Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
TRIAL USER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right

Hello everybody. Been doing a lot of searching but I wasn't able to find an answer. I have a 98 civic ex stock and the car pulls to the right. This is noticeable as I have driven other people's car and they don't have the issue. The tires were pressured, balanced, rotated and still it pulls to the right. Any answers? It seems like the alignment did nothing at all.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (finalclassic81)

control arm bushings? maybe..
Old 12-23-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (finalclassic81)

i think you should rotate left to right......and if not that .maybe your camber if bad ......that can cause pull
Old 12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have coilovers?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by finalclassic81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have a 98 civic ex stock and the car pulls to the right. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe he said it is stock...
Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (wicked_b16eg)

I believe he did then.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it doesnt seem like that did a thing, might want to try another, unless your feel any vibrations or hearing odd noises, its probably not bushing, maybe improper adjustments by the shop.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM

bro your right brake caliper piston may not be fully releasing pressure. if that is what is happening it will cause your car to pull to one side depending on what caliper it is. to correct it either rebuild it or just replace it. let me know if that helps you
Old 12-23-2007, 05:17 PM
TRIAL USER

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (z6hatchboy)

nope, i don't have any coilovers. I'm fairly novice when it comes to cars, and figured that an alignment would fix the pull, but it didn't/ ...would i be able to take it into a shop and have them look at it for free? i'm far away from the city that did my alignment so i can't go to them until a couple of weeks after the holidays are over.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id dont think much comes for free now a days, but tank8588 has a great answer i think, sorry i missed the stock part of your info.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (tank8588)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tank8588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bro your right brake caliper piston may not be fully releasing pressure. if that is what is happening it will cause your car to pull to one side depending on what caliper it is. to correct it either rebuild it or just replace it. let me know if that helps you </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1 ON THIS
I totally agree with tank on this one.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by finalclassic81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope, i don't have any coilovers. I'm fairly novice when it comes to cars, and figured that an alignment would fix the pull, but it didn't/ ...would i be able to take it into a shop and have them look at it for free? i'm far away from the city that did my alignment so i can't go to them until a couple of weeks after the holidays are over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have a print out of the alignment specs? Sometimes they screw up.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (B serious)

Might have a bad tire. Rotate the tires and see if it helps.
I had a little truck that had that problem. It was strange.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (D50boy)

my best bet is the tire/rim. rotate them and see if it helps.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (winkwitstyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by winkwitstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my best bet is the tire/rim. rotate them and see if it helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D50boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might have a bad tire. Rotate the tires and see if it helps.
I had a little truck that had that problem. It was strange.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by finalclassic81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello everybody. Been doing a lot of searching but I wasn't able to find an answer. I have a 98 civic ex stock and the car pulls to the right. This is noticeable as I have driven other people's car and they don't have the issue. The tires were pressured, balanced, rotated and still it pulls to the right. Any answers? It seems like the alignment did nothing at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this Issue it was wierd I couldn't find it until I put my skunk2 lower control arms the driverside had a slight bend in it enough that it would gentle to the left and drive me nuts

A shop knows the only thing you can adjust on a stock honda is the toe-in and out so they never check the rear

I know it's wierd but my car had it when I bought it

I imagine it's not hard to bend it, in the snow slide in to a curb or something
Old 12-23-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: (BWek)

it could be a blown shock.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: (BWek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BWek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had this Issue it was wierd I couldn't find it until I put my skunk2 lower control arms the driverside had a slight bend in it enough that it would gentle to the left and drive me nuts

A shop knows the only thing you can adjust on a stock honda is the toe-in and out so they never check the rear

I know it's wierd but my car had it when I bought it

I imagine it's not hard to bend it, in the snow slide in to a curb or something</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rear toe is adjustable.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (winkwitstyle)

I'd like to see specs of the alignment, The only thing that you can adjust on a Honda from the factory is front and rear Toe. Many techs who align Hondas will tell you that they hate doing rear toe so much sometimes they skip it all together. I've seen many cars with seized rear toe adjustment bushings and it completely destroys the toe setting of the rear end of the car from being adjusting in/out whatsoever. Once the bolt freezes to the bushing it needs to be replaced to re-adjust anything in the rear of the car.

What causes vehicles to pull:
- Improper Air pressure (Not that, you had it done...check it anyway)
- Radial Tire pull (You had a rotation, but were they also rotated right to left?)
- Brake caliper not releasing (Highly unlikely, Honda calipers rarely go bad)
- Improper alignment procedures used (It's possible, I've seen it done)
- Bad Bushings/Bent Front LCA causing an Over-Caster alignment situation
- Aligned with steering wheel crooked (Rare, but does happen)
- Aligned with bad Tie-rods, causing adjustments to be Un-Trued.

Does the vehicle pull with your hands OFF the wheel? Or are you holding the wheel straight and it's pulling?

For me to tell you anything more, I would need the alignment specs. I Align anywhere from 6-10+ cars a day...I know all the alignment tricks, especially with any Honda.

-Froth
Old 12-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yup check your tires. one might be worn out more than the other. that can cause the pull. rotate your FRONT tires and see if it starts to pull to the other side. If it does, then it's your tires.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: (yoej8)

It's possible that the camber is out. There are no factory adjustments for camber on a civic. This would explain why the alignment didn't do you any good. This is probably a dumb question since I doubt anyone just does a front end alignment anymore, but if the rear toe is out it will pull. There are some places that will do a free suspension eval. Sears is one that comes to mind. They should print off the specs for what it should be and what it actually is.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hplssone)

Bad wheel bearing???
Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you find any solution???
Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (aries331)

happen to me too, car was pulling to right , i got an alignment (didnt help), later found out all i needed was new tires
Old 01-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Default Re: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right (MoreBoost!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MoreBoost! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">happen to me too, car was pulling to right , i got an alignment (didnt help), later found out all i needed was new tires</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you should get your alignment checked again. If your old tires were worn weird, then the alignment is probably not correct. Your tires have to have a even tread to be able to do an alignment. That's why you should get an alignment after getting new tires.

Quick Reply: got alignment done, but car still pulls to the right