Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

grinding when i shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding when i shift

I got an Si coupe(EX in the US), and when i drive normally, it shifts fine, no problems. However, i was out driving a few days ago and decided to push it, shifting out of first gear around 6kRPM...when i did that, as i shifted, the car made this nasty grinding noise n i felt this weird grinding like feeling in the shifter.

i drove again normally and nothin happens...today it was normal all day, no problems, but i just came in from a drive, and i pushed the engine shifting high again, accelerating fast, and it did the same thing here n there.

anybody know what this may be? cuz again, when i'm driving normal daily driving, it's perfectly fine n smooth, it' sjust when i push it, i get this happening sometimes...it's happened only a handful of times, but i'm assumin it is gonna get worse?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: grinding when i shift (l2iceboy)

syncros perhaps not to bad right now but get it fixed before its expletive
Old 06-13-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Re: grinding when i shift (l2iceboy)

Not trying to slam ya, but it could be your shifting. And like the other dude says, your synchros could be going sour. Second and third are the first to go usually. Whatever the case, you can drive with bad syncros, IF you learn to time shifts. Believe it or not, you can shift without clutching, if you can match the engine revs with that of the tranny. Try it. Start in third gear, let off the throttle and pull the shifter into neutral and hold it lightly toward fourth. If all goes well, it'll slip into fourth like butter. Get a feel for this and you'll keep your trannies for longer and your trannies will love you back...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bad syncros, bent shift fork, worn shift fork bushings could be any of those. Pull the tranny, open it up and inspect whats worn/dammaged
Old 06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I suggest you change your tranny fluid before you do anything. It could be something as simple as just old fluid.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fast95eg8)

Synchros are are going, i heard of gm liquid called syncrhomesh will fix problem for like 3k miles then go back, just fix it
Old 06-14-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: (EkSi)

hey, thx for the replies, ok i asked my friend about this cuz he's pretty knowledgeable n such, he said the same thing, but he said that righ tnow it isnt bad nit'll probbaly last me a year before it gets really bad...he said that i should just drive it till it fully goes and then just put in a diff tranny later...is it expensive to repair? or am i better off doin what he said? like waitin till it fully goes or close to goin?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (l2iceboy)

Why expletive the tranny up? would you drive on a bad wheel berring till it fucked every thing up?

Pull the tranny and inspect the insides then call these guys: http://gearspeedinc.com/products.htm and get prices on what you need if its just a syncro set it proably wont be to expensive. You can do this all most likely with a Helms manual
Old 06-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

Default Re: (ECKO1980)

Modified by CardDealer at 9:46 AM 11/16/2006
Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schlit)

Throw some GM syncromesh in there that will cover the problem up for a while.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaxEfficient &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not trying to slam ya, but it could be your shifting. And like the other dude says, your synchros could be going sour. Second and third are the first to go usually. Whatever the case, you can drive with bad syncros, IF you learn to time shifts. Believe it or not, you can shift without clutching, if you can match the engine revs with that of the tranny. Try it. Start in third gear, let off the throttle and pull the shifter into neutral and hold it lightly toward fourth. If all goes well, it'll slip into fourth like butter. Get a feel for this and you'll keep your trannies for longer and your trannies will love you back...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called rev-matching. And yes, GM Synchromesh may help for a while
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i vote for a fluid change. forget all the GM syncromesh garbage, just go to honda and get the needed amount of manual tranny fluid.

also check and make sure you arent low on fluid in your clutch master cylinder, which if you are low, you have a leak somewhere. my clutch master cylinder was on the way out, and mine did the same thing as you are describing. just check around before you look into tearing your tranny apart and such. just knock out all the easy stuff, no need to dive in head first into your tranny, when it could be a small problem.

good luck!