Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got a new civic, Need help.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a new civic, Need help.

Picked up my new EG hatchback last night, It has a slight misfire type sound at idle. Runs and drives perfectly but idles low and has this sound. This video is IDENTICAL to the way mine is.

I put new spark plug tube seals in and spark plugs. The previous tube seals leaked and spark plugs had alot of oil on them. It helped it run a bit better but didn't resolve the misfire. I hear the sound like a vacuum leak near the back of intake manifold. But I can't see how i'm going to find it. Can a vacuum leak cause something like this? Also the old spark plugs were like powdery and was somewhat white as if it was alittle lean. Anyways here's some pics of the car. Completely stock d15b7 besides intake exhaust and spark plug wires.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got a new civic, Need help.

Do you have any check engine lights? Might be a long shot but if you don't have one check and see if the previous owner messed with it because I have heard of people removing their check engine light bulbs.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Lots of shiny extras on that ride's interior.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vacuum leaks can cause a lot of strange things. Is the diagram still under the hood on the sticker? If so, follow it and see if you can find anything cracked or missing. If it sounds like it is UNDER the intake manifold, and all other hoses look good, my bet is on the PCV breather box on the back of the block. Have fun, hope you have small hands.

PS.... don't try to mess with that box while the car is hot. lol
Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Master Ninja

Originally Posted by deschlong
Yes love the seats
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I smell a boost gauge. Did the PO tell you anything about how/when it was tuned? What fuel are you feeding it?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kiickz4dayz
Do you have any check engine lights? Might be a long shot but if you don't have one check and see if the previous owner messed with it because I have heard of people removing their check engine light bulbs.
No check engine lights. If I take off the battery cables for 5 minutes or so to reset the ecu would that tell me if it does for sure or not?

Originally Posted by deschlong
Yeah

Originally Posted by SiWannabe
Vacuum leaks can cause a lot of strange things. Is the diagram still under the hood on the sticker? If so, follow it and see if you can find anything cracked or missing. If it sounds like it is UNDER the intake manifold, and all other hoses look good, my bet is on the PCV breather box on the back of the block. Have fun, hope you have small hands.

PS.... don't try to mess with that box while the car is hot. lol
Yep I've been looking for it. Sprayed all the hoses on the intake manifold with spray and nothing bubbles. I'm just confused. You can hear it loudly. But it's just nowhere to be found...

Originally Posted by RI5ING SUN
Yes love the seats
thanks

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I smell a boost gauge. Did the PO tell you anything about how/when it was tuned? What fuel are you feeding it?
It's not boosted it's a completely stock d15b7. The previous previous owner installed those because he planned to do a b18c1 swap and boost it. The previous owner bought it and just daily drove it for a couple years. Now I bought it to daily while I continue on my teg.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Eh, I'm in a habit of never trusting a previous owner. People will tell you anything to sell the car. What ECU does the car have? Have you done a compression test? Checked timing?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eh, I'm in a habit of never trusting a previous owner. People will tell you anything to sell the car. What ECU does the car have? Have you done a compression test? Checked timing?
I usually don't trust previous owners either. But I do trust the previous owner of this one alittle bit. He has a 10 second all motor ek hatch. (Rob Reinen) That midori green one that's been all over the internet. Lol Havn't checked what ecu figure it's stock since it's stock motor but you never know, Guess i'll check tomorrow morning, Havn't done a compression test or check timing.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just a short list of things I would check if my car had a miss like yours.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TooFastVTEC
I usually don't trust previous owners either. But I do trust the previous owner of this one alittle bit. He has a 10 second all motor ek hatch. (Rob Reinen) That midori green one that's been all over the internet. Lol Havn't checked what ecu figure it's stock since it's stock motor but you never know, Guess i'll check tomorrow morning, Havn't done a compression test or check timing.
So why would he sell you a car with problem? Was it his beater or something? hen buying a used car you need to attend to some maintenance items, like a tuneup, no matter what the PO told you.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a short list of things I would check if my car had a miss like yours.
And I will be checking that kind of stuff tomorrow.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
So why would he sell you a car with problem? Was it his beater or something? hen buying a used car you need to attend to some maintenance items, like a tuneup, no matter what the PO told you.
Yep I know that a normal tuneup should be done. I've changed the spark plugs, spark plug tube seals, and valve cover gasket today, Going to flush radiator and put fresh anti freeze. Do a oil change. Etc.

Just extra info for the thread. I'm not a complete noob with cars. I got an integra gsr turbo also that i've pretty much changed everything on it. Bought this car to daily while I redo the motor on the teg.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What does owning a boosted Integra have to do with anything? Do a FULL ignition tuneup.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

spray a small amount of carb cleaner ON the areas you think there may be a vacuum leak. if your idle increases note where you sprayed and it will help you find the leak
Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess i'll just leave the vacuum leak. I can hear it but I've sprayed like everything on the intake manifold nothing bubbles, Moving/touching any of the lines does nothing. I'll just drive it like that I guess, Runs fine. I just need it as a daily anyways. What's the stock ecu for a 92 eg hatch d15b7? I'll throw a hondata s300 in it and load basemap, If I have the wrong one.