wanted something a little more aggressive.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to do something cheaper than this set up is swap a itr head on ur gsr bottom end. It will be safe to drive for a daily. Other wise on s300 might be a good idea. But might be a lil pricey to
Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BC3+ to aggressive for what? These cams can run from 10:1 to 13:1 and make good power. They also can be used with ITR valve springs. The Skunk2 tuner 1 has been beaten by ITR cams before. Not sure about the Crower. I would go ITR or BC+3 if it was me. Since the head is off get it clean up and milled a bit that plus the valves should give you a nice compression increase.
Skunk2 tuner stage 1 cams definitely make power above and beyond ITR cams, not sure where you're getting your information from...
Old 10-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
Skunk2 tuner stage 1 cams definitely make power above and beyond ITR cams, not sure where you're getting your information from...
Do you have any dyno? I have some old ones from when these cams orginally came out, from late 90's. Why do think more people run ITR cams that Tuner Stage 1 cams?
I'll see if I can find any of this old information.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are details about my build in this post.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/picked-up-my-smsp-header-more-power-soon-2629961/

Last edited by OH_1fstgsr; 10-16-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what mods are on your car?

I got a GSR and want to use type R cams, thinner HG, S2 Intake manifold, Intake, header, And Cutout.... Can i put down close to your numbers with a tune on chipped P28?

This is all in preparations for boost.. Just want the car faster while its not boosted....
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any dyno? I have some old ones from when these cams orginally came out, from late 90's. Why do think more people run ITR cams that Tuner Stage 1 cams?
I'll see if I can find any of this old information.
People run the ITR cams because they are good for a few hp without a dyno tune and they can typically be found for cheaper... If you put in skunk2 stage 1 cams without a tune it will run like garbage... Look at the lift and duration of the cams, the skunk2 cams are more aggressive especially on the exhaust side...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo227
what mods are on your car?

I got a GSR and want to use type R cams, thinner HG, S2 Intake manifold, Intake, header, And Cutout.... Can i put down close to your numbers with a tune on chipped P28?

This is all in preparations for boost.. Just want the car faster while its not boosted....
ITR cams are good for boost and so are GSR cams. So keep those. As for the thinner HG, why? Your compression is going to be higher than 10:1. Stock GSR's compression is ok for boost. Header no need if you’re going FI.
Do not get a chipped ECU get the car tuned. Crome or Hondata.

It is not very cost effective to start building for NA than changing to FI. Set you direction and stick to it.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there somewhere that i can find a comparison of gsr to itr cams? i have a b16 and want to do cams but not sure which of the two i am going to go with. is there a major difference in where you get your power and a substantial difference in hp that is created with either one?

Quick Reply: GSR Set Up Questions