Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR Radiator in EG Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Radiator in EG Civic?

Has anyone replaced their stock Sohc EG Civic radiator with a GSR one? Is this a bolt- in and connect -up easy procedure? Please help! Any info on this topic is much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (94JDMEG)

yes but you need to fabricate the radiator mount
Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 PM

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (Quitripin)

will i need new hoses? will the electrical fan connectors connect right up?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will i need new hoses? will the electrical fan connectors connect right up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The integra hoses are a bit bigger in diameter compared to the civic hoses. Ive heard that some people just fit the civic hose over the integra radiator..... ive tried it but i guess i just dont have the strength to do so ha ha. Neways i bought integ hoses and put them over small cut pieces of the civic hoses. Than i clamped em down. Ive had the gsr radiator in my ek for about 2 months, engine hasnt heated up yet... so far so good i guess.

Yah the electrical fan connectors connect.
i
Old 06-28-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (khaa)

are you sure that both fans will connect-up and run in my EG?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be easier if you used a delsol vtec dohc radiator no mods needed.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:00 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (eg6si)

yeah get a del sol dual core.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (AzntaggeR)

I already have the GSR one. What mods will I have to make to it?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you running a dohc motor?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it can be done, you need to fab up a new rtadiator support, other than that everything should work fine.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (B Cruz)

I also would like to know this. I have a 93 civic w/ B16A gen2 and I tried using my friend's 96 GSR radiator but it won't even fit at all. I have my A/C off and noticed where the A/C sits, it has these 2 holders and they get in the way when you put the GSR radiator on there....so you might have to cut them off.

Another problem I found is the fan won't go on the radiator where the two bolts lign up and that the radiator won't mount on easily. Maybe I did something wrong here or I have a different GSR radiator, but that's how I experienced it. Many people say it's been done, but I don't see them running into this problem much. Right now I'm temporarily using my stock z6 radiator and it's working just fine....thermostat reads 1/2 way max everytime.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (handa)

i have a sohc motor. making custom brackets is no problem but i am not ready to do any custom wiring. so if it will connect up and run than i should be just fine.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like someone stated the GSR radiator have a bigger diameter piping or hoses. If you drop the GSR radiator in, the hoses will line up perfectly like on the stock radiator. Since the hoses are different in diameter for the GSRvs stock....i'd buy any 94+ B-series hoses (2) and clamp them on really really tight. The radiator hoses will have no problem securing on the radiator, but it might have a hard time securing on the motor since the sohc motor have a smaller diameter pipe for the hose.

my z6 radiator was a bitch leaking on the bottom. make sure you secure it really tight on the hoses.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

since you have a sohc, the best thing to do for better cooling is run a dual core AUTOMATIC sohc radiator.

don't even bother using a GS-R radiator in a civic if you are running a sohc.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:27 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B Cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">since you have a sohc, the best thing to do for better cooling is run a dual core AUTOMATIC sohc radiator.

don't even bother using a GS-R radiator in a civic if you are running a sohc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what if your running a SOHC that bigger than 1.6L
Old 06-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what if your running a SOHC that bigger than 1.6L </TD></TR></TABLE>

bored out or a F sohc?

bored out I would suggest a fluidine or something similar.

if you are running a F-series sohc and the coolant neck on the head is the same size as the b-series, then I would run a fluidine for a dohc del sol.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 AM
H-T Order of Merit

soon-to-be F series. I think the coolant neck is in the same place in the head. You think the Fluidine for a DOHC Del Sol will be sufficient? Is the GSR radiator over-kill?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">soon-to-be F series. I think the coolant neck is in the same place in the head. You think the Fluidine for a DOHC Del Sol will be sufficient? Is the GSR radiator over-kill?</TD></TR></TABLE>
will the motor be stock? drag raced? top end track racing with turns?

if the coolant neck is the same diameter as the b then get a fluidine meant for a dohc del sol.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:41 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B Cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
will the motor be stock? drag raced? top end track racing with turns?

if the coolant neck is the same diameter as the b then get a fluidine meant for a dohc del sol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the motor won't be all out but it will be all motor. Nothing extreme, most likely just some weekend autocrossing.

What is the diameter of the B series coolant neck? I'll check the size on my F series later today.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">soon-to-be F series. I think the coolant neck is in the same place in the head. You think the Fluidine for a DOHC Del Sol will be sufficient? Is the GSR radiator over-kill?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got a friend with a f23 in his civic that was overheating, so he upgraded to a gsr radiator.
I've got another friend who is running an h22 on a stock civic radiator with no problems at all.

I think wether or not you will need to upgrade your radiator will depend on the condition of your stock one, how hot it gets where you live, and what you are going to use it for.

I used a stock civic radiator with my old itr swap(w/ nitrous) and never had it overheat. I even took it on a couple road trips with no problems.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:47 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (Slopoke)

sounds good, thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 04:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already have the GSR one. What mods will I have to make to it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what i did.... The integ radiator doesnt fit in very nicely in an ek/eg. You can see (in my EK at least) that on the driver side there are 2 brackets that are in the way for the radiator to be flush.... I used my grinder and cut those 2 brackets on the driver side off. The radiator will sit flush now, but it will not be steady. You have to put some sort of cushion on the bottom, or something to hold the radiator in place. I used 2 metal plates that connect from the radiator to the engine bay... there are pics somewhere on HT...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a sohc motor. making custom brackets is no problem but i am not ready to do any custom wiring. so if it will connect up and run than i should be just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok about the wiring. Theres 2 fans. One of the fans can be connected no problem. The other fan COULD be connected but its not necessary... unless you know u need the extra fan to cool the engine... But im not using it, one fan is enough for my sohc motor. If u need the other fan to work, than u can just rewire it to ur harness wires somewhere...

Oh yes and be sure that u clamp that **** down tight.... leaks are no good =[
Old 06-29-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Re: GSR Radiator in EG Civic? (khaa)

thanks for the responses everyone. i just cleaned up my GSR radiator and compared it to my civic one yesterday. i found that infact the cooling fan will connect right up. as for the ac fan that will be another story. i am not running ac so this will not be a problem. the one cooling fan should provide plenty of cooling. i am going to install it tomorrow, so i will let everyone know how it goes. if i have time i might try and wire up the ac fan for dual cooling. but i will have to see. thanks again for the advise.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 PM

Default 94JDMEG's GSR Radiator Swap into EG Civic Write-Up

I finished installing my GSR Radiator/Fan into my EG Civic. I was able to re-use my Civic radiator hoses with my GSR Radiator. They are smaller but with some force (silicone spray helps here) it can be done. The GSR fan wires connected right up with the Civic connector. I removed both of the lower A/C brackets and relocated the lower radiator brackets. Then made an upper radiator bracket and used the stock bracket after some bending that was it.
<U>Parts needed: </U>
1) 2 Gallons of Honda 50/50 Pre-Diluted Coolant (other brands work fine also look for 50/50 it is ready to use...you wont need all 2 gallons just more than one and they only sell by the gallon
2) *Upper and Lower radiator hoses *only if you decide to not re-use the stock ones
3) 5 10mm heavy-duty self-tapping license plate screws, 1 small black self-tapping screw
4) Silicone Spray (comes in handy)
5) Some Strap metal with holes (atleast 6-8in for upper mount)

<U>Tools needed:</U>
1) Air Compressor
2) Air Hammer w/ punch
3) 3/8 in. Impact Gun w 10mm socket
4) Pry Bar
5) Pliers
6) Drill w/ bits
7) Hammer
8) *Vice *this helps a lot
9) Bolt Breaker/ Heavy Duty Side Cutter
10) Flat Head Screwdriver-always comes in handy to remove stuck on hoses

Here is my easy 25 step write up:<U></U>
1. Disconnect the fan wire connector
2. Drain the coolant from the stock radiator by removing the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. Remove the cap to help it drain faster but only when the car is cool!!!!!
3. Once drained re-install the drain plug.
4. Loosen all 3 radiator hose clamps and the coolant overflow clamp and slide clamps free.
5. Remove the upper radiator hose. (only from the motor if using a new hose)
6. Remove the coolant overflow hose and lower radiator hose from the radiator
7. Remove the upper radiator bracket
8. Lift out radiator from vehicle
9. Remove both lower A/C brackets and discard (these are spot welded to the frame, an air hammer is necessary to break them off, a pry bar would do it eventually)
10. Remove both lower radiator brackets and reuse (these are spot welded to the frame, first use a pry bar to bend them and break the welds a bit, then carefully remove them with an air hammer or use the pry bar until removed)
11. Take the two lower radiator brackets to a flat surface...i.e...a sturdy shop table or the ground (here a vice works even better if you have one) and hammer (the upper part of the bracket where the welds were) flat....this is important because you will need a flat surface to meet the frame when you re-bolt them on)
12. Using a drill make two small holes on each side of the flat part of the brackets
13. Take two heavy duty self-tapping screws (a 10mm license plate self tapping screw works) and run them through the holes a few times to make them fit easily
14. Place the GSR radiator into the Civic engine bay and once you have it in place and it looks good...i.e...it is centered and not sitting too high, then make marks on each side of the bottom of the radiator on the frame with a permanent marker (you will need some assistance from someone holding the radiator while you are below marking)
15. Place the lower radiator brackets up against the frame underneath the rubber supports on each end of the radiator while your friend holds the radiator in the desired place. Mark the holes you drilled with the permanent marker when it is all lined up. Then lift the radiator back out.
16. Now using your marks as guides bolt-on both brackets. (use a 3/8in. impact gun with a 10mm socket and run them through carefully) *here it may also be necessary to drill small holes into the frame before sending the self-tapping bolts through...although i did not have too.
17. Lift in the GSR Radiator and check fitment (if it is a little off the use a hammer to slightly bend the brackets as necessary)
18. Reconnect the upper radiator hose and tighten up the clamps
19. Reconnect the lower radiator hose and tighten up the clamp (if using larger or after-market hoses discard the stock ones)
20. Reconnect the coolant overflow hose and tighten the clamp
21. Reconnect the fan wire connector
22. Fill the radiator with coolant (use 50/50 Honda pre-diluted coolant, use a coolant funnel and fill it 3/4 full, then start up the car) squeeze the hoses to get the air out and add more coolant as needed, once the air bubbles are gone and the radiator is full (you can wait for the fan to turn on also now)
23. Close the coolant funnel and lift out
24. Re-install the radiator cap and fill the coolant overflow can to the full mark
25. Connect the Upper Radiator Mounts. Using strap metal (you can cut it, bend it and it has holes for screws) make a custom upper radiator bracket to keep the radiator from touching the core support...this is important because you don't want it to rub and wear down...now the Civic one may be re-used but be careful to be sure the hood will close...I just used the strap metal and formed it around the passenger side upper radiator mount post and the core support and cut it to fit. I re-used the stock upper mount also on the opposite side after a little bending...this is very important because the new longer GSR radiator will need to be properly attatched from to top to keep it in place during driving, you don't want it too come loose! Use a bolt breaker or heavy duty side cutters to cut the bracket to size. I used a small self-tapping screw and fastened the metal bracket to the radiator mount post and a 10mm heavy-duty license plate self-tapping screw and fastened the metal bracket to the core support. It works fine. THAT's It!!!

Modified by 94JDMEG at 2:09 AM 7/4/2004

Modified by 94JDMEG at 7:56 PM 7/5/2004

Quick Reply: GSR Radiator in EG Civic?