Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick???

i have a 93 honda civic, auto. I wanted to convert it to a manuel so i can do a b-16 motor swap. What kind of problems will i encounter and will it be a good idea???
Old 06-10-2004, 05:56 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (dailygirl)

Well you might as well convert it to manual when you go for a swap because you will need to cut the auto tranny mount off and weld on a 5spd one. So I would just do it along with the swap if you are not staying D.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (ABK)

after the transmission conversion, what kind of problems would i have to worry about and would it be major?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Electrician

Not really have any problems after that if everything is installed properly and you have all th hardware needed. Tranny, manual ECU, mounts, clutch fluid resevoir, clutch lines (from master cylinder to slave cylinder on tranny), pedal assembly, etc...
Old 06-10-2004, 06:30 PM

i had a auto civic ex and like Mr. ABK said.. you have to cut the auto tranny mounts off and weld 5spd tranny mounts on there.. you also need to go the junk yard and get you new pedals and the "shift gear holster" <<have no idea wut its really called... besides that i think thats it...
Old 06-10-2004, 07:18 PM
a

hassport makes a mount so u dont have to but or weld antyhing

all u need is shift linkage

new axles

master cyliner for the clutch pedal and slave cylinder and the hard lines

and pedals

cluster and ecu

verry easy

no problems to worry about after its done just go to a junkyard. and look a stick shift car and take everything from that

Old 06-10-2004, 08:03 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16coupe4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16coupe4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hassport makes a mount so u dont have to but or weld antyhing
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but did you read what he said? He said that later on he wants to put in a B series in there. I don't think hasport made a mount for a B series that would go into auto civic, so I think you will need to weld a manual mount to it.

After that it's pretty much a piece of cake.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (dailygirl)

if u do convert to a stick more power to ya.... i have a friend in the process of and hes having a hard time finding parts..
Old 06-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (SleepyCx)

its definitely possible. its stressful, but the only problem i know of is that when you put it in reverse, your reverse lights dont light up...musta been a personal experience wiring problem
Old 06-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: (BradsJDMGSR)

BradsJDMGSR&gt; how long have you had your conversion and did you encounter in problems??
Old 06-11-2004, 12:09 PM
New User

Place racing makes the mount you're looking for. I have one in my 95 coupe.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys suck! i did the auto to manual conversion, plus a b16a swap in my
EG coupe all in one night!!!

LAMERS!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (SkRiBLaH)

SkRiBLaH&gt; have you raced your car on the track? if so, what was your fastest time?
Old 06-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um if you want to switch to manuel just for the swap then you should just buy a B-series motor with auto tranny. it will be a little cheaper then the manuel one and i think the b-18c1 is offered in the auto tranny
Old 06-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah but did you read what he said? He said that later on he wants to put in a B series in there. I don't think hasport made a mount for a B series that would go into auto civic, so I think you will need to weld a manual mount to it.

After that it's pretty much a piece of cake.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HCP makes a mount for B-series trasn in a Auto EG.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (SkRiBLaH)

bullshit....i want proof. thats a lot of work for one day.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:34 PM
amy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dailygirl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SkRiBLaH&gt; have you raced your car on the track? if so, what was your fastest time?</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you doing the swap also for track purposes? cause if so i would suggest doing the manual swap as opposed to finding a motor with an auto tranny

also its an alright idea as long as the person who is doing the auto to manual swap knows what they are doing ...
Old 06-13-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (amy del sol)

stick yo
Old 06-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you like to know everything you need to do an auto to manual coversion along with wiring and such..just pm's or so and i can direct you into doing so..already done it and my buddy done it to his 97 ex coupe and been driving it without issue.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:06 AM

Its a great idea to convert auto to manual. youl like it better than your auto.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick??? (CivicSmkYa21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSmkYa21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bullshit....i want proof. thats a lot of work for one day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bullshit? no thats not that much work! all you do is rip out all the automatic **** (shifter cable, pedals) and then just bolt in the 5 speed ****... its soooo not hard at all.

wireing is a peice of cake; connect the two fat wires together, then connect the green/black with the black wire, and then just swap in the engine and bolt up linkage, clutch lines, master cyl. and thats basically it.

my grandma could have done it with her arm behind her back, while making me a sandwitch.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:20 AM

i converted my 93 dx auto to a b18c1 5 speed the problems were, tranny mount, pedals, shift linkage, u have to drill two holes to support the shift linkage, and for sure the brake pedal i had to cut mine (changed it later)
Old 06-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crzymine03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzymine03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i converted my 93 dx auto to a b18c1 5 speed the problems were, tranny mount, pedals, shift linkage, u have to drill two holes to support the shift linkage, and for sure the brake pedal i had to cut mine (changed it later)</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh see, this does require SOME thinking ahead... heres what i did

tranny mount- went to http://www.jdmshit.com and got the EG-AT mount. $130
pedals - its as simple as unbolting the AT and bolting up the 5speed pedals
shift linkage - yea you drill 2 holes and then put the bolts through the holes and put the little nuts on teh bolts and that holds the linkage there! weeeee!

if drilling 2 holes, bolting and unbolting stuff, and buying a $130 mount is too much, then you should log out now.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bullshit? no thats not that much work! all you do is rip out all the automatic **** (shifter cable, pedals) and then just bolt in the 5 speed ****... its soooo not hard at all.

wireing is a peice of cake; connect the two fat wires together, then connect the green/black with the black wire, and then just swap in the engine and bolt up linkage, clutch lines, master cyl. and thats basically it.

my grandma could have done it with her arm behind her back, while making me a sandwitch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is true.....ive done the auto to manual swap in 2 cars that I have owned....
Very easy IF you have everthing you need.....One night for a tranny swap and b16 IS doable...i did it in a 91 4 door civic in my driveway on my back with hand
tools, in three hours i was test driving

As long as you do everything right you should not have any problems, bsame as if it was from the dealer
Old 06-17-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Re: (SkRiBLaH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
... then you should log out now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

or just click here for a faster solution

Quick Reply: is it a good idea to change your transmission from auto to stick???