Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Grinding clutch / Transmission HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding clutch / Transmission HELP PLEASE

So, I just bought a 97 dx manual, and when the clutch is in ALL the way, the car sounds great, when you let the clutch out even just a little bit, there is a grinding noise. Also when you drive it, there is a grinding noise when power is being applied, in any gear. My dad said that its not the TO because it would stop after just pushing the clutch in a little ways. Also, the clutch seems to work fine--I can drive it easily, there is just a terrible grinding noise when in gear. Any clues on what I should start changing? If not im gonna just start tearing the thing apart!!! I'll find out one way or another!!! Any help would be awesome
Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 AM

I'd start w/ a complete clutch kit throw out bearing and all
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding clutch / Transmission HELP PLEASE (97dxred)

I believe you've got a very very worn down clutch. Same issue with me when I got my D15B from Japan. I got it in, got it running, and once I headed down the street, all I was hearing was the creaking and grinding of the clutch and its springs.

As a solution, yes, you probably will need to just start tearing into it. Exedy Stage I clutch kit with a new flywheel (optional, as you can have your old one resurfaced) and TOB would be your best bet. You'll also want to get a new master and slave cylinder soon before they blow out.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought your clutch is worn when tranny/clutch starts slippin at least thats how mine is right now, couple times i tried burnout it just slips and dont grip though RPM goes up.....but if u hear grinding noise, i think thats comming from the tranny....u should wait for more info before u start spending money.

The Previous tranny i had was grinding and as soon as i swapped it out using same clutch...i had no more grinding...though this new to me tranny doesnt let me put in second gear right away...always takes like 1-2 seconds before it actually lets me put in gear.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SinsEvil666)

Yes, it is possible that the transmission itself is the culprit. Either way, he will probably have to pull the tranny off to inspect either option.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

you say the noise goes away when you push the pedal down to the floor right? If that is the case the most likely problem is the ISB (input shaft bearing) on the transmission. The ISB tend to start getting noisy on cars with higher milage. It is a fairly easy part to change out but it does intail pulling the transmission out opening the case to replace the bearing

Modified by instructor74 at 6:40 PM 6/11/2008
Old 06-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (instructor74)

Thanks for the quick responses, that is right, sound goes away when the clutch is in all the way. I guess when i get home from work i will start by pulling the tranny off, I guess i might as well do the tob, clutch, flywheel while im in there right? I already bought a clutch and flywheel from napa, should i return them to get exedy? Will there be that much of a difference, it is only a d16, i plan on getting something bigger to put in it next summer. Let me know what you think, it probably won't be on the road till next week sometime anyway.