Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got into an accident today! (56k nah)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got into an accident today! (56k nah)

On my way to work this morning traffic on I-81 south bound by Scranton, PA was all conjested because of an oversized load. Unfortunately, the flow of cars came to a sudden stop. I tried to stop before rear-ending a '99 chrysler and managed to only tap his bumper (no big deal). Instantaneously I was slammed into from behind. I guess he was following pretty close. I can't really be mad at anyone, it just kind of sucks. I'm in my last semester of school and had some good plans for the car and the motor (b18b) if I scored a decent engineering job this summer. Hopefully it will all work out.

I guess the reason that it's in this forum is because I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not you think it will be totalled (you guys know your body work). I have had my share of accident and I'm pretty good at guesstimating the costs, but for the most part they were front end damage (deer). I'm hoping it wont be, but given the age of the car and the severity of the damage (see pics) I'm not sure if they will total it. Not shown in the pics is my driver's seat which is broken. I still works but doesn't like to recline up or down and makes some awful noises.

I need some thoughts on what to do if it is or isn't totalled (pull the engine and suspension). Thanks for your help and the good thing is I'm ok. Just needed to vent.

Last year pics (only changes since pics were back to stock headlights and snow tires):

Accident:

Notice the tailgate is WAAAAY off and the rear window has about an finger sized gap now
Also look around the Gas Door :

Side panel buckled (not good):

These gaps were NEVER there (not good again):

And last the small scrape in the front:

Drive safe,
G

Edit: the other car was a 1990 5.0 mustang. I didn't mention it earlier b/c I didn't want anyone getting all excited. He was a reasonable guy.

[Modified by g_man80, 4:16 PM 3/18/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (g_man80)

Wow. Bent frame = most likely totalled. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it depends on what kind of insurance you have. if you're using blue book value insurance, they're probably going to want and total it out. if you have agreed value insurance, you won't have to. either way, that kind of damage is hard to fix back to the way it was. you might be better off getting a new shell.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:25 AM

the side shot looks like it may have bent the frame.

[Modified by EB_kid, 12:26 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (EB_kid)

I feel ya, there are way too many ******** that tailgate on 81. Cigarette throwers too...makes me wanna pass them and lob a brick out the window
Old 03-07-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (EB_kid)

the side shot looks like it may have bent the frame.
[Modified by EB_kid, 12:26 PM 3/7/2003]
I know. At first I just saw the bumper. No big deal. Then the tailgate. Once I notice the sides buckled and the cargo cover is not lined up I started to think. That's why I wanted some opinions. I hope it works out. Two months to grad.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (WR93EG)

Kiss it good bye man. I've been through this 2 times now. (I 405 drivers in the Redmond/Bellevue area are all ******* asshats!)

The car is just not worth that much anymore according to KBB. The body shop would most likely have to cut the rear portion of the car off (not clip, but the rear bulkhead) and replace it with a new one. They wont rework a tweaked one. They would also have to cut the rear quarter panel off and weld in a new one. If the frame is tweaked, you dont want it back. New bumper, tail gate, bumper shock absorbers. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but its totalled. What you can do though... Most insurance companie's dont care about what parts you take off the car, as long as they get a complete car. I bought another engine for like $500 and swapped into mine before they were going to take the car. I also was offered to buy my car back for $550.

I know how you feel man. Not counting the loss in mods done to my car. I got to pay $1,000 out of pocket (what they gave me wasnt enough to pay off my loan) to have the privaledge of some uninsured bastard rear end me.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (Slurp56)

The damage doesn't look TOO bad. If your airbag didn't go off, there might be hope that it's not totaled. I think when airbags go off, unless the car is of significant value (Mercedes, BMW, etc...), they will total the car.

On a side note, if you are looking to sell your cargo cover I'll buy it off you (if its black)
Old 03-07-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (b16a ferio)

I got an extra black one in awesome condition. Make me an offer
Old 03-07-2003, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (b16a ferio)

Well, if it is totalled I'm not going to get much at all going by the KBB pricing. If it's totalled what's my best bet? Part is out and get something else (non-honda or whatever) or keep the parts and find a new shell. The problem is that I don't have any money to spare right now.
On a side note, if you are looking to sell your cargo cover I'll buy it off you (if its black)
Yup, it is black, and those things are in HIGH DEMAND . Your looking at a few bills to get it off me. j/k. But if I do decide to part it out I'll let everyone know.

G
Old 03-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o crazy, that suckz
Old 03-07-2003, 10:03 AM

Well its really up to you. You should ask yourself if you really want another Honda. IMO nothing beats their reliability and they are simple to work on, parts are relatively cheap. But if you are concerned with theft and vandelism, here is your opportunity to exit from the "scene" as they call it.

I purchased a new shell and swapped all my parts over. However my shell still isnt driving yet and not road legal yet either (body work is all thats left). its been since october

Good luck on whatever you decide. You might use your insurance money to just get a beater that will get you around for the next couple years until you land your engineering job. Thats what I did, 88 b16 CRX for $1,200
Old 03-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all up to the insurance company and the book value of your car! Bummer
Old 03-07-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (Caveman74)

Can you strip ur car, say you bought it that way and give it away? that is...all the extras..seats, door panels, etc,..etc..
Old 03-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sucks man, sorry for your loss. i hope your insurance co doesn't screw you over.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kiss it good bye man. I've been through this 2 times now. (I 405 drivers in the Redmond/Bellevue area are all ******* asshats!)

The car is just not worth that much anymore according to KBB. The body shop would most likely have to cut the rear portion of the car off (not clip, but the rear bulkhead) and replace it with a new one. They wont rework a tweaked one. They would also have to cut the rear quarter panel off and weld in a new one. If the frame is tweaked, you dont want it back. New bumper, tail gate, bumper shock absorbers. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but its totalled. What you can do though... Most insurance companie's dont care about what parts you take off the car, as long as they get a complete car. I bought another engine for like $500 and swapped into mine before they were going to take the car. I also was offered to buy my car back for $550.

I know how you feel man. Not counting the loss in mods done to my car. I got to pay $1,000 out of pocket (what they gave me wasnt enough to pay off my loan) to have the privaledge of some uninsured bastard rear end me.

yea, I live in washington too and the drivers are idiots! case proven at our meet! SLURP!! Ididnt know that happened to your car! holly **** man!
Old 03-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Banned

Default Re: Got into an accident today! (Peagreenhatch)

eeks. thought about gettin a new car? hehe... i think you should find a deal at DeNaples and continue the hotDmZ. oh yeah, i think there is gonna be a club meet the thursday after break. what are you gonna be drivin now? and did your pops get the audi?