GReddy SP puke problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GReddy SP puke problems

EDIT: RESOLUTION SIX MONTHS LATER

[VERY SUMMARIZED:
Situation resolved after six months. GReddy lost my paperwork the first time. The SP2 (replacement for the SP) is not made for the 96-00 hatch. They offered to cut up an SP2 from 92-95 application to make it fit but would take weeks. The shop, Rotary Performance, also carries Apexi. GReddy gives credit to RP for Apexi world sport exhaust, and after much discussion agrees to pay for freight of the Apexi exhaust to me. RP taxes me on the freight I pay for my SP to GReddy. I like the WS (full stainless--although a little rust already?) more than the SP. WS is quieter, has better fitment, and is more aesthetically pleasing. No dyno figures on either exhaust...it's okay, though, because D-series with bolt-ons = slow.]

Car: 98 hb
Exhaust: GReddy SP
Miles on exhaust: ~20K
Track/autox miles on exhaust: ~1K

Noticed a change in exhaust tone in the last couple of weeks as if the tone would temporarily sour and lose its deep tone quality. Happened to be walking by the hatch this afternoon and noticed what looked like a spiderweb in the tip. End up pulling out what seems to be some muffler baffling material.

Pics:

Is this a GReddy warranty issue?

Modified by kent, clark at 12:17 PM 5/25/2005
Old 07-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope so
Old 07-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

same thing happened to my HKS super dragger, now shes hollow and for sale for 20 bucks
Old 07-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohcMONSTER)

I'd rather not hollow it out...
Old 07-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kent, clark)

we all know the right thing to do...

send them pics to greddy and get demand a new one!
Old 07-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy SP puke problems (kent, clark)

Holy crap!

Yeah time to call Greddy.

-Ben
Old 07-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we all know the right thing to do...

send them pics to greddy and get demand a new one!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was wondering...is that how it works? Obviously, I need to try. I can send pics of the 'damage' as well as a copy of the receipt. The exhaust is almost three years old...
Old 07-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wouldnt that be resonator or muffler innards?
that shoudlnt happen
Old 07-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats one hell of a hairball, def send pics to greddy...from what i've heard they should replace it
Old 07-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy SP puke problems (kelvar13)

Their greddy.com usa contact is not picking up (perhaps closed until Mon). It would be great if a receipt is not necessary as it would save me about an hour of digging through stuff. Have there ever been similar experiences on this board? BTW, thanks for the responses, guys.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go ahead and drag the receipt out before you call them back on Monday. They may try to give you the runaround if you don't have it.

Additionally, they may try to give you a runaround if you didn't buy from an 'authorized' vendor.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:34 PM

im going to check mine now. just got the sp2. i dont have that many miles on it yet...maybe 1k. how long before the "break in"? Mine has been sounding a little raspy when i accelerate, like a cheap ricer exhaust, but then it sounds badass at middle to high rpm and cruising speeds. normal?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy SP puke problems (baldylox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baldylox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to check mine now. just got the sp2. i dont have that many miles on it yet...maybe 1k. how long before the "break in"? Mine has been sounding a little raspy when i accelerate, like a cheap ricer exhaust, but then it sounds badass at middle to high rpm and cruising speeds. normal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't really remember any long 'break-in' period. When you coast to a stop while in, say second, gear you should hear the sound open up really deep-like. Really it would be hard to compare as we have completely different setups.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Most GReddy S(hitty)P(roduct) exhausts do that. I'm sure your muffler composite cubes were the first to go as they usually go before the steel wool. Is your muffler rattling? Chances are the interior perforated pipe broke off.

Most SPs do this within 2 or 3 years. Another SP issue is the failure of the weld at the flange that meets the cat converter, resulting in rattling. This is easily rewelded. The interior perforated pipe however cannot be rewelded without taking the muffler apart. You might as well get a new muffler. That's what the geniuses at GReddy said. "Just get a universal muffler. They're only like $100 or less."
Old 07-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just go ahead and drag the receipt out before you call them back on Monday. They may try to give you the runaround if you don't have it.

Additionally, they may try to give you a runaround if you didn't buy from an 'authorized' vendor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Found the receipt...Wow...bought this exhaust three years ago for $424.80 from aieonline.com. They're not registered as a dealer on greddy.com, but I'm fairly sure they are an authorized distributor.

Modified by kent, clark at 5:57 PM 7/17/2004
Old 07-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy SP puke problems (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outrun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most GReddy S(hitty)P(roduct) exhausts do that. I'm sure your muffler composite cubes were the first to go as they usually go before the steel wool. Is your muffler rattling? Chances are the interior perforated pipe broke off.

Most SPs do this within 2 or 3 years. Another SP issue is the failure of the weld at the flange that meets the cat converter, resulting in rattling. This is easily rewelded. The interior perforated pipe however cannot be rewelded without taking the muffler apart. You might as well get a new muffler. That's what the geniuses at GReddy said. "Just get a universal muffler. They're only like $100 or less."</TD></TR></TABLE>

You find all this out from some crystal ball? You are exactly right, with the rattling and the flange at the cat. Do you happen to know if these problems were corrected in the SP2? I'm guessing they would want to fulfill the warranty by sending out an SP2 as I doubt they have any of the older SP's on hand.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:42 PM

Too bad for the muffler, but damn man, that stuff looks sick. Looks like a mass of pubic hair that nobody has shaved for 40 years....lmao.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kent, clark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You find all this out from some crystal ball? You are exactly right, with the rattling and the flange at the cat. Do you happen to know if these problems were corrected in the SP2? I'm guessing they would want to fulfill the warranty by sending out an SP2 as I doubt they have any of the older SP's on hand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My experience. My brother's experience. The grey 4-door sedan of one of the workers at the Best Buy by my house. My friend's SP on his Prelude.

I dont' know if the SP2 is better. I'm hoping it is because that's what I want to get next. I like the look of the SP1 the best but I'm not going to spend all that money for a crappy product.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I think the warranty applies only to exhausts purchased from authorized dealers. The guy at GReddy was kinda vague. I didn't feel like talking to him since he pissed me off with the "just get a universal muffler" comment. Plus I drove 100 miles out to Irvine to show them (after I called and they told me to drive out).
Old 07-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I would hope they would honor any case of an obvious manufacture's defect. I will definitely keep you guys posted.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta go through the company i ordered from first (cannot contact greddy directly)...will keep you posted
Old 07-19-2004, 06:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kent, clark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gotta go through the company i ordered from first (cannot contact greddy directly)...will keep you posted</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean? Do you mean talking to someone there?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy SP puke problems (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What do you mean? Do you mean talking to someone there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I mean talking with the seller (aieonline.com) that I bought from...not the greddy.com cali contact.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:41 AM

im pulling mine off this weekend to look at it better. mine does a bit of rattling. but its got funny sound sometimes that sounds like ***. how much affect would a straight pipe have instead of a cat?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my sp did the exact same thing...now i have a magnaflow oval in its place

Quick Reply: GReddy SP puke problems