Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got my engine running...project Z6

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Got my engine running...project Z6

UPDATE-

I just dropped my tranny.....everything looks good as far as clutch, PP, flywheel, etc goes. Axles look good, everything. I will almost swear that it's my tranny....

here's some pics.... Help me diagnose what it is.

When I let of the clutch, whether in gear or N, it grinds when the clutch is out. Wheel don't spin but the speedo goes up....shift fork??? differential??? I'm clueless about trannies....help me out!!!!

I guess Spoons are good for something, eh...lol

Well....dropped in my engine this afternoon and got it running.....wooo is it nice. Revs quick and very responsive. It was pinging a slight bit up hill at WOT...nothing a little additive or airplane fuel can't fix...

Now the bad news....EVERYTHING was new on this engine.....bearings, gaskets, clutch, flywheel, timing belt, ported head, etc etc.....just waiting to find a good buy on a tranny....and my tranny BLEW!!!!

I was coming back home after a short 10 miles drive with my room mate, and as I shifted into second, I let off the clutch and POW....nothing. I shift into gear and all it is is grinding and my speedo goes up!!! I'm not really concerned about exactly what it is...but I know it's deffinately a tranny problem. Everything else seems great...except this.

The good news is that my bro found another 95 EX tranny with 50k miles on it for 70 bucks, and he's shipping it out Monday to me. Hopefully by the end of the week I can have it running.

I broke down about 5 blocks from my house...and towed it home with my room mate's Turbo ITR...lol. At least one of my engines is holding up...lol.

I'll have pics up in a few....

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=457659

Modified by Emerika at 9:55 PM 5/11/2003

Modified by Emerika at 12:25 AM 5/12/2003
Old 05-11-2003, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got my engine running...project Z6 (Emerika)

Ahh, that blows man. Put things together and gotta rip it apart again
Old 05-11-2003, 07:39 PM
JV
Who?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atleast it was only the tranny and not the motor.

Old 05-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: Got my engine running...project Z6 (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Atleast it was only the tranny and not the motor.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. I was a little concerned about the clearances and compression...although I did clay it. Seated in the rings, made sure all was good...took it for a cruise to start break in....and this.

All I can say now is....newer and better now

my tranny's been shot for almost 2 years now
Old 05-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn.....u holding down that single cam......why not just get a DOHC???
Old 05-11-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got my engine running...project Z6 (eg cookiemonster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg cookiemonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn.....u holding down that single cam......why not just get a DOHC???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because Emerika has SOHC ownage.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg cookiemonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn.....u holding down that single cam......why not just get a DOHC???</TD></TR></TABLE>

just read his other thread he made, and you will know why he doesn't need to spend all that money on a dohc. this thing will ride alot better then some dohc's and save him about a hundred pounds. and if he lowers the compression he could turbo this beast.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:05 PM

Just out of curiousity.. Did you check to make sure your axle didn't pop out of the tranny case? Sometimes if they aren't clicked in just right they will make a grinding noise and the car will not move.. Just a suggestion to save you sometime if thats what it might be.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn.....u holding down that single cam......why not just get a DOHC???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why buy a Honda instead of a Toyota?

It's all prefrence...And cost. He spent 1/4 of what someone would have on a DOHC counterpart. It'll be just as fast, it not quicker.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude don't even start that here. unless you know the specs of the project stfu. anyways, Emerika. DAMN you finally got it running!! im pretty psyked and i can only imaging how you must have felt. how many miles did you get on it before it blew? was it ten? how did it sound up till then?im def starting a z6 na project pretty soon, as i just remembered that there is a ZC in the local junkyard. quick question, with the ZC there is a SOHC and a DOHC model, the one i can get at is a DOHC, will those pistons fit into my engine (z6) or do i need the SOHC model? tnx and if possiable could you start it and send me a sound wave of it? i wanna hear that beast.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Got my engine running...project Z6 (tek_civic)

I think the ZC DOHC pistons are the same as the Integra ones he used. (A6)
Old 05-11-2003, 08:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude don't even start that here. unless you know the specs of the project stfu. anyways, Emerika. DAMN you finally got it running!! im pretty psyked and i can only imaging how you must have felt. how many miles did you get on it before it blew? was it ten? how did it sound up till then?im def starting a z6 na project pretty soon, as i just remembered that there is a ZC in the local junkyard. quick question, with the ZC there is a SOHC and a DOHC model, the one i can get at is a DOHC, will those pistons fit into my engine (z6) or do i need the SOHC model? tnx and if possiable could you start it and send me a sound wave of it? i wanna hear that beast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The pistons are out of the d16a1. 88-89 Integra
Old 05-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (nema741)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nema741 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just out of curiousity.. Did you check to make sure your axle didn't pop out of the tranny case? Sometimes if they aren't clicked in just right they will make a grinding noise and the car will not move.. Just a suggestion to save you sometime if thats what it might be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, but that's not it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn.....u holding down that single cam......why not just get a DOHC???</TD></TR></TABLE>

because the cost of this whole build won't exceed the price of a b16 tranny . Everybody around me is either built dohc or RWD cars...so I wanna keep it real. All I do with the car(besides daily driver), is autocross...so I just wanted a little more pep. Anytime I wanna drive a Honda with 370 whp, I can...lol. This is a cheap build which hopefully have a nice outcome
Old 05-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got my engine running...project Z6 (nema741)

i know, the PM7 and the P29 pistons are the same compression wise, but there are two types of ZC engines, one is DOHC and one is SOHC, i assume their pistons are the same, am i right? tnx
Old 05-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: Got my engine running...project Z6 (Mr. ThunderLips)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. ThunderLips &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the ZC DOHC pistons are the same as the Integra ones he used. (A6)</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually D16A1. From a 88-89 Integra Mike

Anybody want a short block with shot peened rods and new p29 pistons, bearings, gaskets, etc??? IM me and I'll build my spare block for you
Old 05-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know, the PM7 and the P29 pistons are the same compression wise, but there are two types of ZC engines, one is DOHC and one is SOHC, i assume their pistons are the same, am i right? tnx</TD></TR></TABLE>

ZC is actually a JDM engine code, which came in sohc and dohc format. All you need are the pistons from a D16A1, p29 pistons
Old 05-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude don't even start that here. unless you know the specs of the project stfu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about u STFU....i was just asking a simple question and ur bitch *** tells me to STFU??? it isnt ur car so why are u responding......i was just wondering why he doesnt wanna go dual cam so u shut the **** up
Old 05-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg cookiemonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How about u STFU....i was just asking a simple question and ur bitch *** tells me to STFU??? it isnt ur car so why are u responding......i was just wondering why he doesnt wanna go dual cam so u shut the **** up</TD></TR></TABLE>

because DOHC swaps are too easy.....that good enough????

And if I were to do a swap...it would be a B18C5 turbo setup...which would be more than my car is worth....I don't think so.

I'm a strong believe in "working with what you have". Why swap when I can have the same results as a B16 for a fracton of the cost???
Old 05-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was planning on building my d15xx (JDM one i bought my car with) but my brother had a B18C1 head in the garage to i built it and got a b18c1 block and Si tranny
Old 05-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can use the zc pistons though right? there aren't many used engines around here but there happens to be a DOHC zc, so its convenient for me. what car did the d16a1 engine come in? was it the later gen crx si? tnx

hehe defensive noobs
Old 05-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can use the zc pistons though right? there aren't many used engines around here but there happens to be a DOHC zc, so its convenient for me. what car did the d16a1 engine come in? was it the later gen crx si? tnx

hehe defensive noobs</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

the D16A1 was found in first gen Integras. CRX Si's had the D16A6 engine, which using those pistons will also bump compression...but not as much.

Is it a USDM engine or a JDm engine??? Check the engine code and see what it is
Old 05-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ZC im talking about is definently a zc so its jdm, im not sure if thats what you were asking. i know i was amazed when i saw the ZC stamp on there in a second gen( i think) integra, i mean i thought noone around here had a swap. maybe the engine is bad, would it be worth it to take that out and do something with it? i already got the TB as i thought it was a b18a at first until i got it off and noticed that its a ZC.

what do i need to do to get a zc(pm3) or a p29 piston onto a z6 rod? or do i have to upgrade to take the upped CR?
Old 05-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ZC im talking about is definently a zc so its jdm, im not sure if thats what you were asking. i know i was amazed when i saw the ZC stamp on there in a second gen( i think) integra, i mean i thought noone around here had a swap. maybe the engine is bad, would it be worth it to take that out and do something with it? i already got the TB as i thought it was a b18a at first until i got it off and noticed that its a ZC.

what do i need to do to get a zc(pm3) or a p29 piston onto a z6 rod? or do i have to upgrade to take the upped CR?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the p29 pistons pressed right onto my rods. The stock Z6 rods should be good for more than enough whp from an all motor z6 street setup. You could always use some LS rods though...which are a lot beef ier
Old 05-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Solbros Owns Me

I need some input here....

what does everything think is wrong????? I'm gonna crack open the tranny case tonight after school and I guess I'll go from there. Everything else looks good
Old 05-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need some input here....

what does everything think is wrong????? I'm gonna crack open the tranny case tonight after school and I guess I'll go from there. Everything else looks good </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you either:

1. Broke an axle completely and the anlged break is what is grinding
2. Broke the differential since the speedo still works, but your car sits still.

Your speedo gear is on your ring gear for the FD, so it's still spinning.

I think you broke an axle.

On a side note:

<FONT SIZE="3">Can we please try and keep this **** on topic and not a D vs. B thread please? The issue is not up for debating - he already built a D motor!</FONT>

Quick Reply: Got my engine running...project Z6