Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes?

dooing a gs-r swap soon and i need to know, do i absolutely need bigger brakes on my stock-VX?

have you guys felt the need to go to BB kits?

i mean its only a DD so the stock brakes should be ok right?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

you should be fine with the stock brakes

some big brake kits do not even help stopping distances at all, get a good set of brake pads and some brembo blanks and you'll be set
Old 08-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes? (blackcivic44)

friend is goin 13.90 in a cx hatch with stock brakes it doesnt stop for **** after a few blasts but every day driving it is fine. only on spirited runs do we worry about him.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes? (boostedcivicsir)

going fast isn't **** without the ability to stop. Do yourself a favour before you die, upgrade the front brakes to at least "integra" spec
Old 08-09-2005, 07:37 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes? (B16B)

I know a guy who drives a k20powered hatch with stock brakes.

I'd definitely get Integra brakes. At least the front teg MC and BB.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for what its worth, upgrade it. no need to take a chance.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

to me, my cars have to be balanced. get more power, you have to upgrade the stoping ability.

I didn't upgrade mine at first (VX brakes) after the first time I pushed hard I ordered the upgraded brakes. Not being able to stop is not a good feeling.
I run '00 SI fronts, BB/MS/Prop valve and EG6 rear disks. Awesome setup and it fits under 15" rims.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

i run integra spindles in the front with prelude vtec calipers pads adn brackets with 11" rotors, integra rear with 40/40 prop valve and integra booster and M/C... slows down my h22 civic with ease
Old 08-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16B)

yea but i still have my VX 13" rims
Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (B16B)

Get the brakes only if you want to stop better.

Seriously though rear discs don't do **** in terms of stopping shorter. Bigger fronts make the biggest difference.

Example?

My wife had a 1992 Si with the small Civic-sized front brakes and the stock rear discs.

My friend had a 1994 Dx HB with Integra front spindles and the non-ABS RS booster and m/c combo.

My pal's Dx with rear drums and bigger fronts would outstop my wife's 4-wheel disc set-up so bad it was hilarious.

If you already have the big fronts then adding rear discs certainly won't hurt, but it helps brake balance (when using the correct prop valve) more so than shorter stopping distances.

If you're serious about tracking the car then rear discs are better because they have a lesser tendancy to lock up than rear drums. Rear drums usually contribute to ******* up your rear tires due to locking up while your fronts haven't really fully engaged yet.

Lastly:

NEVER UPSIZE YOUR MASTER CYLINDER IF YOU RUN STOCK SIZED CIVIC BRAKES UP FRONT!!!

It makes the pdeal rock-hard and can actually make stopping distances longer.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea but i still have my VX 13" rims </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you'll need to "upgrade" to at least 14'' steelies if you want to upgrade your brakes then.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

money my friend, i have to muster up around 1000$ for a set of 15" rota grids, then the brake swap then the motor...its bad enough i have to get with GS-R instead if B18C5

oh and i'd rather drive my 4 pound VX rims then roll on steelies anyday.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

No you do not. My roommate has a turbo B16 and other than getting better pads he stop just fine on stock VX brakes. You do not need to upgrade, unless you are into the bling factor of having the bigger brakes. If you are worried about stopping thing more about getting rid of the rear drums and getting 4 wheel disc rather than just upgrading your front brakes.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (ralphie14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ralphie14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No you do not. My roommate has a turbo B16 and other than getting better pads he stop just fine on stock VX brakes. You do not need to upgrade, unless you are into the bling factor of having the bigger brakes. If you are worried about stopping thing more about getting rid of the rear drums and getting 4 wheel disc rather than just upgrading your front brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>This is just plain wrong.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (litterbox)

does his VX have smaller front discs than my EX w/ rear drums?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (blackcivic44)

What year is your EX? If it's a 1994-1995, then yes his fronts are smaller than yours.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is just plain wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You go ahead and explain how it is wrong? Hondas are more limited by thier tires NOT thier brakes. If he can lock up the tires with the VX brakes then all he is going to gain by upgrading is the ability to lock them up even faster and maybe the ability for them to cool a little faster with the added surface area. Experienceing brake fad? Get new pads and a high temp brake fluid like the ones made by Willwood.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:33 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ralphie14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No you do not. My roommate has a turbo B16 and other than getting better pads he stop just fine on stock VX brakes. You do not need to upgrade, unless you are into the bling factor of having the bigger brakes. If you are worried about stopping thing more about getting rid of the rear drums and getting 4 wheel disc rather than just upgrading your front brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>Well first off it depends on how fast you want to stop. Obviously, to balance a boosted car, you'd want badass brakes.

But anyway. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post because of your grammer, but upgrading the rears does nothing compared to upgrading the fronts.

And I'll also disagree with you saying that you don't need better brakes on a boosted car, but I guess that's a subjective opinion.

Also, it's not just about locking up your tires, it's about modulation.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ralphie14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You go ahead and explain how it is wrong? Hondas are more limited by thier tires NOT thier brakes. If he can lock up the tires with the VX brakes then all he is going to gain by upgrading is the ability to lock them up even faster and maybe the ability for them to cool a little faster with the added surface area. Experienceing brake fad? Get new pads and a high temp brake fluid like the ones made by Willwood. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I'm sure honda just wasted hours of R&D and parts, and money on making Type R brakes larger than Gs-R brakes.

Larger surface area = greater heat dissipation = better braing because of less fade.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 5:03 PM 8/9/2005
Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah I'm sure honda just wasted hours of R&D and parts, and money on making Type R brakes larger than Gs-R brakes.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You think that because the Type R has 20-30 more HP is the reason that Honda gave it bigger brakes? I would like to think that it was becuase the type r was meant to be a more trackable verson of the integra that is why they gave it bigger brakes. If you are going in a straight line or street driving there is little reason to upgrade the brakes if you are going to road race your car then it can be helpful but more becuase of the heat issue not the stopping.

The original post was "do i absolutely need bigger brakes?" And I said no which is the correct answer. If you want to do it to waste money or to say yeah i have 11 inch rotors yo! then fine but BIGGER brakes is not a necessary however I would say that BETTER brakes would be a good idea.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Larger surface area = greater heat dissipation = better braing because of less fade. </TD></TR></TABLE>
duh? I have said that in almost every post but again it is not needed for a gsr swap on the street better pads and a high temp fluid are going to be more beneficail unless he plans on road racing his swapped GSR which is not the case becuase he has already said it is just a daily driver.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have too, but you should. Smarter and Safer. Check out my GSR front brakes.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please change brakes. I almost died on the 5 freeway on my way to work when my H22 accord brakes completly went out and fluids drained and I slammed the car on the wall to slow down. That was the scariest moment of my life. Since then I always have my brakes done before schedule.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Former Moderator

I never said they were an absolute must either, did I?

I was simply replying to you saying bigger/better brakes are a "waste of money" which is a crock of **** man.

If you think that pads alone will manage brake fade and make stock VX brakes worlds better I'd have to disagree.

My original reply stated:

"...only if you want to stop better."
Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

if u dont want to spend a lot of $$ just get an integra brake swap. I got the complet front knuckles and trailing arms for 300 and all u need is a buddy to help u do it.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes? (rukawa1one)

uhhh i think the argument for upping the front brakes is not necessarily because of added HP but the higher wieght to braking power....the car will have much more momentum and therefore need to be stopped more efficiently. the fronts are more important then the rears simply because the weight is up there. after reading this, i think im going 4 corner teg/si discs and if i need more ill go BB in front, which i doubt i will.

Quick Reply: GS-R swap...do i absolutely need bigger brakes?