Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo

Went to install my Integra Comptech rear sway bar/tie bar combo on my 92 CX today, and lo and behold the M8x30 bolts that go in this hole:

...and that also hold the sway bar bushing bracket in the hole above that one, are too small. Instead of threading into the subframe, the bolts slip in, and consequently don't hold at all.

Now, no big deal, I'll just get slightly thicker bolts tomorrow. But it was an annoying find, and I was wondering if this is a common occurence?

Doesn't seem like the Civic subframe would have sway bar holes that are a bit bigger than the Integra, so why is Comptech including bolts that don't fit?
Old 06-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (nw.dave)

hmm that doesnt seem right.... anyone else have this problem?? i was looking into getting this sway bar, i would like to know more
Old 06-19-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (snatch13)

It is because you are using an integra setup and not a civic specific setup. I run the civic setup for my car and had absolutley zero problems.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (SilverCivic2k)

stick a nut and washer on the back and call it a day
Old 06-19-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (SilverCivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stick a nut and washer on the back and call it a day</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I mean this isn't a real problem or anything, plenty of ways to go about fixing it, but irritating nonetheless.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilverCivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is because you are using an integra setup and not a civic specific setup. I run the civic setup for my car and had absolutley zero problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car is a '92, and Comptech only makes a kit for '94-'01 Tegs and '96+ Civics. Since the Integra and 5th Gen Civic seem to share everything, I didn't think there would be any problems.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (nw.dave)

no biggie man..

its a good bar, its design far outweighs any missized bolts.
they are probably due to the year of your car anyways.

but i dunno for sure.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (Tad)

I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this.

Not knocking Comptech or anything, I was amazed that they included brand new OEM Honda bolts at all
Old 06-20-2004, 01:15 AM

Not sure if im thinking of the same area of the subframe,
but where the brakets bolt on for my gsr swaybar there inst
a threaded hole for a bolt to go into. I had to use a bolt and
a washer. Its a 92 cx.

What hole are we talking about anyways?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (elwood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elwood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure if im thinking of the same area of the subframe,
but where the brakets bolt on for my gsr swaybar there inst
a threaded hole for a bolt to go into. I had to use a bolt and
a washer. Its a 92 cx.

What hole are we talking about anyways? </TD></TR></TABLE>

bolt and washer for me too on my rear sway...93 coupe..
Old 06-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (degooser)

If you're talking about the bolt that installs on the subframe itself, yes, you need a locknut or nut and lockwasher on the otherside. Integras have a nut tackwelded there, Civics don't. At least mine didn't. You would've known this had you read any of my super duper Comptech threads.

What kind of shocks/springs did you end up getting?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Integras have a nut tackwelded there, Civics don't.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahah! That must be it. Thanks Skye

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At least mine didn't. You would've known this had you read any of my super duper Comptech threads. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I spent about 10 mins. going through various archived Comptech threads before I posted this but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Guess I just need to try harder

And I ended up getting a set of Teg-rated GCs and Koni yellows used for $450. Just installed 'em yesterday actually, can't wait to go autocrossing!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Nice. We have the same set-up except I have 450s out back. Lemme ride along in your car sometime and get a feel for how different my car is.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (SkyeC)

Likewise. I have a feeling though that until I get a front sway on my car is just not gonna handle like I'm used to
Old 06-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nw.dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Likewise. I have a feeling though that until I get a front sway on my car is just not gonna handle like I'm used to </TD></TR></TABLE>

$5 says you'll love the way it feels with the rear bar and no front sway bar...
Old 06-20-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Got a question for those of you with Comptech sway/tie bar combo (Chris y0!)

That makes me optimistic I'm hoping that with the heavier springs up front and the rear sway on the soft setting I'll have a nice balance w/o a front sway. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.