Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Good Price for CTR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Price for CTR?

My homie has a friend thats selling a replica CTR. It's orginally a 96 hb dx with a JDM b18c, a/c, power steering, power windows, red recaro seats, 5 lug conversion, CW paint and 99-00 Si gauge cluster. Well the thing is this car has a salvage title. It had some front end damage but was later fixed. It now has a 99-00 Civic front end. He's selling the car for 14k. I wanted to know if this is worth buying? My homie told me that the car has one of my most cleanest swaps and body work he's ever seen. With the salvage title, will my insurance rates be effected at all? Thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2001, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (motion)

uh haha which ctr look alike is this one? haha theres two rollin in that area, a 99 lookin one that had itr everyhting, seats engine etc.. then si doors, windows mirrors power stering rack ac all the junk, mr maxpsi rob owned them both i know fo sure. but id mos def buy the damn thing since ive seen them both first hand. 14 seems very good to me.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the salvage title, will my insurance rates be effected at all? Thanks in advance
I can tell you two things. 1st is that building a "replica" CTR is going to be very expensive. 2nd is the fact that the damage on the hatchback your friend is selling may be more major than he described it to be...sure he replaced the front end, but what about the frame? suspension? It had to have enough damage for the insurance company to write it off as a total loss. So make sure you know the extent of that damage.

Regarding the insurance rate...it can go either way. I had an old 91 Prelude which had a salvage title, my insurance co. at the time quoted me a higher rate than normal. Why? They claim it's because "The car is more of a danger on the road because of the salvage title, so we have to account for that."

Then I switched to a different insurance co. Only then, the rates was super low! I was suprised at the difference (and this is a better insurance co. than the previous one). They said it was so low because the value of the car is lowered according to the title.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, there was one for sale on ebay from around your area like a month or 2 ago. It had red recaros, and 99 front bumper as well, and the title was a salvaged one. Could this be this be the same one? The one on ebay had a tv in it. It might have been removed.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (ITR 2K)

Thanks for the info. I haven't check out the car yet but I've been told I have nothing to worry about. For the body work, what are some stuff I should check for? I'm going to take a look at it soon and find out some more history about the car.

Hey, there was one for sale on ebay from around your area like a month or 2 ago. It had red recaros, and 99 front bumper as well, and the title was a salvaged one. Could this be this be the same one? The one on ebay had a tv in it. It might have been removed.
Yea I think that might be the one. It has a tv in the custom center console right where the cup holders should be.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If youre getting a loan for 14, check the bank, most wont finance a salvage title.

Demian
Old 12-12-2001, 05:26 AM
New User

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (killingtime)

Hopefully it is a "good" car, and is in reasonable shape, but forget the CTR label - it is NOT even a replica with that engine. It is a hybrid, pure and simple and nothing wrong with that but just to get that square.

Another thing is that if you know how our cars our built, you will realize that replacing a front clip is no big deal, but that is not how the car is structured, nor does it have a "frame" - it has a unibody which means what used to be a frame in cars a long time ago is molded into one basic unit. That means with impacts/crashes it tends to fold up like an accordion. It also is why you see some cars going down the road a little sideways like a crab.

Other than taking measurments, you can check how well the car tracks down the road: with good tire pressures (even all around), and balanced wheels & alignment, does it pull to one side or another on either a flat road, or on the middle or crown of the road.

If you don't care now, you may later in terms of wear & tear on the car itself & tires, etc.If the car was totalled & salvage title then chances are the impact was pretty bad, so what you are seeing is cosmetic repair since it is almost impossible to repair a unibody with a big front/rear or side impact.

Not to run on but you should carefully check out all door jams, door motions, & welds if you know where to look as well as evidence of paint mismatch, etc. There is a lot more, but these are some of the basics....
Old 12-12-2001, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (Red Civic T)

This CTR clone has no frame problems it was hit in the front and the car was checked at American Auto body for structure damages.. its a 96 dx soo the insurace decided to consider it a total instead of fixing it.. soo my friend bought this car back.

The Clone has a Complete ChampionShip White paint job/ 5lug conversion/ Very Clean ITR engine swap keeping the Cold *** AC/ PS ect ect.. it has a few bolts on's like headers intake exhaust/ im thinking fuel rail ect too

the interior is wrapped in all ITR front seats rear seats 2000 civic SI PW/PL CompuStar alarm ect.

the exterior consist of a 99 complete front end with lip/ 5 lug conversion jdm wing i think

supspension has a full NEx coil over setup

And yes to build a CTR clone is very expensive i have one myself with a full cwest kit.

this car has the cleanest swap ive seen for a long time keeping the AC PS is very impressive.

the asking price is 15,000 without the Kenwood Touchscreen tv

the reason this car isnt sold yet is becuz not many banks will give a 15,000 dollar loan for a salvage 96 hatchback dx.
insurance for this kind of car is dirt cheap

Old 12-12-2001, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (GoQkRaCeR)

haha damn Triet your on this board too?

Well anyways my 00 Si was stolen from me a couple months ago and I just recently received my insurance money. It's more than enough to buy the car right off the bat but I want to research more about the car before I put my money into it u know? It sounds like a bad *** car and man I can't wait to see it!!

[Modified by motion, 10:13 AM 12/12/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I think that might be the one. It has a tv in the custom center console right where the cup holders should be.
Yup, that's the exact same one that was on Ebay. It does look badass. When I saw the pics of it on Ebay, it had a TV. It also had the Gunmetal rims on there, but it said that it would be sold with the CW ones.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

woohooo strike one up. its erics friend ben triet
Old 12-12-2001, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Price for CTR?

I think I just found my next car
Old 12-12-2001, 05:10 PM
New User

Not to clown, but I still do not see how motor and suspension are there to make it CTR. Also, to total a car like that it would gen be assumed that to fix the damage would be more than car was worth - so they are saying that it was more than 5k worth of damage?That is a lot more than the hood and a couple of quarter panels.

Still say you need to drive that thing or take measurements to specific points and check against a like car...But not my money, and I do hear you that the look is right!
Old 12-12-2001, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to clown, but I still do not see how motor and suspension are there to make it CTR. Also, to total a car like that it would gen be assumed that to fix the damage would be more than car was worth - so they are saying that it was more than 5k worth of damage?That is a lot more than the hood and a couple of quarter panels.

Still say you need to drive that thing or take measurements to specific points and check against a like car...But not my money, and I do hear you that the look is right!
What in the hell are you trying to say? I don't understand you.

To also total a car, is to get it stolen, and recovered with nothing in it.

Old 12-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't tell them you want a loan for a car, just say you want to borrow 14 G's.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be sure to check out everything. If something doesn't look right to me then I'll keep my money. OK it isn't a CTR but it sure looks like one. I was told it comes with LSD and a bunch of other Type R goodies. Is it a crime to say it's a CTR replica?
Old 12-12-2001, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it a crime to say it's a CTR replica?
HOW DARE YOU!!! LOL Good Luk with your possible purchase. If I were you, I would.. just to play it safe.. Get one of those Lemon Doctors. They take measurments of everything, and check things pretty thoroughly.

One time I was thinking of buying a heavily repaired vehicle and I had one of them guys come look at it. He measured from the center of the 2 wheels on both sides of the car and the measurements were way off. Meaning, it would never drive straight.

Frame damage is serious and so is spending 14K so just cover your ***. I'm sure you will anyway.

Good Luck.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:19 AM
New User

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (SIINSI)

Endless: what the hell am I saying?

What are you saying, I mean that was plain English.As he says above, you can not just be taken in by what something looks like. Dude said car had been CRASHED, not stolen and so 5k+ is substantial damage.

Prob not reading this but if you realize how modern cars are constructed, the unibody is the basic steel stamping of the shape of the car to which are hung the hood & doors & 1/4 panels. No frame!

So when there is a hit of any sort other than a mile one, the unibody creases and folds up a little bit like an accordian. This can be covered up to a degree by new 1/4 panels and body kits and fancy paint because they distract you from the basic structural changes to the unibody.

Really none of that matters if the car is just for looks, and to be sure, girls not gonna notice if the net wheelbase to one side of the car is 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than the other. If you drive it hard it might be important, but dep. on what you buying it for.

Not bragging, but I will drive the G4 Lex for looks, drive the stink out of the Honda for fun. Just think what 14k in performance parts would get you under the hood!
Old 12-13-2001, 09:21 AM
l

i dont think its worth it..

doesnt even have CTR cluster -=Z
Old 12-13-2001, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (SIINSI)

Is it a crime to say it's a CTR replica?

HOW DARE YOU!!! LOL Good Luk with your possible purchase. If I were you, I would.. just to play it safe.. Get one of those Lemon Doctors. They take measurments of everything, and check things pretty thoroughly.

One time I was thinking of buying a heavily repaired vehicle and I had one of them guys come look at it. He measured from the center of the 2 wheels on both sides of the car and the measurements were way off. Meaning, it would never drive straight.

Frame damage is serious and so is spending 14K so just cover your ***. I'm sure you will anyway.

Good Luck.
Lemon Doctors? Where can I get a hold of those guys?
Old 12-13-2001, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is not a CTR.. its just a replica..
lets add all this up
Chapionship white inside and outside even the engine bay
$4000
supsension $1400
Wheels and 5 lug conversion $1500
Complete ITR swap without labor 5,500
ITR complete interior front and rear seats $1500
with 99 SI dash doors PW PL $1500
carbon fiber hood $500
exhaust intake headers ect...
alot more i cant remeber bout this car.. ive seen this car soo has a few other guys on this website the car is really clean and nice.. ive drove it and it drives like a champ!

anyways i dont know how good any of u guys are... if u do ur own work or not.. but labor cost and arm and a leg

labor added too all of this cost ALOT ALOT ALOT!!

he buys it he buys it..he he doesnt good luck wiht somthing else..

if it was me..ill buy a bmw 330 and be happy.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (GoQkRaCeR)

Wouldn't buy it for more than 12k period!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:21 PM
EK9
New User

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (Spade)

It's going to be a damn race to buy this car.. I tell ya..

1 2 3.... GO!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Price for CTR? (EK9)

I would pass on it bro. Who knows how long its gonna last. Build your own hybrid. You'll appreciate it more.

It has a salvage title..... When and if you ever decide to sell it, you will have to deal with all the hesitation and doubts all over again.