Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gorilla or Zenki Lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla or Zenki Lugs?

Why would Zenki lugs be any better than Gorilla ones? The gorilla ones are slightly more heavy, have a specific wheel lock, come in black, and are half the price.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs? (lowrightor)

just get the Zenki lug nuts. they're great
Old 12-23-2003, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs? (myhatchrips)

Sure they're a little lighter, but instead of "they're great," I'd really like someone to tell me why the extra money is worth getting wheels without a wheel key lock.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them, they are great. I dont even care about wheel locks, to many ways to get around them anyways. They arent that much more expensive, $55 shipped at http://www.dragracing.com
Old 12-23-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs? (1 point 6)

Cool. Thanks for the link.

I know there are ways around wheel locks (although I don't know the specifics, anyone?), but isn't any protection better than the hex key Zenki gives you or am I way off. Why else are the Zenkis more expensive: weight? quality?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Down Since Day 1

Well the key they give you is just a 19mm socket, good quality though.
They are realllllly light everytime I have someone over and they pick up the lugs they freak out. Ive had 7 sets of wheel on and off my car probably 100 times in the last couple of months and the lugs hold up great.

Im going to buy another set just so I have a extra set just incase I cant find these anymore.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:32 AM

I'm sold on the weight for sure, I'm more concerned with people stealing them. If someone could honestly tell me that wheel locks don't do anything I would get the Zenkis.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:37 PM

Wow, there are so many posts on this board that my lame topic went flying down the list. My post on AF from a week ago is still there on the front page.

I'm not convinced to get the Zenkis yet and I want to black lug nuts that don't look horrible on my white slipstreams. I have chrome gorillas on there now.

Don't flame the white. Everyone's got their own preferences.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:52 PM

imo i wouldnt get the gorillas, i had them and because they are open faced mine kinda got rusty and were a bit** to get off and put back on because the key donst want to fit on the lug nut when they get rusty. i know because when i had a flat i couldnt get the key in a few of the nuts and couldnt get the tire off. i mean they can be lubed and work good for awhile but it will happen continusly.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs? (SLOAZZ94)

They make open-faced ones with keys? I have ones now where you put the key OVER the lug nut to turn it. Open-faced means you put the key inside it?

DOes anyone know if wheel locks are truly doing anything?
Old 12-23-2003, 12:59 PM

Open face is for when you use longer wheel studs for slicks.
I dont understand why everyone is worried about the weight of lug nuts. Sure it reduces rotational mass, but will 1-2 lbs really make a difference? I think the Honda crowd is getting too **** about stuff like this.
I have closed Gorilla lugs, and they work like a charm. I am WAY more concerned about theft protection than a trivial amount of weight on my rims.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs? (Rydaddy)

I don't know the numbers, but lowering rotational mass does make a difference. I don't think the weight difference between Gorilla and Zenki lugs are really going to make THAT much difference, but I think people spend their money in WAY worse ways on their cars.

<cough> Altezzas! <cough> Damn flu season.

Going from having 19.6 to 13.5 pound rims, now THAT made a difference you can feel.

I just want lockable (if it's going to help at all) black lug nuts and no one has sold me on the Zenkis yet.

"Here, hold my nuts, aren't they light?"
[freaking out] "Wow, they ARE light! That is awesome!"
Old 12-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Down Since Day 1

Default Re: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs? (Rydaddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rydaddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Open face is for when you use longer wheel studs for slicks.
I dont understand why everyone is worried about the weight of lug nuts. Sure it reduces rotational mass, but will 1-2 lbs really make a difference? I think the Honda crowd is getting too **** about stuff like this.
I have closed Gorilla lugs, and they work like a charm. I am WAY more concerned about theft protection than a trivial amount of weight on my rims.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not save weight when you can, if youre buying lugs anyways might as well get them. I got light rims, might as well not throw heavy lugs on them.

With locking lugs all people do is cut a socket end to have a "castle" affect and hammer it into the lug nut and pry it off.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:15 PM

Ahhhh...real information. Thank you 1 point 6. So you think wheel locks are worthless or a somehwat worthwhile deterrant?

I know I'm stretching here, but does anyone have the weight difference between Zenki and Gorilla lug nuts? Doing the rotational mass math, what does this really mean in terms of weight savings?
Old 12-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my black Gorilla lug nuts. I've never had a problem with stripping of the key or the finish coming off of the lugs. I've had them 2 years and have taken them on and off multiple times and never had a problem. Plus the price is great. They are only $20-25 from JC Whitney. I give them a .
Old 12-23-2003, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs? (EJ1)

I just called Gorilla and started talking over this guy's head so he transferred me to the "National Sales Rep." I started asking him about weight vs. security and he said that he has never heard of Zenki and had no clue that less weight on lugs nuts was important to anybody.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:06 PM

So which stick out farther?
Old 12-23-2003, 02:26 PM

i have had both and in my opinion i like the zenki ones better and if you get the long ones unless the have a deep socket they cant steal them, even with the gorilla ones keys can be bought anywhere, so i say get the zenki's look up under current sponser market place to see that mr.heeltotoe is selling them or just go to http://www.heeltoeauto.com
Old 12-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Down Since Day 1

Default Re: (b16eghatch)

Ive had about 20 sets of aftermarket rims and 5 OEM pairs I have never used a wheel locks, never really seen the point when keys can be made and lugs can be snapped off.

Thats funny the gorilla rep didnt know people wanted light weight lugs, id buy zenki on that point. I want a company who designs products for customers needs.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1 point 6)

I can take a **** and lose more weight than buying "lightweight" lug nuts. If you are buying lug nuts in order to lighten your car, you have problems.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Down Since Day 1

Default Re: (EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can take a **** and lose more weight than buying "lightweight" lug nuts. If you are buying lug nuts in order to lighten your car, you have problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi, welcome to the post. Read it.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1 point 6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 point 6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hi, welcome to the post. Read it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I did. He is concerned about weight of the lug nuts.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:54 PM

I guarantee the gorrilla's deter some criminals from stealing your wheels. So you decide...
Old 12-23-2003, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Sepulcher)

just got my set of zenki lugs-valve stems....on the car now....seem very nice...lighter than the rays racing lugs that cost 125 bucks....

you decide....3 sets for the price of one!
Old 12-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just got my set of zenki lugs-valve stems....on the car now....seem very nice...lighter than the rays racing lugs that cost 125 bucks....

you decide....3 sets for the price of one!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do you have any pics? Are they open-ended?

Quick Reply: Gorilla or Zenki Lugs?