Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

got the new tranny (installation and syncro question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got the new tranny (installation and syncro question)

okay so I picked up this 94 ex tranny tonight and the guy said it has a slight grind in 2nd if you slam it into gear... so I knwo it's the syncro.. now he said it only grinds if you "slam" it into gear... this tranny is goign to be on the car for about 3 months until the K gets here so should I go ahead and replace the syncro or do you think some GM syncromesh would be a better solution since it will only be in there for about 3 months??

now my question about installation... do I need to pull the motor or will it just make it easier... and for the clutch I will be using the clutch from my old tranny and I know it isnt put on there correctly because it has a lot of vibration when it is in neutral so where can I get a spline/tool to get it on there correctly... (autozone, pepboys) ??? Thanks a lot
Old 05-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got the new tranny (EGRhatch)

bump cause im going to bed and probably wont find out until tomorrow anyways
Old 05-03-2004, 09:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGRhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this tranny is goign to be on the car for about 3 months</TD></TR></TABLE>
just leave it go. it's not worth the parts & extensive labor if you're only using it for such a short time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGRhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do I need to pull the motor or will it just make it easier...</TD></TR></TABLE>
no need to do that... leave it in the car. there's plenty of room in a 5th gen. in a 4th gen it's easier to pull the motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGRhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where can I get a spline/tool to get it on there correctly</TD></TR></TABLE>
i think honda has them. but you might be able to get one from autozone. i really don't know, i've only used the tools that come with a new clutch kit.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: got the new tranny (jwn7)

Get a clutch alingment tool from anywhere really it is a very very very cheap tool.

I would through in some GM syncromesh Friction Modifyed (don't forget about the FM because the other **** is just the same as the Honda MTF) and let it go no point in ripping a trans all apart and doing a sycro when there is no need to.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGRhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> so I knwo it's the syncro.. now he said it only grinds if you "slam" it into gear... this tranny is goign to be on the car for about 3 months

since it only grinds going into 2 when slam then dont slam gears. can you wait 3 months and not beat on it? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: got the new tranny (5w20)

yo Brandon....having the vibration at idle has nothing to do with the clutch being alligned. If the mainshaft slid into the clutch disc- which it obviously has, then it is something else. Possibly a loose flywheel or pressure plate.

Be easy on that tranny because you know I'll be asking for it in 3 months

Just run some fresh Honda MTF and you should be fine....no need to be SLAMMING gears anyways...after all, it's only a single cam
Old 05-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got the new tranny (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo Brandon....having the vibration at idle has nothing to do with the clutch being alligned. If the mainshaft slid into the clutch disc- which it obviously has, then it is something else. Possibly a loose flywheel or pressure plate.

Be easy on that tranny because you know I'll be asking for it in 3 months

Just run some fresh Honda MTF and you should be fine....no need to be SLAMMING gears anyways...after all, it's only a single cam </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool... and I wont be smashing around here... every civic I have seen down here has either an LSvtec or an H22 so I'm too scared to race anyone anyway so this thing wont be smashed on... and all I really see are ss camaros (like '76 style) and new cobras... cool well I'm gonna go get started on this pullign this tranny out... yay!