Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gsr into ek...few questions before i begin..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr into ek...few questions before i begin..

ok well first offf i have a 96 civic hatchback dx..

ive been searching for several months..even bofore i planned on doing a swap because i wanted to do one, but maybe later on.but i recently bought a 96 gsr that was wrecked in tha qp for a good price.so i couldnt pass it up. so now ima slap teh swap in my hatch.

well......i pretty much figured some of it out like the mount issue ,iab wires...but a these few things i wonder.that im stuck on.

ive searched it and i saw that for the crank shaft fluctuation sensor.gsr is 2 wire and civic is 3 wire..well ok,were i read up on that it says to cut the plug off the motor harness from the gsr and put it on the civic harness..color match the wires and tape the extra to the side.im wondering

....i have a civic crank fluctuation sensor.

1) can i just cut the plug off that and switch it with the one off the gsr sensor??

shouldnt this be the same difference?
that way i wont have to cut either harness and it will connect to the civic harness.also by the way i have an ex civic harneess..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for the 2nd o2 sensor on the cat.i went to the junk yard and cut me a plug off the car harness from an integra so i can plug my o2 into that and then run wires from the plug to the ecu..ok well i saw one wire that was thicker than the other 3.it was like wraped twice or somtihng...

2)can i just run regular wire or is it for a reason that the wire is thicker or sheilded or whatever?

3)also what throttle cable should i use??gsr one or civic.ist stock manifold.

i think this should be it and i kinda am ready to do the swap....well beside order a few parts..
iny info would be helpful..thanks alot!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 AM

Default Re: gsr into ek...few questions before i begin.. (profesional-hobo)

anyone??
Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by profesional-hobo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for the 2nd o2 sensor on the cat.i went to the junk yard and cut me a plug off the car harness from an integra so i can plug my o2 into that and then run wires from the plug to the ecu..ok well i saw one wire that was thicker than the other 3.it was like wraped twice or somtihng...

2)can i just run regular wire or is it for a reason that the wire is thicker or sheilded or whatever?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Theres a reason for it, I suspect you will have some cross talk/interference issues with regular wire, I believe rywire sells a proper O2 extension harness for this purpose though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by profesional-hobo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3)also what throttle cable should i use??gsr one or civic.ist stock manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

GS-R throttle cable.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM

ya i saw that one at rywire....i was thinking abouit calling them and asking them but that i havent had time to.
ting is because the dx engine harness has both o2 sensor plugs on it and the ex engine harness has the manifold one and the car harness has the other.....
i waas gonna buy an obd1 ecu that way i wouldnt have to worry bout the 2nd o2 but the guy sold it before i got tha $.....

hmmm....
Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do what I did and just get an o2 simulator. Works like a charm and no CEL

http://www.o2simulator.com/ind..._id=7
Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Re: gsr into ek...few questions before i begin.. (VegasHB)

i called rywire..i asked them about the o2 extension.i i guess the just like if its relocated tho.they wanted me to send my harnesses in to make them fit the motor.

that o2 simulator just pins into the ecu and set it aside or what???
looks wierd...

thinkin about jus getin obd conversion.......
Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crankshaft sensor can be bypassed... http://www.ff-squad.com has the instructions how to do it.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM
ku
Honda-Tech Member

i am also doing a gsr motor swap into my ek3
both are obd2a
what engine loom do i use?
any wiring involved?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ku)

Use your ek harness and yes there will be some wireing involved. Just search it thats what I do.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92civiceg9gsr)

just adding more questions to the thread..

I got my GSR swap in (2001 gsr swap into 96 ek sedan). however it seem slike the clutch line does fitting does not work with the fitting from clutch slave cylinder on the gsr swap...any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2008, 01:40 AM

ok..ya i think ive seen that crankshaft sensor bypass awhile back..i forogt about that..maybe i can try that
also i just found a obd1 p72 i picked it up today so ima get a ecu jumper harness..

hey ku...and for the harness if your doing a swap.find same obd as your car,ex model harness will be easier off.because vtec and knock sensors and oil pressure and somthin else...or is that it?? but anyway they are already wired in to teh harness.but if you use dx or lx harness you gotta run the wires for that stuff...i called rywire and they told me its like 150 or 165 i cant remember...i would just let them do the wiring if its the dx or lx harness if you dont really know what to do...shouldnt be that hard tho.if you wanna pm me your email i can sned you a link or 2 with some info,i dont know how to post it up...hopefully it will work

and sanjiyan...you using the civic line or gsr line?
hmm..ive seen like the braided steel lines..
maybe need to get 00 si one or somthin...ill try to see what i can find
Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (profesional-hobo)

look if you plan on gettin the motor bard or swapped in legally while tryin to pass smog then good luck trying to wire all the evap purge solenoid sensors and etc... if you dont then just get a jdm p72 obd2a ecu OR get a usdm or jdm p72 obd1 ecu. The jdm p72 obd2a ecu doesnt look for a CFK sensor, vtec pressure switch, or the secondary cat for the o2 sensor or the evap purge solenoids. its virtually the same as a jdm p72 obd1 ecu. for throttle cable. If you plan on using the stock gsr throttle with the gsr manifold, then your gonna have to use a gsr throttle cable. if you plan on using a skunk2 manifold or blox then you need a type R throttle cable along with the throttle cable bracket and any besides the gsr throttle pulley. as for o2 sensor you can basically take the plug out of any harness. as long as its a 4 peice plug. any more questions? I have a jdm swap in my 97 ek hatch and I used the stock non vtec wire harness and converted it. oh also you need to use a gsr fuel line because you have a gsr head with a gsr fuel rail. if you were using a b16 head then you can reuse the stock civic fuel line because the b16 came out of a civic. make sure you reuse the proper washers.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 AM

i went ahead and got me obd1 72 ecu.i think its usdm...i gotta check
i read up on havnig an aftermarket mani..i was gonna do but ima just go ahead and leave it like that for right now...thats y i wasnt sure bout the throtle cable on the stock mani cuz i didnt find anyting....

thanks for the info people..
Old 09-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (sanjiyan69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanjiyan69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just adding more questions to the thread..

I got my GSR swap in (2001 gsr swap into 96 ek sedan). however it seem slike the clutch line does fitting does not work with the fitting from clutch slave cylinder on the gsr swap...any suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It should fit. But unless your original slave cylinder was bad or you were converting from an automatic theres no reason to change the slave cylinder, the old d-series one bolts up just fine and will save you the unneccessary labour of having to bleed the clutch.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by profesional-hobo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i went ahead and got me obd1 72 ecu.i think its usdm...i gotta check
i read up on havnig an aftermarket mani..i was gonna do but ima just go ahead and leave it like that for right now...thats y i wasnt sure bout the throtle cable on the stock mani cuz i didnt find anyting....

thanks for the info people.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I already told you.. read the above if you keep on asking questions. I answered almost everything for you already.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
look if you plan on gettin the motor bard or swapped in legally while tryin to pass smog then good luck trying to wire all the evap purge solenoid sensors and etc... if you dont then just get a jdm p72 obd2a ecu OR get a usdm or jdm p72 obd1 ecu. The jdm p72 obd2a ecu doesnt look for a CFK sensor, vtec pressure switch, or the secondary cat for the o2 sensor or the evap purge solenoids. its virtually the same as a jdm p72 obd1 ecu. for throttle cable. If you plan on using the stock gsr throttle with the gsr manifold, then your gonna have to use a gsr throttle cable. if you plan on using a skunk2 manifold or blox then you need a type R throttle cable along with the throttle cable bracket and any besides the gsr throttle pulley. as for o2 sensor you can basically take the plug out of any harness. as long as its a 4 peice plug. any more questions? I have a jdm swap in my 97 ek hatch and I used the stock non vtec wire harness and converted it. oh also you need to use a gsr fuel line because you have a gsr head with a gsr fuel rail. if you were using a b16 head then you can reuse the stock civic fuel line because the b16 came out of a civic. make sure you reuse the proper washers.
Hey, it sounds like i am finishing up the same swap you finished, except i have a 99 cx with the obd2b ecu. I just dropped in a 97 jdm gsr, everything is hooked up except the purge valve to the evap canister, and the throttle cable. (my harness was sent to rywire, waiting on that)

I went ahead and tried to install a usdm gsr throttle cable, and it seems like it is too long. With the adjustment maxed out, i still have about 1/2-1 inch of slack in the line. I could go to the pedal and put in some spacers, but i want to do things right. What did you end up doing?

As for the purge valve, you have to hook something up to the evap cansiter. Can i take my civic evap purge valve and hook it between the canister and intake manifold? It looks like the jdm gsr purge valve (which i don't have) was run by vacuum, were the usdm purge valve uses a harness to operate. Since the jdm p72 wiring doesn't look for the evap valve, how do i make the valve operate correctly? Do i need to get a purge valve that operates with vacuum?

I can post some pics if that would help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gsr into ek...few questions before i begin..

^^^ so anyone got the answer for what throttle cable to use on a jdm gsr?