Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time?

Ok guys I am trying to get as much info on this possible so when the time comes I just have to make the calls and drop the car off.

At this point I am leaning towards www.hondamotorsonline.com for the B18C1. Since I've heard they are reliable and have good engines. Also, they claim they'll beat any price. $3,300 plus shipping seems to be fair to me IF it's a good motor.

Here's what's included:

Complete motor and hydro tranny,ecu(P72),axles,shift linkage,stock motor mounts,engine harness and all sensors needed.Motors have under 35,000 miles and come with 100% start up warranty.Lsd tranny equipped available upon inquireing.(JDM and USDM spec available). Motors come with no sensors broken guarantee.

Is all that listed above OEM GSR parts? Is there anything else the installers will need for the swap to go in?

What ecu is a P72?

Should I look into the Lsd tranny upgrade or use the hydro tranny? What the hell is a hydro tranny?

Shift linkage is everything needed including the shifter, right?

How long should it take for a B18C1 in a h/b? I called a local shop and they said about a week @$850 if there are NO major problems. The guy said they deal with a lot of imports. I wanted to ask the guy "how would there be any problems since this is suppose to be a direct / pretty simple swap??"

Thanks for the info on this!

[Modified by LX98Civic, 7:58 PM 10/8/2002]
Old 10-08-2002, 12:54 PM
big strong guy

Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (LX98Civic)

p72 = yes
lsd = if you can afford it, get it!
honda motors online = great place!
linkage = yes
Average time for me to swap engine's and time would be under 8 hour's easy! one good saturday! Thats me taking my time and doing it right!
parts you should get = new clutch (pressure plate, throw out bearing, disk), resurface your flywheel or get another, I would swap out thermo. for new one, HONDA MTF 3 quarts is plenty, coolent, Oil (mobile1 10w/30 5 quarts !dont argue!), I would also look into getting vales adjusted (being you have no idea exact milage, its easy takes around 40 min if that), TIMING BELT (honda)! maybe more but off head thats about all extra you will need!

and for price, I would never pay anyone 800$ for a swap, I charge between 300-400 to do it, being what all needs to be done!

You want to make sure you go somewhere that has postive rep. if you decide to pay someone

BUT imo you can do it your self! I or any one else on this site can help you with wiring (easy) and other problems! plus there is alot of great info on web!

good luck, eric
Old 10-08-2002, 01:31 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (rainmanEK)

Average time for me to swap engine's and time would be under 8 hour's easy! one good saturday! Thats me taking my time and doing it right!

and for price, I would never pay anyone 800$ for a swap

BUT imo you can do it your self! I or any one else on this site can help you with wiring (easy) and other problems! plus there is alot of great info on web!
exactly. the swap is a no-brainer. swing loose two suspension bolts on each side (spindle-fork and castle nut/balljoint under the rotor) for the axles, rip the old engine out (retain all hoses/clamps/wires just in case!) and bolt in all the GSR engine mounts (except the rear one which is easier to work with if you bolt it to the block before you drop the engine). Bolt that badboy down, throw an exhaust manifold and tubing on there, plug in the 02 sensor, torque all nuts to spec, plug in the wiring harness and you're all set.

do it yourself. you'd be surprised how easy it is.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

TRUE, except that shift linkage pin can be a PITA!

But truthfully, try the swap yourself, just rent a motor hoist aka cherrypicker, and go to town. th e$400 you migh tpay someone to install a swap would go in your pocket! You may need to buy a few tools.. good ratchets, a breaker bar for the big'n'stubborn axlenuts, and a few other small things.
try it you just might surprise yourself!
Old 10-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (owen_the_soyboy)

yes, it is a very straight forward swap...but if you're not mechanically inclined- save the heartache and pay to have it done.

I (with the assistance of a good friend) did my swap myself (~8 hrs) and am proud to say so. However, not everyone wants to get their hands dirty or has the patience (or tools) to do so.

If you meet these criteria, do it yourslf, if not- pay the price and get it done right the first time.

It sounds like he's not considering the DIY option for a reason, could be lack of space or other variables, so he should have it done for him <read: bring it to meeeee! >
Old 10-08-2002, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (sinister)

if you are swapping this into a 6th gen civic, you will need the rear SI bracket, and the engine side bracket. If you want to keep AC, you will need a Del Sol AC bracket.

If your car is a 6th gen EX, you can use and should use your existing engine harness. NO integra harnesses will work. The Civic SI harness will not work.
So add an extra day or two to modify your stock harness to work on the Bmotor. You will need to extend a bunch of plugs.

SEARCH, you will find lots of information.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (LX98Civic)

I did my FIRST swap EVER about 4 weeks ago. A B18C1 into an EG hatch.

It was total cake. I planned on workin gon it all weekend, but after class on Thursday I though that I would just tinker with the old engine and disconnect the wiring, hoses, etc...

Yup. And 2 hours later I had the engine sitting on the floor next to the car. The following day the GSR was in, hooked up and running.

Wiring took a little while, but it was so simple.

I'm guesing total time I worked was no more than 10 hours... And since then, I've done 2 more...

And I wouldn't pay over $500 for it, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't wait a week. 3 days TOPS!
Old 10-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look, the swap should be completed in one day provided there are no major problems and you give someone a COMPLETE swap. Even if it is not complete you can get the parts locally EASY. Anyone that tells you a WEEK and $850 is going to rip you off, keep the car for months, and charge you on top of that $850. Guarantee it. Anywhere around 500 is "fair." Anything more and anything more than a day and they're jacking you.

Learn how to do it yourself, hell any problems you run into will cost less than $850.

[Modified by SkyeC, 3:34 PM 10/8/2002]
Old 10-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (rainmanEK)

p72 = yes
lsd = if you can afford it, get it!
honda motors online = great place!
linkage = yes
parts you should get = new clutch (pressure plate, throw out bearing, disk), resurface your flywheel or get another, I would swap out thermo. for new one, HONDA MTF 3 quarts is plenty, coolent, Oil (mobile1 10w/30 5 quarts !dont argue!), I would also look into getting vales adjusted (being you have no idea exact milage, its easy takes around 40 min if that), TIMING BELT (honda)! maybe more but off head thats about all extra you will need!

and for price, I would never pay anyone 800$ for a swap, I charge between 300-400 to do it, being what all needs to be done!

You want to make sure you go somewhere that has postive rep. if you decide to pay someone

good luck, eric
Ok, you have 2 IM's

Since you are in Tampa and I have family in Orlando I am willing to let you do the install. You seem to know what you are talking about. If you are up to it and you don't mind I would like to get in the mix as well and learn a few things.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:47 PM

Default Re: GSR in h/b What all is needed and fair installation price / time? (owen_the_soyboy)

except that shift linkage pin can be a PITA!
haha... i was under there for about half hour pounding away... my friend said "let me show you..." 3 hits and it was out...
i loosened it
Old 10-09-2002, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default $300 for Lsd tranny?!?!?!

Here's the response I got from hondamotorsonline:

Thank you for taking an interest in our company. You might need
extra parts depending on what year your hatch is. Please add $300 for
an LSD equipped tranny. Currently shipping, handling, and insurance
run $275 to a commercial address or $300 to a residential. If you have
any other questions or concerns, please dont hesitate to give us a call
at the shop. We are always happy to help you out.

How is $300 for an equipped tranny? When they say "equipped" is it already installed on the engine? I definitely have the $$ for the Lsd so that is not a problem

I found this web site that gives step by step instructions to install a B18C1 in a 5th gen. --> http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap4.html

Looks pretty easy once I read through it all. I am debating if I want to try this myself or not. Because I can get a loan through the credit union for the h/b and charge the motor with my Discover credit card and keep the LX until the swap is complete

Are there any other sites with step by step instructions installing a B18C1?

Thanks!

PS <> Actually by going the route above I could keep the LX indefinite like my parents want me too ....but, I am trying to buy a house next year so I am not sure about 2 cars when it's going to be tough as it is

Old 10-09-2002, 06:13 AM

Default Re: $300 for Lsd tranny?!?!?! (LX98Civic)

good luck with the swap!
Old 10-09-2002, 09:05 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: $300 for Lsd tranny?!?!?! (skhonda)

yes equipped means it comes with an LSD tranny.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:06 AM

Default Re: $300 for Lsd tranny?!?!?! (SkyeC)

i've never done a swap before but i'd be willing to help since i'm gonna be swappin either a gsr or a b20 into my 6th gen coupe in a few months. extra practice
Old 10-09-2002, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did anyone answer his hydro tranny q?

a hydryo tranny has a hydraulic operated clutch, so its kinda easier and it has more of a clean feel (so when you press your clutch in your moving hydraulic fluid to disengage the clutch, instead of pulling a cable like a bicycle brake)

i dont think any civic has had a cable tranny after 92
you want the hydro tranny cuz basicaly every honda/acura after 93 has hydro, to make it simple
92 gsr is cable, not sure on 93