Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got an EK

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an EK

Hi people. I currently own(ed) a K20/K24 FG2 (which I put back to stock) so after putting it back I got some extra cash to buy a daily... I really wanted an EG or EK so I was patient and finally got a Silver 1998 EK. I think I got it for a fair price but the main reason why I took that one was because it has a clean title and no body had messed with the cluster... There are some things however that I would like to have fixed.

The door locks and ignition are all different keys. This is very annoying! Probably a few people tried or broke into the car before... its a Honda... so now the car has 4 different keys (2 for engine, 2 for doors!) I don't think I want to carry 3-4 keys for the same car... I already have over 7 keys I have to carry for work, plus one of my motorcycle's key. I do not mind having a different key for just the engine... What do I have to do? Do I have to buy 2 new locks that share the same key? The back door also has its own lock...

My questions about this car are:

Will converting to power locks fix my problem? Or does anybody sell a set of locks that includes the ignition as well so I can have just 1 key?

The car is a daily driver and automatic... I am not looking to add anything for performance, just want it to be fully convenient... suggestions?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got an EK

Im pretty sure you can buy the entire vehicle's set of new key tumblers for all of the door locks from honda. Adding power locks will solve the problem of having to use different keys...but in the end you will still have different locks for each thing. Also, if you add power locks as a solution, you'll probably want to add one to the hatch as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These locks will help you have one set of keys for the doors, but you will have to have another key for the ignition.

http://www.lockworld.com/vandal.htm
Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those look good Triniboy. Anybody here has experience with those? I have a 98 it says there it works for 1992 to 1995 Civic. But I get the idea... would these work?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After some more research... i see that I can buy a car alarm with power door actuators as an alternative. Which one you guys recommend?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had key fob batteries die at the most inconvenient times... and you wouldn't be carrying a backup key obviously
Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could always remove your door locks and ethier rekey you can remove all the inserts small brass thing's with differant cut outs and numbers on them then it's just trail and error to figure out witch inserts you need they should all be raised up to the same level its hard to explain but once you figure out how it works its pretty easy and a couple spare lock for parts is good idea or take them to lock smith and have him rekey to the ignition key shouldn't cost that much
Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to a junker to find out if I can grab 2 locks and 1 ignition to have 1 single key. But if anybody knows about aftermarket locks for the EK though would be great. I like the idea about the vandal lock but it doesn't work for EK's I think
Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
you could always remove your door locks and ethier rekey you can remove all the inserts small brass thing's with differant cut outs and numbers on them then it's just trail and error to figure out witch inserts you need they should all be raised up to the same level its hard to explain but once you figure out how it works its pretty easy and a couple spare lock for parts is good idea or take them to lock smith and have him rekey to the ignition key shouldn't cost that much
Hmm so locksmith can rekey my whole car?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya they should be able to . the drivers door lock was siezed on my 96 when i got it and having to open the ps door are reach across to unlock it really sucked so i got another lock from a junk yard then i took them both apart just make sure you keep the order of the inserts right used a comb of parts from each and the new tumbler been working great for 6 months now and i'm no locksmith
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

power locks is a band aid, i also vote for a locksmith, friend had same issue i belive he went to a lock smith