Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Good professional input needed

Old 01-30-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good professional input needed

Hello everyone! +++Caution Long Post :D+++

Im new to your forums and will be checking them out daily from now on. Reason?!...well I bought a 93 Honda Civic DX couple months ago for 1500 bux. I was planning on using it for a while until I got enough cash for an STI. HOwever the other day I got into thinking. I really like the car that I drive now, since its also the first car that I ever bought (was driving my sisters car for a long time). Anyhow I guess your first car is like a fist girlfriend...you know...

Now I want to be honest with you all, Im a 19 year old guy from Germany that lives in the states now that doesnt know much about cars that would like to learn by doing. Im the type of person that WILL figure it out. Ive chenged radiators, starters and do fluid changes all the time. I know that may be pathetic to what alot of you can do. However, I dont want to speak to highly of myself, Iam pretty good with technical things. I enjoy taking things apart to see how they work. I got ALOT of patience and like I said I WILL make it work lol. Nuff blabbering...

Another 2 months of working and I should have 3.5 to $4000 saved up. Is it worth to revive my ride? Currently its got 167,000 miles down with lots of body work needed. The car runs decently fine (I want more frikn juice though :D). Now I read up about cars alot on the net and try to suck up as much info on "how to" as I can. If I was going to go through with my project it would all (or mostly) be done by myself, since I take pride in stuff that I accomplish. If im not wrong I should have a 1.5 liter D15B7 engine. The car seems to be STOCK. SHould I swap the engine for something more powerfull? Anyway this is what I had envisioned for the car to be...
replace seats on the inside with racing seats
replace carpeting with new one or perhaps something else thats sekcx :D
Short throw shifter

Perhaps replace the engine with a B series (something that will fit in my car without the need to make custom mounts etc (would a vtec be the way to go?)

I definetly want a turbo system :D Something that spools up rather fast for a good boost throughout the rpm range)

Other common upgrades seem to be larger injectors/new fuel pump/ignition thingy (lol. are those made by MSD?)/ cat back exhaust/uppipe/downpipe/new manifolds/suspension upgrades...and of course the intake :D

Im also planning on respraying the car to a nice black tone and adding new rims (nothing pricy) and some nice bumbers. To put the car into perspective "looks" wise, I guess what I had invisioned was soemthing close to the hondas used to Hijack those trucks form Fast and the FUrious.

How realistic is what Im thinking with the budget that I have? PLease dont mistake this post with some dood that just talks the talk...Iam very serious about this since this is finally my chance to learn by doing, about cars. I will highly appreciate all feedback that helps me get from A to B. Again thnx for the input ahead of time.
laters
Old 01-30-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Good professional input needed (termi)

You'll want to check out the following threads as your questions are pretty general for what you have planned for your car.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=642479

Please read through those and you will learn a great deal.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Good professional input needed (poison)

thnx for the links. I have read through some of those stickies. They explain alot of the technical things if I had a clear plan. I dont have a plan yet :D thats why im posting to see if I should even do an engine swap or if this car is even worth the blood sweat and tears. Also will my budget cut it? What parts are a must? Like I said Iam very new to the "scene" :D I simply need something of a picture of what is needed you know?!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Good professional input needed (termi)

if i were you i would drop a jdm b16a in there and turbocharge it. thats what i did, and before i did this i have never done a swap or turboed anything. i just saved up for the summer and went at it. as for the body work i would keep it as stock as possible.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Good professional input needed (tallyturbo)

thnx for your input. Did you first swap go rather smoothly? For tools I would need toruque wrench/ motor crane or whatever their are called/sockets mayby some screwdrivers and thats it?

Oh and for the exterior; Im not looking to make it "rice" When i mentioned bumbers I just want something that looks better and perhaps helps out the intercooler. I also want new wheels since the ones that are on right now are looking worse then hub caps :D But the exterior isnt my main concern. I want a strong car, once thats dont Ill see what to add on the outside if anything at all. I know that Im going to attempt a paintjob :D
Old 01-30-2006, 10:15 PM

i would just do a mini-me (put a vtec head) on your block and turbocharge that...then it will still leave you money to do all that other stuff you wanted to do