Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Greddy SP broke I think :( *shrugs*

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy SP broke I think :( *shrugs*

I have a Greddy SP catback on my car (92 EG, 85MM vtec with profabs)

The catback has always been quite, nice and deep. Out of nowhere it started to sound like a bumble bee...Its really bad, loud and it drives me nuts. I hear that after a while a charcoal canister within the muffler.

Does anyone know where I can get a greddy SP axle back? If not does anyone know if any other brand axle backs will just bolt up to the greddy section beyond the axle?

I like the apexi NOIR (the black one, its sexy) or maybe I can find me an RSR axle back. I know I can weld anything on there I want but I'm lazy and would love to find a bolt on solution if possible.

Gotta get this fixed right away as I'm PARANOID of getting pulled over because of my motor (cops pop hoods 'round here)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy SP broke I think :( *shrugs* (jaM3s Bond)

I have the stock greddy resonator and another 18" resonator on my current pipping.

With 2 good resonators do the ES OVALS Buzz/Rasp much?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man.......my sp2 is doing this after 2 years. Sounds like a leak on mine tho. My cousin with an sp2 catback on his 97 gsr still sounds the same. Hopefully its just a loose gasket but haven't time to check it.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSiRX)

From what I've read in the past on HT, GReddy SP exhausts are known to burst at the welds inside the muffler, resulting in the bumblebee sound.

My bro had the same thing happen to his after like 4 years on his car (January 1999 - May 2003), mine did the same thing after like 3.5 years (December 2000 - June 2004).

I had a friend who had the same thing happen to his Trust exhaust after a couple of years or so.

How long have you had your SP exhaust?

I'm assuming any decent muffler should sound good with the GReddy piping. I tried the stock axleback on the GReddy piping but it's not perfect as the whole piping will rattle against the heat shield. I'm sure any muffler shop can get an aftermarket muffler to fit perfectly with the GReddy piping.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man.......my sp2 is doing this after 2 years. Sounds like a leak on mine tho. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is very discouraging to hear, as my brother and I are looking to get SP2 exhausts in the future. I currently have a GReddy EVO exhaust on my coupe (been on it for 2 years) and so far so good. I should search HT to see if the EVO exhausts have the same problem as the SP exhausts.

If it's a loose gasket you should hear the rattling during idle or low revs. If you do hard accelerating and hear the buzzing sound then it's definitely the muffler that's busted.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:57 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (White95SiHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I've read in the past on HT, GReddy SP exhausts are known to burst at the welds inside the muffler</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what happened to my original SP on my EG. I have an SP2 on my other hatch and no issues yet, it's been on there for 8 months or so (custom fitted from an Altima though, and sitting sideways since it's on an EF).
Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aww man, thats not what i want to hear. Thats definetly it, under hard acceleration, i hear a low buzzing sound. This sucks, i have heard of this happening to the 1st gen sp, but the sp2 too...this blows. Gonna check on it in the next few days to make sure.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it's a loose gasket you should hear the rattling during idle or low revs. If you do hard accelerating and hear the buzzing sound then it's definitely the muffler that's busted.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSiRX)

Thanks for everyones replys

I have had the catback for only a few months, my friend had it on his car for a little over a year. Sucks I just painted it black and it was lookin stealthy!

Sucks that greddy does not sell that muffler seperate, I cant seem to find a NOIR as an axle back either.

My muffler setup was sooo nice with 2 resonators and the SP, but now its very

I am for sure not going to buy a whole brand new catback setup.

Is the Apexi WS full 60MM all the way?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaM3s Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaM3s Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is the Apexi WS full 60MM all the way? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure, but if the piping doesn't match well with the GReddy piping, you can always have a muffler shop remove the piping from the WS muffler and fabricate one that will fit better with the GReddy piping.

Another option is eBay. Just type 'SP muffler' and you'll see quite a few look-alike SP mufflers by Tsudo.

Not sure on the quality though. I know when my cousin got rear-ended, his SP muffler was replaced with a look-alike and he said it sounded the same. I don't know if the replacement was a Tsudo or not though.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not sure, but if the piping doesn't match well with the GReddy piping, you can always have a muffler shop remove the piping from the WS muffler and fabricate one that will fit better with the GReddy piping.

Another option is eBay. Just type 'SP muffler' and you'll see quite a few look-alike SP mufflers by Tsudo.

Not sure on the quality though. I know when my cousin got rear-ended, his SP muffler was replaced with a look-alike and he said it sounded the same. I don't know if the replacement was a Tsudo or not though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet I might end up trying this muffler, Ill let everyone know if I do and how it sounds.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would not use a Ebay Exhaust
Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cln92eg)

There is also this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...64727

Atleast its OBX, I have used some of there cheap stuff and it turned out to be pretty decent.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaM3s Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Atleast its OBX</TD></TR></TABLE>

never thought i would hear that one
Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

never thought i would hear that one</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well in the world of ebay its atleast a known company, they are down the street from me, we used to use some of there little things here and there, OBX is not the company it used to be. They are no greddy,apex blah blah, but they tend to get the job done in most situations.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since I have 2 resonators Im thinking a black ES oval will sound damn nice?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaM3s Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since I have 2 resonators Im thinking a black ES oval will sound damn nice? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2171193

Also do a search on archived content, you'll probably find some helpful threads.