Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Grinding sound when taking a sharp left turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Batpool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding sound when taking a sharp left turn

I've found that whenever I take a really sharp left turn, like a quick u-turn or something, I get a grinding/scraping sound coming from the front right of the car. I can't tell if it's coming from the suspension or not, but it sounds really bad, almost as if the car is scraping along the ground. Does anybody have any ideas what this could be?

The car is lowered to 1 finger gap all around on Ksports 10k/7k if that's any help. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My completely stock 328i has the same noise when turning sharply (like when parallel parking for instance) it is like the wheel is actually rubbing against the wheel well.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RighteousRyano)

yeah sounds like the tires are grinding. The lowering is too low. Also, is your car LHD and you're heavy? :D
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rikaro)

maybe the tire is rubbing against the plastic piece that covers the black intake thing....not sure what its called..the driver side has it too and it covers the washer fluid thing...mine was doing the same thing..
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Batpool

I found out I actually WAS scraping on the ground. It would only happen when I made a sharp left turn as I was braking, so the whole weight would be on the right front of the car, driving the bumper into the ground. I think I will either raise it or tighten up the suspension so I don't drag anymore. I wasn't even that low, but I guess the tightness of the turn and the amount of braking pushed me too low.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I occasionally rub my front splash guards on tight corners when all my weight rolls to the front corner.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SilentEdge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilentEdge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found out I actually WAS scraping on the ground. It would only happen when I made a sharp left turn as I was braking, so the whole weight would be on the right front of the car, driving the bumper into the ground. I think I will either raise it or tighten up the suspension so I don't drag anymore. I wasn't even that low, but I guess the tightness of the turn and the amount of braking pushed me too low.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your car isn't that low and your bumper is scrapping the ground while doing a u-turn then you need to get better more reliable struts. i don't know how good ksport are but, you shouldn't be having this problem.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I occasionally rub my front splash guards on tight corners when all my weight rolls to the front corner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the name i was lookin for..SPLASH GUARDS...man, i couldnt think of it
Old 03-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Batpool

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I occasionally rub my front splash guards on tight corners when all my weight rolls to the front corner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to show my unknowledgeable side, but what are splash guards and how can I tell if I am rubbing on them? What does it sound like?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its sound like your wheel is rubbing...

the splash guards are the BLACK PLASTIC things that are screwed on the inside part of the fender and bumper....
Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my em1 did the same thing, my car wasnt drop yet. but each time i turn left, it made that similar noise, while making a right turn it doesnt make the noise. turned out to be the brake pad indicator. so i replaced all four brake bads and the noise was gone.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (B18CivicEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its sound like your wheel is rubbing...

the splash guards are the BLACK PLASTIC things that are screwed on the inside part of the fender and bumper....</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that's your fender liner. The splash guards are the oem "mudflaps" .... even though they're not flaps.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, that's your fender liner. The splash guards are the oem "mudflaps" .... even though they're not flaps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well yea...the fender liner is what rubs on my sht....splash guards, i just call the mudflaps...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Batpool

I don't think I have splash guards. Is there anything I can check to find out exactly what is scraping? It's great to think about what it can be, but what would be a good indicator of what is actually rubbing/scraping?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilentEdge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think I have splash guards. Is there anything I can check to find out exactly what is scraping? It's great to think about what it can be, but what would be a good indicator of what is actually rubbing/scraping?</TD></TR></TABLE>

check your brake pads! maybee the sound is comming from the brake indicator telling you that you need new brake pads!! thats what happen to me, i changed the brake pads and the noise went away.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:55 PM

i need to get some wheel well liner..... yeah i bet the inside of youre wheel is rubbing on the plastic by ure engine.... look for markings or scuff marks when u get time.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilentEdge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found out I actually WAS scraping on the ground. It would only happen when I made a sharp left turn as I was braking, so the whole weight would be on the right front of the car, driving the bumper into the ground. I think I will either raise it or tighten up the suspension so I don't drag anymore. I wasn't even that low, but I guess the tightness of the turn and the amount of braking pushed me too low.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dame .....thats low
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Batpool

Default Re: (1clean_ Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1clean_ Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dame .....thats low</TD></TR></TABLE>

But...that doesn't sound right. I'm not that low at all. 1 finger gap? Even though the corner of my bumper is scraped I just can't imagine that that is actually what happens. It just doesn't make sense. Tomorrow morning I'll be out there with my equipment and I'll get a scoop on what the deal is, and I will try a test to see if the bumper is scraping (maybe tape a piece of paper onto the bumper, do a really hard sharp left turn until I hear it, and then check to see if the paper is still there? It could work).
Old 03-08-2007, 02:00 PM

when i frist got my car it was lowered about that and had 17's and it would rube all the time now i have it on black hx's pretty low and it don't rube any more!!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 AM

Just got a carjack and jacked the front of my car up today to do an oil change. I noticed the wheel well walls were sagging! So I pushed them back up... I am going to take apart the whole front bumper and fan to get a good look at whats in side. I am a complete noob at this. But at least since I raised my car I found the problem, which I thought was the case. Just didnt know why...