Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR Brakes on EK: Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Brakes on EK: Problems

Allrighty, I just got done putting Front GSR brakes on my 96 EK Hatch. I lowered it down and my and my friend looked at both sides. They camber in way to much. When I had my DX setup, it didn't camber hardly any, it was at 1 degree. Car is only lowered 1.75 inches. But after the swap, it was a nasty camber. I dont have pics to show, but its way beyond what it use to be.

Is this normal after a GSR brake swap?

ALSO, on the passenger side, I wiggled the wheel. There seems to be play in it some how. Like the rotor and axle jiggle, but not the knuckle assembly. Its hard to describe exacty, but when I wiggle the tires, there play.

Is that also normal? The other side did it, but not nearly as much play.

any help would be great. thanks.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (ransack)

your upper control arm might be loose.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (O.G triple O.G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O.G triple O.G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your upper control arm might be loose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you mean at the ball joint?

but that makes me skeptical, cuz BOTH sides do the camber
Old 09-25-2003, 11:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well actually i meant the part that the upper ball joint connects. A arm maybe? well the thing that attaches to the upper ball joint and the cambers.

i brought this up because you said that you had a little play in the wheels. when i drove around and hit little bumps, i can feel something loose. so i jacked up the car and with the wheel still attached, i wiggle the wheel and i can feel some play. the top of of the wheel would move in and out so i went ahead and check the camber kit out. come to find out that my camber kit was loose so i pop the hood and tighten the 2 nuts on the shock tower. this was how i fixed my wheel play problem.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (O.G triple O.G)

Ahh, I will be sure to check that
but the wheel play didnt affect my knucke, which is connected at the top in what your talking about.
thanks, Ill double check bolts.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any body
Old 09-26-2003, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GSR knuckles might be a little taller from what I have heard, that would explain your camber problem.

When I installed mine, I did Skunk uppers at the same time, so it was always was a non issue for me.

As far the the wheel jiggling, I am afraid to tell you that it sounds like a bad bearing. It is going to cost you about 100 for the new bearing and about 20 bux or so to get it pressed in at a machine shop. Take the new bearing and the entire knuckle assembly to the machine shop.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you tighen the axle nut all the way?
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 AM

I will tell you exactly what it is because the same thing happened to me. When i dropped in GSR brakes into my 93 Civic HB, i drove around and noticed something was wrong. I took a look and the camber was messed up both on the front and back. well what i found out was that the GSR upper ball joint connects are bigger than the civic's so it doesn't sit right and it is actually dangerous to drive. Now i dont know how it plays on the EK's but im pretty sure thats the probelm. when i put in the Civic upper ball joint connects it was all good.

well i hope i helped and good luck

Modified by Navid OG at 2:21 PM 9/26/2003
Old 09-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (Navid OG)

ok, I rechecked all my GSR brakes again.
The passenger side looks ok. I looks cambered, but it looks like it did when it had DX brakes on it.
Now the driver side is still cambered, it doesnt have its axle in right now, the axle nut on the DX brake wasnt coming off, so I have to remove the DX knuckle and axle with it. I have to take it to a shop to remove the nut (I broke 3 tools trying to get it off) WOULD having no axle really affect the camber? I dont think so...

And as far as the jiggling, I fear it is the wheel bearing, cause the axle nut is in and screwed down (not torqued, I just hand tightened it) but it wiggles.

thanks for help, im thinking the driver side is bent or something cause everything looks fine, but it still cambers, UNLESS having no axle in it would really cause camber...
Old 09-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet you when you torque that axle nut down, you're gonna notice it gets a lot tighter
Old 09-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (Fowler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet you when you torque that axle nut down, you're gonna notice it gets a lot tighter</TD></TR></TABLE>

as far as the giggling?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ransack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as far as the giggling?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, your wheel laughs at you?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (tonyXcom)

ha ha

but yeah, the jiggling should go away.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (tonyXcom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL, your wheel laughs at you? </TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems (EVIL_Vap133)

har har har
im an idiot and spelt it wrong
I hope I made everyones day

Well ill tightin that down

but im still back to the problem of the camber, which I think its just a bent knuckle. cause everything is fine and the passenger side looks fine.
I could be SOL if the guy I bought them from doesnt want them back or something...cause I really think there bent
Old 09-26-2003, 02:38 PM

i had similar problems when i converted to 5 bolt...
the front had major +tive camber...
it turned out that the spindle was bent...

so i just bought a used set of sir front spindles, new bearings, and ball joints and it solved the problem...

oh yeah if im not mistaken sir/gsr/type r uses same spindles...

hope this helps
Old 09-26-2003, 04:00 PM

did you check the 2 phillip screw at the rotor? it could be your axle that wore out. jack the car up move the tire up, down, left, right to see if any of your ball joints, axles got any place and noise.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2lua)

Yeah remember, most of this brake/suspension stuff comes from junkyards. Meaning, it might have been in accidents, so I guess it would be wise to say that we should just check all the suspension stuff before putting it all on, U know? Cause why would it come off the original car in the first place if its Type R or GSR stuff? Only other idea that comes to mind, is stolen =-/.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (DjGuamstyle)

can't explain the camber problem..but if you have play in your wheel/tire from left to right(@3 and 9) check your end link on your steering rack if you have only play up or down (again holding the tire at 12 and 6) then your bearings need replacing. I put some si brakes on my EK and it seem the toe is super off and i may have a bent rear trailing arm.. Why not use your EK hub/arm/kunkle and just add the GSR rotors and the GSR caliper???
Old 09-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisir19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisir19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not use your EK hub/arm/kunkle and just add the GSR rotors and the GSR caliper???</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you do this?!?!
Old 09-27-2003, 12:53 AM

Default Re: (ransack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ransack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

can you do this?!?! </TD></TR></TABLE>

no
Old 09-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tonyXcom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Tony

Well I took the GSR knuckles OFF. The wheel bearing IS bad, I tq the nut and there still was alot of play, so it was the wheel bearing.
And the driver side is bent somewhere, I dont know, really i dont care. I dont have the money to try and find out what exactly is wrong. Both sides are bad and I would spend way to much trying to fix both.

so thanks for the help guys.

im gonna talk to the seller and see what happens
Old 09-29-2003, 02:53 PM

Default Re: (ransack)

tony why can;t you just bolt the gsr Caliper to the Civic knuckle? bolt ups the same, the rotor is drilled to 4 x100. My 92 civic parts car came with the larger rotors on the front the (Nissin 17CL14VN) and rear disc. I took the caliper and purchased a 99 GSR caliper and it's the same number! It bolts up so why can't you? Please Remind me......
Old 09-29-2003, 03:03 PM

Default Re: (chrisir19)

Because we are talking about an EK.

The knuckles are different between an SI and an CX/DX. I don't know about an EG, since I dont have one, but on an EK, you can't just put GSR rotors and calipers on the stock spindles.

Quick Reply: GSR Brakes on EK: Problems