Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got a dirt cheap 98 coupe, want to restore it like it deserves

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a dirt cheap 98 coupe, want to restore it like it deserves

$500 and this thing has seen better days. The fact of the matter is there is no quarter rust and we live in Canada. The worst of it is, the whole thing has been repainted by what looks like a mop. But that can be dealt with at another date.

If anybody can be of assistance, I have 2 major issues with this car.

1) We replaced the pads and the rotors, the master cylinder does't appear to be leaking, we bled one side at this point, the other side wouldn't **** anything out.. do you have to bleed both or is it ok as as a system? The damn brake pedal goes to the floor but it still brakes.,, barely

2) I HIGHLY doubt any relation but I was wiring the stereo properly with solder and shrink wrap, the whole thing was a mess, 2 wires from the left door were wired straight in between the deck and stock connector. Not only does the deck only work when positioned right (i mean the worst nightmare of any electrician you wiggle it around to work) but now the car wont start unless bump started.. turn the key and you can listen to the ignition relay go off.. but it was working before all these exposed wires were taped.. no fuses seem gone?

It started up every time until I fiddled around with the deck, I still stand behind the fact that if i messed up i would blow a radio fuse?.. screw the stereo why the hell won't this car start now... it did before no problem.. but you tell me? she bump starts no problem but we had the key turn does NOTHING.

Any help would be awesome..
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Got a dirt cheap 98 coupe, want to restore it like it deserves

1) Yes it is unsafe to drive without bleeding the system. The reason why it barely stops is because of air still being present. Air compresses so your pedal is going to the floor. Brake fluid does not compress so a properly bled system won't have the pedal going to the floor. Master cylinders can leak internally and no fluid will be seen outside of it. DO NOT dive your car until you figure this out. You are putting your life and the life of other drivers and pedestrians at risk.

2). What model Civic do you have? EX, LX? Do you have keyless entry remotes? On the 96-98 Civics with keyless entry, the security module was built into the factory radio. It would have been a black module on top of the factory radio and a green connector plugged into it. By installing a new radio you would have disconnected this module and likely caused this issue. The fix is getting a T harness the power up your old radio and power your new radio at the same time. You need to hide your factory radio in your dash or in the front of your center console behind the cup holders