Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

grounding kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grounding kit

Ive searched!

well i got a new grounding kit from a local shop and i need some help. this is how i got my grounding kit setup right now:

I want to know if i can remove the stock valve cover grounding wire and just have the grounding kit one?

also forgot to mention the alt is also connected with the stock ground wire
Old 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: grounding kit (romoracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive searched!

I want to know if i can remove the stock valve cover grounding wire and just have the grounding kit one?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Confused...the point of getting a grounding kit is to replace the stock grounding wires.

Typically the grounding wires are as follows:

VC to rad support
Starter to chassis
alt to chassis
IM to chassis
Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: grounding kit (.ken)

sorry it was hard to explain.Would i have problems if i remove the stock ground wires from the tranny and valve cover and just use the grounding kit i bought?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That grounding kit is not going to yeild you any performance at all..
Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Farts in the shower

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry it was hard to explain.Would i have problems if i remove the stock ground wires from the tranny and valve cover and just use the grounding kit i bought?</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;--still confused.

The point of buying/getting a grounding kit is to replace the stock grounds. If you are asking if you can just use the VC one, sure but you are defeating the purpose of a grounding 'system'. The reason why you have multiple grounds is because electricity travels through the path of least resistance (bigger is usually better and more is usually better in this case).
Old 11-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, its freakin hard to explain

alright pics might help:

neg ter. on battery

intake mani.

alt. wire

tranny mount

valve cover

well i removed the stock ground wires and just used the new one. the thing is the stock ones had each wire touching the body. with the new kit i have the vc, tranny, alt, intake mani just touching the (-) battery and the (-) battery touching the frame. So would it be better if i use the new ground wires and say the stock ones connected together?

sorry for the blurry pics cheap cam.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Farts in the shower

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i removed the stock ground wires and just used the new one. the thing is the stock ones had each wire touching the body. with the new kit i have the vc, tranny, alt, intake mani just touching the (-) battery and the (-) battery touching the frame. So would it be better if i use the new ground wires and say the stock ones connected together?

sorry for the blurry pics cheap cam.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you have a grounding block then yea that works or you can route each ground to chassis points.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if you have a grounding block then yea that works or you can route each ground to chassis points. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i have a grounding block. alright man thanks for your help!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW
Old 11-15-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: grounding kit (lazybrown187)

the idea behind a ground kit isn't just to increase the size of the ground wires, but to ground them all at one location on the car instead of multiple points. You did it right, but don't expect to gain performance from it.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: grounding kit (IHateJDM)

thanks guys. Im not looking to get any gains. But my throttle response is alot better. Also starts are alot better.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:29 AM

The idea is to provide one faster/shorter path to the battery terminal. Since the chassis is only grounded because of its connection to the battery...

Instead of going from your valvcover to the chassis through the chassis through a wire to the battery you are skipping the inbetween for all grounds.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: grounding kit (Si Shane)

when you ground multiple things at multiple points on the chassis, you get feedback through the ground wire back into your electrical system. the farther apart your ground points are, the worse the feedback is. Ideally, you want everything grounded on the chassis at one point, so you don't see this feedback. That's why his throttle response is better after the ground kit. People with feedback coming through their stereo can attest to this too, that's a common problem when you have a decent sized amp in the trunk (and grounded in the trunk).
Old 11-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just did a DIY grounding kit on a '99 GSR and have these connections. Chassis to vc, vc to alt, alt to intake mani, intake mani to tb, tb to tranny, tranny to chassis, and tb to negative battery terminal. Thinking about adding a wire from starter to tb or to tranny.

Starts up quicker, highs a bit more crisp, brighter lights and no fading when the bass hits, and better throttle response. Noticable but nothing extraordinary.

I also used a dremel to clean the connections where the ring terminals attach to the chassis & components. If the connection is not clean it doesn't matter how thick or fancy your grounding wires are.

Other kits have a voltage stabilizer included (Raizin, Apexi, etc.). Anyone have comments on using this and if it's worth it vs. just running new wires?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: grounding kit (cheehee)

agreed, when your lights come on, the rpm doesn't drop as much, same with rear defrost, etc.

Good thing to have.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: grounding kit (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you ground multiple things at multiple points on the chassis, you get feedback through the ground wire back into your electrical system. the farther apart your ground points are, the worse the feedback is. Ideally, you want everything grounded on the chassis at one point, so you don't see this feedback. That's why his throttle response is better after the ground kit. People with feedback coming through their stereo can attest to this too, that's a common problem when you have a decent sized amp in the trunk (and grounded in the trunk).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said you did a DIY Grounding kit? Could you tell us what you did? I'm interested.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1027191

Just search the archives and you'll find tons of other threads.