Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!!

ok, so I did a gsr block and b16 head swap into my 99 civic...although the car did pick up alot, I ran my buddie's 99 civic with a straight gsr swap and he pulled me by 2 cars!!! I think the car should be a little quicker than it is, but im running out of ideas. Does anyone have a similar set up to mine?? how much hp should I be looking at right now?? im going to dyno next week, so i kinda want to know what to expect. Im also running a civic si ECU...would i pick up any if I run a chipped p28? thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!! (bustdgst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all, a short statement about why you're here:
You're here to learn. You're here to help. You're here to share knowledge and information. If you are here for any other reason, just leave now.

Things that won't be tolerated:
&gt; Excessive flaming for no reason
&gt; Posts with no techincal content
&gt; eBay Ads
&gt; Classifieds ads
&gt; Picture threads
&gt; "I got scammed by..." threads
&gt; Links to Helms/Chiltons manuals. Go buy them. http://www.helminc.com
&gt; "Search n00b." If you tell someone to search, you had better provide them with a helpful link. This explains how to use the search function: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=979961

Things you can do to help:
&gt; Search before you post
&gt; If you make a post and are not 100% sure about the information, please say so. It's frustrating to be told one thing, then find it to be completely different once you are in the middle of a project.
&gt; Police yourselves. Report a thread if it's turning into a huge flame fest, or if it's clear that there is misinformation or the thread is clearly in violation of the 92-00 Civic guidelines. The moderators are human and can't be here all day every day.

FYI - The report post button is right below the posters name and looks like this:

There are 6 moderators in this forum, and there are a set of global mods who can help you should you need it.

BauleyCivic
Ricey McRicerton
Rodney
Deemeetree
Patrick
keithv

The list of Global Moderators

Remember, these rules are in addition to the HT TOS.

8/3/06 Update:

Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic »
Okay, listen. I want to get a few facts straight. This is the EG/EK forum.
This is NOT
-The Hybrid Forum

-The Forced Induction Forum
-The All Motor Forum
-The Suspension Forum
-The EF/CRX forum
-The Drag Racing Forum

You guys really need to start thinking before you start posting in here. This forum is for issues relating to the 92-00 Civic ONLY. Swap questions, turbo questions, motor build questions, suspension questions, and anything not relating to this car DO NOT BELONG HERE.

If you still don't get it, follow the guide below to figure out where your thread should go. I have been locking/moving these threads but no one seems to get it.

Hybrid - https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=18
ANY Swap related question
B-series/K-series swap information
Any thread dealing with a motor that didn't come in a civic (Non-sohc, non-b16)
(B16/SOHC threads are welcome here, but if its only about swapping it belongs in Hybrid)
If you don't feel like going all the way to the hybrid forum, you can post in Ricey's stickied topic at the top

Forced Induction - https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=18
ANY Turbo related question
Including theory, choosing a turbo, installs, turbo motor builds, etc
If your thread has turbo in the title, or in the message body it belongs in the FI forum

Suspension - https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=54
ALL general suspension questions, e.g. "What suspension should I get?"
If the question is SPECIFIC to EG/EK's, it can be here e.g. "Can I put xx swaybar on my EK?"

All Motor - https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=44
Anything dealing with bolt ons, or engine builds for N/A b-series or d-series

Okay? Seems easy enough. Thanks for reading </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bustdgst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, so I did a gsr block and b16 head swap into my 99 civic...although the car did pick up alot, I ran my buddie's 99 civic with a straight gsr swap and he pulled me by 2 cars!!! I think the car should be a little quicker than it is, but im running out of ideas. Does anyone have a similar set up to mine?? how much hp should I be looking at right now?? im going to dyno next week, so i kinda want to know what to expect. Im also running a civic si ECU...would i pick up any if I run a chipped p28? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

this doesn't really say much. there can be a bunch of factors:

1. does you or your friend have any mods?
2. did you do a tune up on the motor?
3. what type of trannies are you guys using?
4. your friend is a better driver than you.
5. i'm tired of write examples.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.he has a p28 I beleive...all the other mods are the same(intake, and cat back) I actually have a 421 header and he doesnt
2.if when u say tune up u mean plugs wires oil, yes i did all of that
3. we both have b16 trannies
4. we actually drive the same and weight the same lol!!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: (bustdgst)

one driver sucks more than the other
Old 09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bustdgst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.he has a p28 I beleive...all the other mods are the same(intake, and cat back) I actually have a 421 header and he doesnt
2.if when u say tune up u mean plugs wires oil, yes i did all of that
3. we both have b16 trannies
4. we actually drive the same and weight the same lol!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

is the p28 chipped? if so then that's one strike against you. also how good is your clutch versus his?

i know this might sound weird but, some motors are just more torquey than others.
for example, when i was entering this race scene(when i was younger). i had a kia sephia (go ahead and laugh). for the time it was pretty fast for the mods i had did.
it was a 1.8 liter, it had I/H/E. well when i blew it i picked up another motor same kind. swapped out the clutch, tranny, etc. but for some reason it never pulled as hard as the first motor.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

yeah that is kinda weird...it didnt really feel like my clutch was slipping though, everything was fine. the only thing that bothers me is that I feel vtec is hitting at 48 and then again at 5300. idk if ur familiar with the vafc but the vtec in is at 5300 and the vtec out is at 4800. shouldnt it just come on once and thats it??
Old 09-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure on the SOHC, but on my DOHC, vtec kicks in at 5800, right where it's suppose to be.

and yes i know you have a dohc.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (philosofy1)

Driver issue or your motor needs to be tuned.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im thinking it might have something to do with that p2p ecu im running. idk i just though this set up would yield more peformance...maybe need a p28?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:47 PM

When you put a stock b16 head on a stock GSR block you lose compression. I'm assuming they are stock because you didnt mention any mods w/ pistons anything like that. Since your lost compression you lost power. Your better off putting the GSR head back on then you should tell the difference. Using a Civic SI ecu may be hurting you also. I dont know that exactly but that ecu was made for a 1.6 liter and not a 1.8. If i were you, i would put the stock GSR head and run a GSR ecu. If you dont have those components, your compression ratio will be lower and you will not be making the power you would want and if you want to spend more money you can upgrade the pistons to make the power you want. Slap on some aftermarket pistons or some ITR pistons to bring that compression back up some cams and a good tune you should take your boys swap. Hope that helped.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!! (marcosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marcosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you put a stock b16 head on a stock GSR block you lose compression. I'm assuming they are stock because you didnt mention any mods w/ pistons anything like that. Since your lost compression you lost power. Your better off putting the GSR head back on then you should tell the difference. Using a Civic SI ecu may be hurting you also. I dont know that exactly but that ecu was made for a 1.6 liter and not a 1.8. If i were you, i would put the stock GSR head and run a GSR ecu. If you dont have those components, your compression ratio will be lower and you will not be making the power you would want and if you want to spend more money you can upgrade the pistons to make the power you want. Slap on some aftermarket pistons or some ITR pistons to bring that compression back up some cams and a good tune you should take your boys swap. Hope that helped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what? if he's losing compression it has nothing to do with the head, but actually his pistons since the b18b has a lower compression than the gsr. the head he's using is fine, i would leave the head alone.

as for the ecu, he doesn't really specify what si ecu he's running but i figured he's using the b16 civic si ecu. if that is the case then he is also fine with the ecu since it doesn't make a difference as long as it is for vtec and the same obd series. the engine size had nothing to do with the ecu.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:05 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!! (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what? if he's losing compression it has nothing to do with the head, but actually his pistons since the b18b has a lower compression than the gsr. the head he's using is fine, i would leave the head alone.

as for the ecu, he doesn't really specify what si ecu he's running but i figured he's using the b16 civic si ecu. if that is the case then he is also fine with the ecu since it doesn't make a difference as long as it is for vtec and the same obd series. the engine size had nothing to do with the ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

read again. the OP said he put a b16 head on a b18c1 block, a poorman's type r. this will infact lower the compression. if the pistons are stock his compression would be ~9.7:1.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!! (sticky icky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sticky icky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

read again. the OP said he put a b16 head on a b18c1 block, a poorman's type r. this will infact lower the compression. if the pistons are stock his compression would be ~9.7:1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for some reason i was thing ls-vtec, but still having a low compression has nothing to do with the head, it's all about the pistons. the pistons man, the pistons.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:18 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

for some reason i was thing ls-vtec, but still having a low compression has nothing to do with the head, it's all about the pistons. the pistons man, the pistons. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong again. b16 heads have a combustion chamber cc of 42.70. gsr's are 41.60. the bigger combustion chamber of the b16 will lower c/r by .2

see for yourself: http://www.zealautowerks.com/
Old 09-28-2006, 02:18 PM

I sure didnt see anything about LS/vtec. I wish i saw that response. If you read more carefully that comment was not needed. Attention to detail.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 PM

wrong again. b16 heads have a combustion chamber cc of 42.70. gsr's are 41.60. the bigger combustion chamber of the b16 will lower c/r by .2</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong twice? dang

Modified by marcosh at 11:50 PM 9/28/2006
Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!! (marcosh)

yes that did help alot thanks...however if that did lower my compression any, that means I should have a decent turbo set up then? Im not sure about this either, but according to the guy that sold me the head, it has ITR cams in it already. is there any way to check or decifer between GSR SI or ITR cams as far as numbers or engravings on them?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I was thinking about that too!!! but that would however explain the difference in power since he does have more compression than me. but it would make a great turbo project!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one more thing is that why does it feel like vtec is engaging twice...once at 4800 then at 5300?????
Old 09-28-2006, 02:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

itr cams would explain the dip at 4800-5300

u cant just throw cams in & expect it to be faster without tuning

Old 09-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i expected to have to do a little bit of tuning,but I just wanted to make sure i actually had ITR cams. so its normal to have that dip?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

with those cams its expected

at least u know u really have em in there
Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah true...when I take it to the dyno, any idea what air/fuel should be like...i know u want to keep it around 11.5 on a turbo car

Quick Reply: gsr/b16 swap on 99 civic..help!!