Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GOODD threw a rod. from 89 octane gas ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 05:45 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOODD threw a rod. from 89 octane gas ?

alright. The other day i put a hole in my block on a jdm b16 that i got from good ol stever at HMO. didnt make it through the first oil change. I put 93 octane gas in it, then suddenly, good ol dad absolutely REAMS me about how its wrong to not use 87 cause every motor ever, apprently even a lamborghini, uses 87 and 93 is useless, even though he doesn understand compression. So, after days of arguing i tell him im at least going to put 89 in it. (yes, this is gay i should have just got 93 anyways, but family problems = not honda tech) several weeks later. I get my piston out and the massive amounts of rod pieces and cylinder wall pieces and give it to him and say 'thanks'

a) is it not true that you need to use 93 in a b16a with 10.5 compression
b) the car wasnt abused, the oil wasnt old, and it only lasted like 3000 miles under excellent driving conditions. It was dry, no chance of water in my car. it was pinging for a w while and then just got louder and louder and then boom. thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: GOODD threw a rod. from 89 octane gas ? (daklown)

It depends how old the motor was.
When I have my turbo legacy, I ran 87 in it all the time.
It could have caused detonation at high rpms, but with 4 few octane, would that cause major damage?
I don't think so but that is just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

it was like 30k miles, and it was run on 93 and up before the gay-ty 9
Old 01-19-2004, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daklown)

Sorry man, they say to use premium feul only for a reason. It even says it on the guages of the SI...

And you can show your dad this: Higher compression motors have a tendency to detonate earlier in the compression cycle. Higher octane gas has a resistance to detonation. You DO need higher octane gas in a higher compression motor. Heck, I have a 9.4cr in my boosted D series motor, and still run 93 because of the extra work that the turbo puts on the motor.

Still, even with one batch of 89, that should'nt have lead to your motor crapping out on you. Don't HMmotors have a warranty or anything?? 3k isnt very far at all.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:10 AM

cars need tuned
If your car is run too lean you can have huge problems. Sorry too hear about your loss. I'm sure your engine had other factors which lead to blowing up. Sometimes things just break for no reason. You can do everything in your power prevent it, but it just happens.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:12 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

only thing done to it is an intake. and it was several tanks of 89. like, at least 5
Old 01-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only thing done to it is an intake. and it was several tanks of 89. like, at least 5</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just curious, but why did you continue to put 89 in it?? Did you hear any detonation and how did the rod go??
Old 01-19-2004, 06:32 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

at the time i had no job or money for gas, so dad was being dad on me for not having job, but im working NOW.

i remember thinking that i needed to get my valves adjusted cause they were chattering.

turns out it wasnt.

one day it was more noticeable, but i figured it was my exhaust cause it has one bolt on the cat.

next day on way to school it was louder. then after school it was like a machine gun. then it broke down and smoked. Then i got it towed home for 50$.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:21 AM
H-T Poker champion

this is why you should know or find out why your car is making certain sounds. if you thought you needed a valve adjustment(which isnt hard to do yourself) and the car started making "pinging" noises(aka: your motor is going to explode if you don't do something) you should have stopped driving it.

Was this caused simply from putting 89 octane in your car? probably not. it was probably due to many things, but the gas probably didnt help the problem. Obviously if your engine was clicking or making pinging noises then you needed to do AT LEAST a valve adjustment or check the timing and compression. If you don't know how to do these things then you should have taken the car to a shop or found someone who could do them. Instead of having someone check your car for like 50 bucs you just blew up your engine.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well in any case you can blame it on your dad and tell him it was because he said no 93

get this new block from down the rd and then take it in for a check up - a total checkup
Old 01-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

yep. thats the plan.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put 93 octane gas in it, then suddenly, good ol dad absolutely REAMS me about how its wrong to not use 87 cause every motor ever, apprently even a lamborghini, uses 87 and 93 is useless, even though he doesn understand compression.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

91 octane at least is required by the manufacturer.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking at your other post and saw the pics that sucks but rods don't bend because of just pinging.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quik1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quik1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking at your other post and saw the pics that sucks but rods don't bend because of just pinging.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They could at WOT or under heavy load. Likely there would be other signs though (i.e. melted plugs, melted pistons, damage rings, burnt valves).
Old 01-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Was this caused simply from putting 89 octane in your car? probably not. it was probably due to many things, but the gas probably didnt help the problem. Obviously if your engine was clicking or making pinging noises then you needed to do AT LEAST a valve adjustment or check the timing and compression. If you don't know how to do these things then you should have taken the car to a shop or found someone who could do them. Instead of having someone check your car for like 50 bucs you just blew up your engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

-It's most likely the gas did not cause you to throw that rod.
-You said, "I thought it was the exhaust or valves bleh." A good tip in taking care of your pride and joy is...If you hear any sounds that are not normal, stop what you're doing and figure out what it is. Don't assume that it's some minor bug that can be fixed "tomorrow." It is, after all, your pride and joy, right?
-If you don't have the experience to recognize abnormal sounds, then doing some homework wouldn't hurt. -AND- well...this shattered rod will be a learning experience for you. I guess you can try to look at it that way if it's any consolation. What would any import tuner be if after 15 years in the 'game,' they can still say, "I've never had any major engine problems." That'd be kind of lame... So I suppose you can just try to look at your situation as a knowledge-gained type of thing. Hey, to capitalize on the whole thing...You can try rebuilding yourself a new motor. (DIY)

-Yeah, your motor should be fed no less than 91. I don't know WTF your dad was talking about.
-The same thing happened to my friend's B16. The #1 rod snapped and came out of the casing. He already knew his compression was high in the cylinder, but he put off correcting it ... . He threw his rod and didn't make it past the break-in period.
-Maybe the rods were just..old?
Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: (R_EG)

the pinging noise could have been a bearing going out. If a pistion seases or a bearing seazes it'll bend the rod. I don't think 87 octane would do that kind of damage to your engine. IMO Tear the motor down and see whath's up

jesse
Old 01-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (misledyouth_is_back)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by misledyouth_is_back &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the pinging noise could have been a bearing going out. If a pistion seases or a bearing seazes it'll bend the rod. I don't think 87 octane would do that kind of damage to your engine. IMO Tear the motor down and see whath's up

jesse</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently he did tear it down already. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=738656
Old 01-19-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: (misledyouth_is_back)

I looked at the pics in your other thread and agree.

It was probably a bad bearing. Running 87 for that long on 10+ compression will not do that.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:58 AM
AIRBORNE

Default Re: (gumtape_deathmatch)

I ran 89 in my b16a2 a few times, with no problems. The ECU will compensate for the lower octane, but your car won't run as well. Now i only use 92 Octane from Chevron.

On my car, on the inside of the gas door, it even says "For use with Premium gasoline only. *Please see owners manual"
Old 01-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Odiedogcx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gumtape_deathmatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I looked at the pics in your other thread and agree.

It was probably a bad bearing. Running 87 for that long on 10+ compression will not do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Totally agree that it looks like a bad rod bearing look at the color of the bottom of the rod where it broke, it's been heating up for a while!! That really sucks...