Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got Spark Got air Got fuel Car Cranks, but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Spark Got air Got fuel Car Cranks, but wont start

ive been searching this board for a while now and i have been listening to everything that people have siad about when a car cranks and wont start...ive checked everything ....heres the deal...i did a compression check on my car and it came out to be 195 acrossed all the cylinders , after i was done the car woudnt turn on...it cranks but no start....

the firing order on the car is perfect
i have spark
i have fuel
fuel pump turns on
theres FP
theres no clogs in the intake
Ecu fuse and all fuses under the hood are perfect
timing is perfect..both ignition and cam
Grounds from what we have tested and found are all intact and working
The coil and the dizzy have been checkd for voltage and there working mint.
Battery is charged

The car cranks and cranks and really wants to start but for some reason just wont....

someting weird that happend is that out side of the car i can touch a plug to a ground and get a spark ,but the timing light wont flash a light when there in the cylinders...The car drove fine right before i did a compression check. there are no sensors that are off and everything has been check and tripple checked..

when i take a plug out after i crank there soaked....

My last thing is that i think that the ecu that i just bought off here might have come to my House DOA and that might be the problem....i dont know if that would casue it but im sure it wouldnt help if it was DOA...the ecu is a p28.

If you have any ideas on what this problem could be the information would be great im trying to get this thing started so ican put the turbo on

i think this is all the information that you all ask for when discussing a no start..i hope that you can help
Old 03-21-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Got Spark Got air Got fuel Car Cranks, but wont start (94greddycivic)

i got same exact prob with d16y8 swap
wont fire but craknnks
Old 03-21-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Got Spark Got air Got fuel Car Cranks, but wont start (94greddycivic)

i really cant figure it out and its getting really annoying...all the posts about this on here have the same symtoms but after people figure out the problem they dont post what the casue was
Old 03-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for a quick solution if this is the problem..

find a friend with the same distributor and swap them out and see if it cranks then... if it dont then i'd say your **** outta luck

Old 03-22-2004, 03:23 AM

could it be the ecu
Old 03-22-2004, 03:26 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94greddycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could it be the ecu
</TD></TR></TABLE>

its possible.

When you say you have spark....what color is it?

If it's orange, you have a dizzy problem, most likely the ignitor.

You won't have ignition unless it's a nice blue spark.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:56 AM

its blue, whats the reason that when its out side the car it sparks but when in the cylinder and under compression the timing light wont pick it up....and i know for sure that the timing light is good....could everything be reading fine and the ignighter be bad on the car....still get spark out side but not powerful enought inside
Old 03-22-2004, 03:58 AM

maybe your dist is 180 off. couple people i know had this problem.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:54 AM

distibutor wasnt touched at all....even since ive had the car...all the timing is good.....could it be a fuse under the dash....also what would casue it not to fire under compression
Old 03-22-2004, 05:52 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (94greddycivic)

a.) improper engine and transmission ground(s)
b.) dead ECU
c.) bad distributor
Old 03-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

Do you have a Chipped ECU? if so id be more than willing to bet that it **** the bed. throw in a stock ECU.....see what it does.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Vapor)

When you did the compression check, did you unhook anything to keep it from firing?? I had problems, it turned out to be my icm, in the distributor, but i had spare ones laying around, from my other d motors. If you happen to have any, swap them out. You can just swap the ICM or the coil pack.

When you check the spark plug outside the block, how are you grounding it??
Old 03-22-2004, 07:46 AM

You said you checked the dizzy and coil for voltage, I just wonder if the coil is discharging. I had this problem recently, I was soooo frustrated b/c eveything checked out (w/ voltage anyway) Im probably wrong, but its worth a shot. It is what ended up being wrong with mine and I was so thrilled. A guy on H-T asked me if the voltage was the only check for the coil, ans it was. Then he told me to take a long screwdriver and stick it in the coil and ground it and see if it sparks. Mine didn't, BUT it tested 12v when I tested it that way. When I swaped it, it started, flooded but started. Good Luck. Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:13 PM

bump
Old 03-22-2004, 07:24 PM

anyone got a pic of where to stick the screwdriver..and its weird beasue mine is testing 12v to and when i hook a timing light to a wire it doesnt flash...is this common for it to be blown out and still register a 12v reading....also to clear up other questions in this post ... i grounded my spark plug wires to the frame...a spark was coming from them that was white...also the ecu is stock but i havent ruled that out for foul play yet....could it be any fuses under the dash
Old 03-23-2004, 06:06 AM

ttt please help
Old 03-23-2004, 07:44 AM
range

Crazy, I feel your pain dude. I got a GSR sitting in my garage for over a year. I just recently started to try to fire it up. I had a bad engine harness and dizzy was missing after it was stolen. I re-did all the wiring w/ a new engine harness and got 2 dizzy's at this point. A new p-28 ecu and the freaken car won't startl. We think it's the timing. The thiefs stole the valve cover and they had thought I had my cams up-graded so they went poking around. Well my belt gots crazy play on it, so next is to try to do the timing belt. It got spark, fuel, everything is grounded and relays have been swapped out. Horrible that I got such a bad *** car just sitting there looking at me everytime I do my laundry.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you said you have spark but do you have spark in the correct order? check your plug connections. if they are correct then its almost certainly a timing or compression problem.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Got Spark Got air Got fuel Car Cranks, but wont start (monicle)

When doing a comp. test you are suppose to unplug the fuel system or injectors and the dizzy. If you did not unplug the injectors, you may have been putting raw fuel in the engine causing it to flood. You said the plugs were soaked. Check it out!!!!

Also check the timing agian........Look at a Haynes manual, and check the plug wires and all spark plugs. If the car ran good before you started than you have done somthing wrong or left somthing out.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Got Spark Got air Got fuel Car Cranks, but wont start (dohcter g)

You did put the spark plugs back in didn't you!!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:33 AM

the timing is perfect and i checked the haynes manual for that. i got spark when its grounded to the frame...i dont know if its enough spark to get it going..is it possible that i busted up a portion of the coil?....also it was flooded but i left the plugs out for 4 days so i think by then it would have dried out...the compression on the car is good its 195 over all the cylinders....the plug order is fine to.....i think that somehow the coil is partly bad and im not getting a full spark...i reallt dont know ....if you guys have anyother ideas let me know im going to the car tonight to change the dizzy and swap a different ecu....we will see
Old 03-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem and it was my distributor .
Old 03-23-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (94greddycivic)

try swap out ignitor see if it help! You can use either B-series or D-series ignitor it both work fine. My case is more phantom though, sometime it start, other time it won't. I've change fuel pump, main relay, spark plugs, coils, checked all fuses, clean all ground but it only crank but won't start. On some beautiful day it start but die out after the fan turn on or even before that. So I took the ignitor from my stock D15 and put it on the B18B and it start right up, I waited for the fan to turn on 5 times and the car never die out. I've heard some people said that it's really common for the ignitor to went bad on a Civic, so give it a try see if anything improve.

BTW: ignitor really expensive, Acura quote me $270 for the LS ignitor and Honda qoute me $125 for 92 Civic DX ignitor
Old 03-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HIStateEG6)

what you do mean by soak? water? but yeah, one of my friend did that before and it was his Dist. so i would said, change out that first
Old 03-23-2004, 11:01 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94greddycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have fuel
fuel pump turns on
theres FP

The car cranks and cranks and really wants to start but for some reason just wont....

when i take a plug out after i crank there soaked....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you're dumping WAY too much fuel and flooding it out. a car that really wants to crank but cant with soaked *** plugs is classic of flooding.

is that ecu the correct one for your engine or is it a chipped ecu or a different one from your original? If so, it's fuel map is most likely completely wrong and you're dumping way too much fuel so it wont start.

try this:

pull the plugs out, pull the fuses for the ignition and fuel pump, crank the engine over some to blow out all the gas in the cylinders, spray the plugs with brake parts cleaner to get them clean and dry, toss em back in, put the fuel pump and ignition fuses back in, spray some starting fluid into the intake manifold and then see if you can crank it.

what kind of fuel injectors are you running?

Quick Reply: Got Spark Got air Got fuel Car Cranks, but wont start