Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Vice President/CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled.

Yes i've searched and read every freaking thread on h-t about installing the GSR cluster in an EG. Everything on my cluster works properly execpt for one thing... my Fuel Gauge and E-Brake.

From what I've read, the YELLOW/WHITE wire coming out of the EG Harness is the Fuel Indicator... When I connect this to the harness in the back of the cluster, I get nothing...

I used a volt meter to test the current on the YELLOW/WHITE wire for current when the key is ON and I get nothing.. Why is there no power coming from the fuel indicator line coming from the EG Dash.

Any help and Info is greatly appreciated.. I've been on h-t for years and belive me i've searched high and low.. googled and everything..

Thanks in advance.

kenny
Old 02-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (kKdARIAN)

i wish i could help. i got mine to work the first try. i am using a jdm itr gauge cluster with a jdm green back, and swapped out the jdm speedo for a usdm speedo.

try checking your brake sensor wires and the fuel gauge. those wires may have to be switched.

its really hard to explain how to find out which wires go where. all i did was sat there and followed the copper lead on the green back. you will notice that some go to the same place which tells you to delete that part and go to the next copper line. and eventually you will find which one it is...
like for instance the ACC wire goes only to one spot... where as others like the door open lights hook up with other lights as one unit.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (kKdARIAN)

Umm, what year cluster do you have? You might have wrong year plugs.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Umm, what year cluster do you have? You might have wrong year plugs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i got the cluster from a local guy... is there a way i can find out what year its off of?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What color are the gauge faces?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (BlueIntegraBoy)

Old 02-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a 98-01 cluster. Make sure the yellow/white wire is in pin 1 on the 16-pin plug. The ebrake wire needs to be in pin 16. I think someone swapped the two wires.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Vice President/CEO

brb.. gonna check.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:08 PM

also make sure your not trying to wire up the LOW fuel to the fuel gauge wire. egs dont have a low fuel indicator sensor
Old 02-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Vice President/CEO

This is what the current 16 Pin plug looks like.

The first wire on the plug is a RED/BLUE wire. That is the wire that controls the fuel gauge on the cluster. I am putting the YELLOW/WHITE wire to that wire which should read fuel....

Old 02-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (drunknbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also make sure your not trying to wire up the LOW fuel to the fuel gauge wire. egs dont have a low fuel indicator sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did this also... i checked that already...
Old 02-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You got 94-97 plugs. Here's how to fix.

1. Connect the EG yellow/white wire to the red/blue wire in pin 1
2. eBrake green/red connects to green/red in pin 16

Please double check the wires again.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Vice President/CEO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kKdARIAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The first wire on the plug is a RED/BLUE wire. That is the wire that controls the fuel gauge on the cluster. I am putting the YELLOW/WHITE wire to that wire which should read fuel.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You got 94-97 plugs. Here's how to fix.

1. Connect the EG yellow/white wire to the red/blue wire in pin 1
2. eBrake green/red connects to green/red in pin 16
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats how i have it...

and again, I am getting no kind of power signal using the volt meter from the YELLOW/WHITE wire coming from the EG Harness
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might have a short somewhere. I don't know how to trace it. But the fuel gauge worked before you installed the GSR cluster?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:36 PM

not sure if you've looked at these threads yet or not... but here are 4 threads on gsr clusters in an eg from a faq archive thread

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=437408 – GSR Cluster into EG
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=504396 – GSR Cluster into EG
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=304752 – GSR Cluster into EG
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=364837 – GSR Cluster into EG

this is the thread i got the links from btw https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=642479

hope this helps
Old 02-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (Paulnsx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paulnsx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sure if you've looked at these threads yet or not... but here are 4 threads on gsr clusters in an eg from a faq archive thread

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=437408 – GSR Cluster into EG
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=504396 – GSR Cluster into EG
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=304752 – GSR Cluster into EG
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=364837 – GSR Cluster into EG

this is the thread i got the links from btw https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=642479

hope this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks pal.. i've read all those word for word three times plus.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Vice President/CEO

yes it worked fine on the stock cluster' *sigh*
Old 02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kKdARIAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes it worked fine on the stock cluster' *sigh*</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you must have shorted that wire. Maybe check the backup fuse in your engine bay?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Vice President/CEO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might have a short somewhere. I don't know how to trace it. But the fuel gauge worked before you installed the GSR cluster?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for all your help bro'... i really am greatful.

i wish i could sort this mess out.. i mean.. i can live w/o a gas gauge for alittle while untill i forget how long its been since i filled up my tank' ugh
Old 02-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Vice President/CEO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, you must have shorted that wire. Maybe check the backup fuse in your engine bay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

backup fuse is fine... 7.5 still intact
Old 02-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, I give up. Maybe fuel pump signal sender is out? eBrake sensor out?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Vice President/CEO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha, I give up. Maybe fuel pump signal sender is out? eBrake sensor out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea me too.. i think ima goto bed and try to do some more searching tomorrow...

hmmm fuel sender eh'

thanks.. i'll start from there'
Old 02-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

I'm going to take a look over all this, one sec.. so basically everything is working but you're not getting any fuel indication?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (INVALID)

Okay, I went outside took my cluster and things out. Tell me what wire do you have going to that YELLOW wire third from the bottom.

I can tell you, I didn't use the LIGHT GREEN/RED wire underneath it, so if you have that plugged somewhere, it shouldn't be. Anyway, the cluster plugs I had did not have anything above the LIGHT GREEN/RED where the YELLOW wire currently is on your plugs, so I had to install a plug in it and run that to my YELLOW/WHITE wire.

I can tell you mine are properly hooked up to the correct wires and plugs as I still have both sets of plugs hooked up in the back of mine. So if you want to go over something, so long as you give me the pin it is connected to I can tell you what it goes to, especially since I will be working behind my dash this weekend.

I referenced this picture:

Modified by INVALID at 1:17 AM 2/12/2005

This shows why you're having a problem with the wiring:

B1 = seat belt reminder
B2 = door open indicator
B3 = fuel gauge unit
B4 = low fuel light
B5 =
B6 = speedometer drive circuit
B7 = hatch (trunk) open indicator
B8 = abs indicator light
B9 = gauge lights (from fuse)
B10 = gauge lights (from dimmer)
B11 = charging system light (from battery)
B12 =
B13 = left turn indicator
B14 = right turn indicator
B15 = high beam indicator
B16 = parking brake light

Modified by INVALID at 2:02 AM 2/12/2005
Old 02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled. (INVALID)

Invalid:

Could you PLEASE take a pic of your civic plug spliced to the integra wires? So we can see exactly what wire goes where and in what position? Please?

Quick Reply: GSR Cluster Install in an EG - I've searched I swear... Still baffeled.