Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got a tricky problem here... If you think you can help, read on...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a tricky problem here... If you think you can help, read on...

OK, heres a little history of whats going on. I swapped a JDM B16A into my 1993 Honda Civic DX in January. When I got it in I was throwing 3 codes; IAT Sensor High Voltage, VSS, and A/T Lockup Solenoid. The car would idle surge from 1000-1500 RPM. I got the VSS problem fixed and then I left for college without touching the other 2 codes or the idle surging problem. I got back and had to rebuild the transmission because it was trash/ I had a defective shift linkage. Now this brings us to this week once I have the car running again now with Hasport mounts and shift linkage installed.

I thought the idle surging was due to the fact that the IAT Sensor was bad or was malfunctioning for whatever reason. So, today I finally figured out what the problem was with the IAT, (had a plug switched .) I went to start it, and damn it, it still surged.

Now, I checked everything and I have no vacuum leak. The IACV is not throwing a code so I'm going out on a limb here and saying its good... Everything else is connected yet it still idle surges and I am still throwing code 19-2 A/T Lockup Solenoid- B.

I also replaced the TPS with one from Inline4 because I removed the OEM one so I could clean the throttle body thoroughly. Now when I hit the gas pedal, the car bucks uncontrollably upon acceleration after deceleration. Example: I am in third gear, slow up to go around a sharp turn letting off the pedal, I don't downshift, hit the pedal again and the car bucks wildly and can't keep a constant throttle position. I have the TPS set within the proper voltage reading, (.30 v), so this is stumping me as well. The thing is that this doesn't have this problem all the time, its very temperamental.

Sorry for the novel but I figured that if I gave enough information, it would help you guys to figure it out and get you to my standpoint. Anyone with any help, please post. This car is getting on my last nerves and I can't take it anymore.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Got a tricky problem here... If you think you can help, read on... (JDM EJ2)

Hmmm, are you using an automatic ecu with your swap?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a tricky problem here... If you think you can help, read on... (1CaMw0nDeR)

Honestly I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure because its throwing the A/T Lockup code. Its a P30 ECU and from what I understand, that is the JDM B16A ECU. I didn't think that B16's came with automatic transmissions so thats why I'm really confused. I don't think that would effect the way the car runs but I don't know...
Old 06-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a tricky problem here... If you think you can help, read on... (1CaMw0nDeR)

it may be in your dizzy, cyl position sensor or crank angle sensor. when you give it gas again after slowing down does it react as soon as you touch the gas or does it take a lil peddle to get the bucking problem going? i had a similiar problem with the bucking and i replaced my dizzy, t/b, map sensor. map was bad and my tps was off .3 mv. bucking gone.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a tricky problem here... If you think you can help, read on... (biggdogg)

It is an immediate reaction, as soon as I touch the gas pedal it goes crazy. Its so bad that I have to take off in 2nd and its nearly impossible to look like you've driven a manual car before.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 PM

B16A engine DO have an option for an automatic transmission/ecu. When I did an automatic to manual swap on my D motor anything and everything automatic related was sandwiched into a harness plug that will clip into an auto ecu but WONT clip into a manual ecu. If you're throwing automatic CEL's I would agree with 1camwonder and bet it's an auto ecu.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Got a tricky problem here... If you think you can help, read on... (JDM EJ2)

Hmmm, well I had bought a P28 a while back and was under the impression that it was from a B16 del sol... Well I plugged it in and right away threw same A/T Lockup code and my car idled like asscrack... So I just cracked open the ecu and took a look for myself... If you have a resistor on RP17 than it's an automatic transmission, it's quite simple to convert an ecu from auto/manual so that's what I did and it solved all my issues... Well also had to open up the FITV, than all my issues were solved... Have u tried that yet??
Old 06-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Re: (civicdriverzero1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdriverzero1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If you're throwing automatic CEL's I would agree with 1camwonder and bet it's an auto ecu. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^
That's a smart fella...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1CaMw0nDeR)

Well, today I found out that my surging problem is due to the Idle Air Control Valve so I ordered that but I am still having the problem with the bucking after acceleration. I have a feeling that its the TPS but I'm not too sure what could be wrong with it...