Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad?

I was racing yesterday and I threw 3rd into 2nd! and the car jumped forward and after this occured. The car was still on but the clutch pedal got all wierd and soft with no pressure. The car would not go into ANY gear with the car on. I turned off the car and it went into all gears with out any problems i also pumped the clutch to regain pressure a billions times and it gets a little pressure but only when the car is on. I had to drive this car home so I noticed if I turned off the car pumped the clutch pedal alot and throw into 1st gear then I would start the car and I felt the clutch grabbing just a little bit enough to let me get off first and drive. SHIFTING was VERY HARD I had to literally powershift and the clutch pedal was all mushy till the end. PEople say I messed up the throwout bearing. Did I ? Or did me going from 3rd to 2nd crack my clutch and pressure plate. I DO have fluid in my resovoir and I have no leaks to my knowledge.SO should I try to rebleed my clutch or did I toast something from this happening?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad? (92EG8)

bump
Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad? (92EG8)

The solution from this is not bleeding the clutch...

Why and where were you racing, did you let your RPMs Redline?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad? (rleonekc)

im gonna be safe and say that his 3rd gear was way passed vtec..probably right up to the point of fuel cutoff and instead of grabbing 4th he hit 2nd...happened to me last year except i wasn't racing, i hit a pothole right in the middle of a shift and did the same thing...probably effed the trans pretty good, dont be surprised if you spun a bearing in the crank either
Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad? (Probot)

See thats what I thought, but the thing is, so many people know better than to do this but do it anyways.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad? (rleonekc)

Sounds like you blew the seals in your slave cylinder. '
It happened to me about a year ago on my civic and a couple other times on a few other vehicles. The clutch pedal feels like it wants to work but nothing happens. Usually you can get it into 1st for a few shifts but it very quickly takes a crap.

How you can check to see if this is the problem is by peeling back the rubber cover on the push shaft end of your slave cylinder and checking for wetness. If it is wet at all you seal are shot and you need a new slave cylinder.

You should also check your clutch master cylinder. Go up under the dash and folow the same procedure as for the slave. peel back the rubber and if it's wet it needs to be replaced.

If you do end up changing one or both of these and after you bleed the trapped air out of the system it stil feels mushy don't worry right away! If you can get the vehicle into gear take it for a quick drive around the block.. for some reason this usually fixes the problem.. it probably vibrates the last air bubble out of the system or something lol.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad? (logg_frogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by logg_frogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you blew the seals in your slave cylinder. '
It happened to me about a year ago on my civic and a couple other times on a few other vehicles. The clutch pedal feels like it wants to work but nothing happens. Usually you can get it into 1st for a few shifts but it very quickly takes a crap.

How you can check to see if this is the problem is by peeling back the rubber cover on the push shaft end of your slave cylinder and checking for wetness. If it is wet at all you seal are shot and you need a new slave cylinder.

You should also check your clutch master cylinder. Go up under the dash and folow the same procedure as for the slave. peel back the rubber and if it's wet it needs to be replaced.

If you do end up changing one or both of these and after you bleed the trapped air out of the system it stil feels mushy don't worry right away! If you can get the vehicle into gear take it for a quick drive around the block.. for some reason this usually fixes the problem.. it probably vibrates the last air bubble out of the system or something lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad? (logg_frogg)

Something's not being described right here.

Can you roll the car when it's in gear? How about revving it in neutral? Does it rev to 8 grand fine w/o any tickings, pings, or knocks?

I also agree that it's possible what logg_frogg said that you blew the seals on your slave cylinder creating a loss of pressure in the clutch system, but how is the engine feeling? Can you push the thing? Is the clutch creating any resistance?

If you drive it w/o the clutch (aka. clutchless shifting) does it hold, or does the clutch slip?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't want to treat jack but the same thing is happening to my car with the difference that I was not racing or redlining.

So far I replace master and slave cylinders and no change also drove it a little bit rebleeding the system, no luck.

I think is the throwout bearing sadly on both cases
Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your best bet would be to change the cluth master and slave cylinder. Bleed the heck out of the system when you do so to make sure that there is no air in the line. If that does not fix the problem then i might think that the cluth went out or something happened internally to the transmission. May have a busted bearing inside.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well it drives fine once its in gear. i just gotta pump the clutch and almost power shift to get into another gear. Also the car has the same power it did after the rac it still drives the same no pinging knocking or bearing i know how that sounds. everything driving smooth cept the shifting part because i have almost little to no play on my clutch pedal!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92EG8)

It def sound sliek what I described in my earlier post.

you will be able to get it into gear by pumping up the clutch for about 1-2 days or so then that will stop working and you will be stuck in whatver gear you have it in &gt;.&lt;.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-.- Yea it was kinda of wet when i checked it but no signs of a leak. It just makes a wierd sound. SO does the slave cylinder neccasrily need to leak in order for it not be operating properly or can it show no signs of leak and still be faulty?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also how can I test to make sure nothing like the throwout bearing or the fork itself fucked up? Because last night as I was driving home the clutch pedal once i tried pressing it in it was vibrating alot. is this because of my slave/master gave or because something internal?? I don't want to open the tranny unless i need to so im gonna change the slave cylinder hoping to resolve that .
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought a new slave cylinder .So i'll be installing it tommorow.Anyone know the size for the little barrel that connects the line to the slave. ALSO if my pressure plate or clutch got messed up then the car itself wouldn't drive in my gears correct?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

similar problem slave went bad on me
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok but did it again a little pressure when the car is completely off ? because that is the only time i felt pressure in mines .but it was still very spongy but had a little more pressure then with the car on
Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My guesstimation is the clutch is shot. Clutch pedal feels spongy? No leaks? Lets review what has happened here. Missed a shift and shocked the clutch? Dont expect the slave,clutch master to go out after a badly missed shift. You have a spongy feel due to the pressure plate springs being probally broken or mashed. When a slave or master goes out,it usually has pressure but falls to the floor like it has a leak. They are rarely ever spongy. Just my guess but i doubt that slave is gonna fix it. Let us know,im curious.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IMALLSLO)

^^^i'm leaning towards this also
Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright ill let u guys know today im gonna fix after work ill be checking the tranny if this doesnt fix the problem
Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Changed slave. These are my results. After bleeding it for a little . Realized that I had somewhat pressure with the car off!. I turned the car on. Pumped it some more and nothing. This time I have a little bitty pressure at the end of the clutch pedal and couldnt not engage any gears. SO conclusion is all my GEARS WORK and the tranny will drive in every gear with no whines or noises. SO if my slave cylinder didn't go bad. THEN WHAT DID? Im gonna have to open the tranny tommorow regardless but what will be shredded the Throwout bearing or worse the clutch???
Old 11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As stated before....the springs on the pressure plate are probally shot to hell.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so what am i looking to replace tranny will be off tommorow
Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the clutch master under the dash? it could also be bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GSR Barely Goes into Gear Throwout bearing bad?