Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gsr 92 Hatch Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr 92 Hatch Swap

Sup...........Like the title says, what do you have to do to the 92 SI hatch with 94 GSr motor to pass smogg. just wanted to make sure before doing the swap. thanks..............

I know that I'm not supposed to post in here cuz I dont have a civic, but I'd already put down the deposit $$ and I'm going to pick it up on this SAt................thank you

Old 11-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr 92 Hatch Swap (SIGNALAUTOLSR)

bump
Old 11-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to goto a ref, i know that
Old 11-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (ek hatchhh)

You need to get:

USDM ECU
CARB legal or USDM Header
stock or carblegal intake.
EGR
grey canaster

Basically you hook everything up right and youll pass.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to get:

USDM ECU
EGR
grey canaster

Basically you hook everything up right and youll pass. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-18-2004, 10:41 PM

Make sure you have a good cat and the check engine light is not on before you take the car to the ref.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr 92 Hatch Swap (Davesgarage831)

what kind of cat should I use for the ref? can I use the stock hatch cat for it or a custom one?
I have all the stock parts from my 94 gsr. like ecu, axle, harness, and so on.............so do I have to run any wires for it or just use the gsr harness and plug in.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:16 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Is it a JDM Gsr? If so, you have a lot of wireing to do, so don't mess it up. If you do, your Check Engine Light will be on. If not, you will only have to add knock sensor wire, and Intake Air Bypass wires to your main wire harness.

I don't think any B-series motors have EGR systems... WTF?

Your stock cat will be fine for smog, but I'm not sure if you'll have to go to the muffler shop to make it meet the header/downpipe.

P.S. I don't know if a JDM ecu will pass inspection. If it doesn't then you'll have to use the US one. You'll also will need to add a vtech pressure switch to your JDM motor (US ecu looks for that, JDM ecu doen't so JDM motors don't have it), and wire that into your engine harness.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr 92 Hatch Swap (94eg!)

mine is a usdm motor so it would be alot easier.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah, what kind of shift linkage should I use for the hatch . does the gsr 4dr shift linkage fit on the hatch?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to get:

USDM ECU
EGR
grey canaster

Basically you hook everything up right and youll pass. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No EGR is needed. Scratch that.

Any 94+ B series linkage will work just fine, cept the one from the Del sol. Avoid that
Old 11-19-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

It needs to be running exactly as it was in the Integra. Since you're OBD1, you'll need to have it running like an OBD1 stock GSR. No OBD2 ecu though.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nameless RB26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless RB26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It needs to be running exactly as it was in the Integra. Since you're OBD1, you'll need to have it running like an OBD1 stock GSR. No OBD2 ecu though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, I'm trying to avoid that. I could have gotton ek hatch but they are obd2. too much work.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIGNALAUTOLSR)

sup................
I just droped my gsr motor into the 92 si today. It took us about 2 and a haft hour to do all that. everything turned out pretty good, but I have to put the new axles in cuz my were broken from the accident and run some ecu wires..........................

well, how many wires do I have to run for the the 92 si obd1 ? any one could help me out with this ? I have my gsr harness and I want to use it instead of si................is it a good idea to do that? what do you recomend? anywayz..........my question is how many wires do I have to run if i use the stock 92 SI ecu harness, and how many more wires do I have to run if I use the gsr harness? which one is easier thanx........................

I just want to say thank you very much to John and Khoa who helped me out to do the swap...........

here are some pics.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like putting the motor in from the bottom

since your car is an si, its already wired up for vtec. just plug in the harness and you should be set. there will be no problem with using the gsr harness. i used one on my hatch with gsr motor.

also, get your ecu chipped if you haven't done so already.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaeg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaeg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like putting the motor in from the bottom

since your car is an si, its already wired up for vtec. just plug in the harness and you should be set. there will be no problem with using the gsr harness. i used one on my hatch with gsr motor.

also, get your ecu chipped if you haven't done so already. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget to wire up the knock sensor and the IAB's.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaeg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

also, get your ecu chipped if you haven't done so already. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you need to run the GSR p72 ecu for smog
Old 11-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

um...........thanks for all responed guys. I'm gona finished the job tomorrow cuz we ran out of time today. we started taking the motor from the gsr out at 11:00am and got the motor in the hatch around 2:00pm but I had to go return the engine lift thing and bought some stuffs.
yeah, I think taking the motor out from the bottom is easier cause nothing is in the way...............

I wonder if my stock ls exhaust pipe will fit on the hatch. thanx
Old 11-21-2004, 04:12 AM

the mid section will fit. rear will not, but ur stock civic rear will bolt onto the teg mid.

since ur hatch is 92 (all 92s were wired for vtec) is already wired for vtec inside. so merely plug and play the gsr engine harness. put the gsr ecu in it. and hook everthing up as if it were in the teg. use the teg mounts, axles, shift linkage, and **** if u can rape them brakes off it too.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSturboEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSturboEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the mid section will fit. rear will not, but ur stock civic rear will bolt onto the teg mid.

since ur hatch is 92 (all 92s were wired for vtec) is already wired for vtec inside. so merely plug and play the gsr engine harness. put the gsr ecu in it. and hook everthing up as if it were in the teg. use the teg mounts, axles, shift linkage, and **** if u can rape them brakes off it too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, its like I said. Its only "plug and play" to a certain point. You can still use the GSR engine harness, yes... But from the shock tower into the cabin, you will need to run the wires for Knock sensor and the IAB's.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:17 PM

nice job man. you definately should take them brakes off the teg and toss em on too
Old 11-21-2004, 01:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, its like I said. Its only "plug and play" to a certain point. You can still use the GSR engine harness, yes... But from the shock tower into the cabin, you will need to run the wires for Knock sensor and the IAB's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

very true, unless he runs a p28 or a chipped p28
Old 11-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSturboEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSturboEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

very true, unless he runs a p28 or a chipped p28 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Running without the knock sensor enabled is fine... But if he is using the stock manifold, then he NEEDS to hook up the IABS correctly or the swap will be slow as hell.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup...hook up the iabs...i forgot about that. i'm using a chipped p28 and i have a skunk2 IM, so i didn't need to hook up the knock sensor or the iabs.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we just finished the rest of the swap today it looks pretty clean except for the exhaust pipe and muffler cuz I dont have that ones yet. After we reconected all the wires and ecu harness, we did a jump wires test thing and it was only showed up the 02 sensor need to be plug in and no engine light was on after we did all that.
we didn't have to conect the IAb's wires though............I think the last onwer did all that cuz he used to have the Jdm itr in it. so yeah, i'll take a test drive on tomorrow after install the exhaust see if we did everything was right........I'll let you guys know

here are some pics of the 92 si...................

Quick Reply: Gsr 92 Hatch Swap