Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Greddy, Tenabe and DC???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy, Tenabe and DC???

Hi All;

I just moved from the Chrysler world to a 02 civic Si Veloz coupe. I am trying to get a handle on the terminology and upgrades that i can do to my new machine. The car came with an AEM CAI on it... one of the probs i have is that someone at honda when i took it there said that the CAI runs down to far and may start sucking water but he wasnt sure... Im wondering if this is true? i thought these things had a valve or something to avoid sucking water on a rainy day.

secondly; i am considering puting an exhaust on it but am unsure of what to go with. One guy at a performance shop recomended that i go with DC headers, Greddy EVO cat back system and tenabe muffler... he said not to go with the magnaflow stuff as its too noisy... this stuff appears to be very expensive (3 grand) just wondering what everyones thoughts on this where... i want to increase horsepower but not outrageously and still maintain good fuel economy.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks all

Old 01-08-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Greddy, Tenabe and DC??? (biff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hi All;

I just moved from the Chrysler world to a 02 civic Si Veloz coupe. I am trying to get a handle on the terminology and upgrades that i can do to my new machine. The car came with an AEM CAI on it... one of the probs i have is that someone at honda when i took it there said that the CAI runs down to far and may start sucking water but he wasnt sure... Im wondering if this is true? i thought these things had a valve or something to avoid sucking water on a rainy day.

secondly; i am considering puting an exhaust on it but am unsure of what to go with. One guy at a performance shop recomended that i go with DC headers, Greddy EVO cat back system and tenabe muffler... he said not to go with the magnaflow stuff as its too noisy... this stuff appears to be very expensive (3 grand) just wondering what everyones thoughts on this where... i want to increase horsepower but not outrageously and still maintain good fuel economy.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks all

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep the CAI will suck in water and damage the engine... but only if you run in the deep water...
chance is there but rare...
there is a bypass valve for AEM CAI, but it will decrease the power little bit

serach for great header test will give you an answer

Modified by kool168 at 2:39 AM 1/9/2004
Old 01-08-2004, 05:25 PM

Welcome to H-T! Definitely do not spend 3 grand on that stuff, not worth the 20-25 hp you will pick up. IMHO for 3 grand, I would go with a super charger setup. A lot of people on here will say go the turbo route, but turbos grenade engines and takes time to spool, whereas superchargers are instant power.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Greddy, Tenabe and DC??? (CarbonCreations)

The same guy quote 4500 for supercharger and 5500 for the turbo... i didnt want to spend alot of loot on this but might be able to get this stuff off ebay or something. i was also told that i didnt want to go with magnaflow as it would sound too loud over time and i wouldnt get the quality i would out of the tanabe muffler system.

im trying to post the pic of my new ride but cant quite finger it out..???
Old 01-08-2004, 06:04 PM

You need to host the picture somewhere then link to it with [img][/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 06:19 PM

i got it.. here it is... it needs rims pretty bad.. not sure whether this can use 17" or 16".. i was thinking 16"'s with low profile tires.. maybe some Konig's.. .any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:25 PM

ick no offense man but you should just take the picture down No one here is going to appreciate it.

Lose the vinyl, the altezzas, like you said get new rims, get a suspension setup. THEN get your turbo or SC.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:34 PM

Is it that bad?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Biff, I'm going to give you a little help. PPL here including me tend to not get into BIG Stunna/Bling BLing rims and graphics. If thats what your looking for its all good and I don't mind. I figure it's your car you should do whatever makes you happy with it. you might have better luck on graphics and rim questions in the Appearance / Cosmetic Forum.

Personally I would go with 15" rims. You can go the Rota route since alot of PPL seem to like them! Me I like original rims. I agree that not everyone wants to blow the cash on originals and that cool.

It you want my opinion on what rims to put on your car. I would put Mugen MF8's Or Mugen MF10 mirrior rims on it!! As for tires since it looks like you live in the snow you should look at some good tires that are directional tread with a little give.

Hope you like the new car! Welcome to H-T and Imports Cars!!!

Old 01-08-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Greddy, Tenabe and DC??? (trav)

research and price check before you spend

alot of H-T'ers can hook u up for most stuff

remember, it's like everything else, u get what you pay for