Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

got a carbon fiber question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a carbon fiber question

idk how much tech this is, but i have a chance to buy a cf hood for dirt cheap but the problem is the outsides are painted yellow and the middle is cf, what could i do to get the yellow paint off the carbon fiber without messing up the cf hood?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got a carbon fiber question (akaEsCo01)

paint it to match your car
Old 04-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got a carbon fiber question (silverEH2)

I think the best bet would to be just buy a cf hood and not worry about that dirt cheap yellow one. Not worth the hastle.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:48 PM
rxse7n

I agree, paint it to match your car. The function of one is to reduce weight, not to be jdm blingin yo.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: (rxse7n)

did you think about painting over the yellow outsides to match your car color? it looks good on some cars iv'e seen.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdog1277)

paint thiner, and buff it out after u get all the paint off
Old 04-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Crank)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crank &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">paint thiner, and buff it out after u get all the paint off</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, painting it to match my car is not an option. i want it to match my carbon fiber lip...one more question, afterthe paint thinner and buffing will i need to get it clear coated again?

Modified by akaEsCo01 at 2:51 AM 4/21/2004
Old 04-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, need this info by tomorrow
Old 04-21-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (akaEsCo01)/Carbon fibre

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT sand that **** without taking no-kidding precautions to protect yourself against airborne particles. Loose bits of c/f are like tiny porcupine quills, they get stuck in your skin, your nose, your eyes, your lungs, all over the place, and don't come out. So, unless you like coughing, take care of yourself, i.e. ventilation, respirator (with the right cartridge), disposable gloves/coveralls, eye protection, good cleanup, etc. If you want to clean the stuff up, get a HEPA vacuum and dispose of the bag when you're done. Acrylic floor wax (Future etc) can be used to fix the loose fibres in place too. If you think I'm full of it, I'll tell you that I'm in the Air Force, and the F-18s I maintain have all kinds of this stuff. Also, loose carbon fibres conduct electricity, so if you are going to mess with this stuff, use air tools unless you really like sparks & fire. So you all know - you can work with this stuff safely, but take care of yourselves. It ain't worth it not to. Cheerz.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey where in nj r u located got ne extra parts?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (akaEsCo01)/Carbon fibre (Hornet_Loader)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hornet_Loader &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT sand that **** without taking no-kidding precautions to protect yourself against airborne particles. Loose bits of c/f are like tiny porcupine quills, they get stuck in your skin, your nose, your eyes, your lungs, all over the place, and don't come out. So, unless you like coughing, take care of yourself, i.e. ventilation, respirator (with the right cartridge), disposable gloves/coveralls, eye protection, good cleanup, etc. If you want to clean the stuff up, get a HEPA vacuum and dispose of the bag when you're done. Acrylic floor wax (Future etc) can be used to fix the loose fibres in place too. If you think I'm full of it, I'll tell you that I'm in the Air Force, and the F-18s I maintain have all kinds of this stuff. Also, loose carbon fibres conduct electricity, so if you are going to mess with this stuff, use air tools unless you really like sparks & fire. So you all know - you can work with this stuff safely, but take care of yourselves. It ain't worth it not to. Cheerz.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok let me be an *** right quick. Beep Beep Now! WTF, WTF, WTF are you talking about. Who cares about that ****, its obvious that he will use some type of protection of some sort. Such a waste of post you just did!! Ok I'm done.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iluvGiRls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iluvGiRls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok let me be an *** right quick. Beep Beep Now! WTF, WTF, WTF are you talking about. Who cares about that ****, its obvious that he will use some type of protection of some sort. Such a waste of post you just did!! Ok I'm done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No more of a wasted post than yours. Atleast his gave some advice. Moron
Old 04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (ih8danoles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ih8danoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No more of a wasted post than yours. Atleast his gave some advice. Moron</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I didn't find my post as a waste. If I did I wouldn't have done it. Anyways the un-needed Biograhpy wasn't neccessary.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:58 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (Crank)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crank &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">paint thiner, and buff it out after u get all the paint off</TD></TR></TABLE>NOOOOO!!! No paint thinner, you will strip the gelcoat right off of the CF. This is what I would do. Get some bodywork sandpaper (320, 400, 600, 800, 1200 and beyond if locally available) and go from there. Slowly work your way up to the highest grit you can get your hands on then buff it out. Paint thinner will eat right through that top coat and may eventually loosen the "weave". Or you could just paint it to match your vehicle... Good Luck and HAPPY TUNING!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akaEsCo01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">idk how much tech this is, but i have a chance to buy a cf hood for dirt cheap but the problem is the outsides are painted yellow and the middle is cf, what could i do to get the yellow paint off the carbon fiber without messing up the cf hood?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's going to be tough. Most likely, when you get the paint off using whatever chemicals or technique that you choose, it's going to have to be re-shot with a clear coat to make it look new again. May not be worth it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rxse7n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree, paint it to match your car. The function of one is to reduce weight, not to be jdm blingin yo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Weird, I didn't see anything typed about "JDM" at all.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:09 AM
rxse7n

That is weird, because I didnt say anything was typed. All I said is carbon fiber parts are meant to reduce weight, not just to look "cool." That is why I suggested painting it, but alas, he wants it to match his carbon fiber lip...my point exactly. Paint them both, problem solved. Back to the point of this post. It may not be such a good deal afterall, if you do not plan on painting the whole hood. It is very difficult to get paint off of cf without messing up the cf's coat underneath the paint, and even the fibers themselves.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: got a carbon fiber question (silverEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silverEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">paint it to match your car </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I'm doing eventually.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:17 AM

wet sand with consecutively higher grit then buff.
works like a charm
Old 04-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hornet_Loader &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT sand that **** without taking no-kidding precautions to protect yourself against airborne particles. Loose bits of c/f are like tiny porcupine quills, they get stuck in your skin, your nose, your eyes, your lungs, all over the place, and don't come out. So, unless you like coughing, take care of yourself, i.e. ventilation, respirator (with the right cartridge), disposable gloves/coveralls, eye protection, good cleanup, etc. If you want to clean the stuff up, get a HEPA vacuum and dispose of the bag when you're done. Acrylic floor wax (Future etc) can be used to fix the loose fibres in place too. If you think I'm full of it, I'll tell you that I'm in the Air Force, and the F-18s I maintain have all kinds of this stuff. Also, loose carbon fibres conduct electricity, so if you are going to mess with this stuff, use air tools unless you really like sparks & fire. So you all know - you can work with this stuff safely, but take care of yourselves. It ain't worth it not to. Cheerz.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Noboday said anything about sanding it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NOOOOO!!! No paint thinner, you will strip the gelcoat right off of the CF. This is what I would do. Get some bodywork sandpaper (320, 400, 600, 800, 1200 and beyond if locally available) and go from there. Slowly work your way up to the highest grit you can get your hands on then buff it out. Paint thinner will eat right through that top coat and may eventually loosen the "weave". Or you could just paint it to match your vehicle... Good Luck and HAPPY TUNING!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't think sanding it will take the gel coat off?

I think no matter what you do to take the paint off the top coat- gel coat- UV protectant coat will have to be reaplied. i'm not sure how much that would cost but after stripping what ever method you choose, and then a recoat it is probly going to cost just as much as a new one.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: The Burbs of NYC, where you can park your car on the street & they wont steal it NY

wet sand it with 1500 and buff it out
Old 04-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: got a carbon fiber question (deemack79)

if you sand down to the carbon fiber it is ruined there will always be scratches in it if you hit the weave guess what your either painting it, getting a new one, or living w/ ugly *** scratches. It isn't worth chancing buy a new one don't be a cheap bastard
Old 04-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rxse7n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rxse7n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is weird, because I didnt say anything was typed. All I said is carbon fiber parts are meant to reduce weight, not just to look "cool." </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, no, you typed out "not to be JDM blingin yo."
Old 04-23-2004, 02:28 PM

how much is "dirt cheap", cause (depending on that) it sounds like it would be worth it to pay for a new one instead of taking the chance and ruining that one. just my 0.02
Devin
Old 04-23-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: got a carbon fiber question (IEATLINT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IEATLINT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much is "dirt cheap", cause (depending on that) it sounds like it would be worth it to pay for a new one instead of taking the chance and ruining that one. just my 0.02
Devin</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got a carbon fiber question (Daniel_san)

i vote for buying a whole new one, unless dirt cheap really is dirt cheap.

Quick Reply: got a carbon fiber question