Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR/EX ECU in a HX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR/EX ECU in a HX?

Can it be done? Im having a hard time finding a manual ecu for my car, so was wondering if I could use a 96-98 Gsr or EX Ecu in my 97 hx? what are some pros and cons? And would i need to mess around with the wiring to make it work right?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR/EX ECU in a HX? (RickyBizee)

it should plug right up. you might have to wire up the iab and the knock if you gonna do a gsr swap
Old 11-18-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: GSR/EX ECU in a HX? (fmrprojects)

im not planning on doing a swap, I was reading on a forum where a guy said he put a gsr ecu in a 97 hx bone stock, and was very impressed in the performance, and since I cant find a hx ecu, they seem to be rare, I was wondering if a ex or gsr would work, im sure Id have to do some re-wiring, but just wanted to know everyones .2 on it.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:23 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

why would you do that? what did you do exactly? ....auto to manual swap? i would only use the ECU that was designed to run with that specific engine.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: GSR/EX ECU in a HX? (ham)

Yes it was a auto to manual swap from the previous owner, couldnt pass smog because of a CEL, my brother tried to get it fixed and bought a 98 dx ecu (p2e), and had a local shop put it in....they kept the old ecu and did whatever with it. Tried to get it back and they said they chunked it. The dx ecu runs the car like ****....it hesitates hardcore at about 4600, i've been looking for a manual hx ecu (p2n) for about 4 months now but they are rare around here and I cant find any. So thats why I was wondering if the gsr or ex could work, cause they are more common, the dx ecu is not allowing vtec, so i figured any other vtec ecu in my year range would work better than what I have now.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The whole point of the hx is to save gas. If you wanted vtec you should of gotten an ex.

I spent months looking for a hx manual. If I could't find a hx manual car I doubt you're going to have an easy time to find an ecu for it. Have you looked on car-part??
Old 11-18-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: GSR/EX ECU in a HX? (Compaq888)

Ok Im not looking for performance, I bought this car as a project car at first, but never got around to it or saved money for it, I wrecked my teg, so im forced to drive this one now...I'm not trying to make this a fast car, but I would like it to run normal, but if a gsr ecu helps it run faster im all for it. I know I cant find the ecu for it, I've been looking as well, and thats why im asking is there one that would work, or that I could make work for it?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:18 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

get one from honda then
Old 11-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

simply putting a gsr ecu in your car wont make it run faster...the ecus are designed for the engine they go with...if you HAVE to get another ecu, i suggest getting it tuned to your engine...because i highly doubt that anything other than the ecu meant for your engine will run correctly. (unless tuned)
Old 11-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: GSR/EX ECU in a HX? (ham)

wont that be like $400 from honda?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

actually its like $650 haha
Old 11-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no it wont do anything at all, it makes it really slow
Old 11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RickyBizee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not planning on doing a swap, I was reading on a forum where a guy said he put a gsr ecu in a 97 hx bone stock, and was very impressed in the performance, and since I cant find a hx ecu, they seem to be rare, I was wondering if a ex or gsr would work, im sure Id have to do some re-wiring, but just wanted to know everyones .2 on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's a lying piece of **** ricer. It won't do anything except **** on your mpg, make it run like crap, and make dumbasses like him think they have more power.

Don't bother trying to "buy an ECU that'll make your car run 12's" - If anything run an OBD-II to OBD-I converter off your stock harness to a P28 ECU that's chipped. You'll have full tuning capabilities, but it won't look for the knock sensor, but who gives a expletive. That's the only practical way you're going to get any performance out of an ECU swap. Do I think it's worth it? Absolutely not. The HX is more of an econoshitbox than the rest of the civics....it's meant for best MPG, NOT power. You want power, swap it. You can boost it the way it is, but even if u were to throw a JDM D15b from hmotorsonline.com in there and boost that you'll have more power.

expletive the GSR ECU into ur car, you won't feel more power just because you'll get less mpg, it just doesn't work that way. Damn, I hate posts like this.

EDIT:
There is one pro:
The car WILL indeed start up...that's about it...but you'll have an ECU. Which is better than nothing at all.

It's possibly the dumbest thing you can do (dropping a GSR ECU in an HX for extra performance).....not THE dumbest...but it's up there in the top 5.... shooting for 1st...

Old 11-19-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Well my car starts now it just has the wrong ecu in it...Its got a p2e (civic dx) and it needs a p2n (hx) so either way right now my mpg is fucked, and on top of that i get a **** load of resistance at about 4200 rpm, when it use to shoot up to 6800 a lot quicker. I cant even make it to redline right now. Say if I do find another automatic hx ecu, Is there a way to mess with it to make it an manual ecu? If not about how much does the obd 2 to 1 conversion cost?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:01 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

i know its possible on other ECUs but maybe you can convert the auto ECU to manual. but i forgot you said the guys threw it away. so why did you do an auto to manual swap on a HX? you should have left it or did a whole swap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem thats what you need too bad its sold!

http://hondamarketplace.com/ze...63281
Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 PM

previous owner did it, im just trying to fix the mess.