Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Good DIY mechanic on Long Island? (suffolk county near Stony Brook...need ball joints and timing bel

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good DIY mechanic on Long Island? (suffolk county near Stony Brook...need ball joints and timing bel

Hi,
I live up in New Paltz but I'm gonna be on Long Island for the next month and I need to get front lower ball joints (I think just the boots) and the timing belt/water pump/alternator belt replaced. I can buy the parts but have no tools/lift/skill and I also don't want to pay for that many hours of labor at a shop.

I think I found someone near New Paltz to do the stuff, so the timing belt can wait until late Jan when I get back up here (94,xxx mi), but I def need to do the ball joint repair before that and would prefer to get it all done at once if there is anyone on LI who is a good DIY mechanic and has tools and space to work on it (also should get a valve adjustment while I'm at it). I will be there while you work too so I can help out in any ways I can. If you can do that anytime between Dec 20th and Jan 18th let me know (tyrub@aol.com and IM name is also tyrub). Thanks a lot!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good DIY mechanic on Long Island? (suffolk county near Stony Brook...need ball joints and timing

http://www.dan-gsr-motorsports.com/

Give him a call.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good DIY mechanic on Long Island? (suffolk county near Stony Brook...need ball joints and timing

Thanks so much for the reply! Any idea what town he is located in and what hi slabor rate is?

Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Give him a call and find out
Old 12-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never used them but i heard nrg tech is good, they are from suffolk, idk exactly where tho
Old 12-08-2004, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any Idea what nrg tech's contact info is? I googled it but all I got was ad's for energy bars with the same name.

THanks
Old 12-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

their website is http://www.nrgtechracing.com on it their phone number is (631) 243-6NRG (6674)

Old 12-08-2004, 08:45 AM

I lived on Long Island for 2 years and never really had any work done their. The labor rates are usually much higher than upstate. If you are still in New Paltz, I know of a few really good guys in that area. I grew up and currently live 20 mins. from there. Are you a student at New Paltz? Do you know CHris with the Miata 10AE?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man I am def down for getting this done upstate if you know of any good DIY mechanics up here. IM me or somethin: TYRUB. Only thing is that if he can do the ball joints, it has to be sometime between this saturday and the saturday after, because apparently it isnt too safe to drive around when you need em, so I wouldnt want to wair until I go back in late january. Everything else can wait until then. Oh and yeah, I'm a student up here but I dont know anyone with a miata. Anyway thanks so much for the posts, everyone, keep em comin'. Also, if anyone knows someone in New Paltz area (anywhere between Poughleepsie/Wappengers falls and Newburgh) that is a good DIY mechanic, post that too.

P.S.-by DIY I just mean someone who has tools, knows what they are doing and doesn't charge a lot for labor (up here is 60/hr from my "local" shop). For 60 an hour, I would just go to Fishkill Tire in Fishkill; they've been my shop for about a year now and they are the most straight up, honest, professional ppl. up here. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone that needs work done. I just don't have that kind of money right now so I'm hoping I can find someone to do it cheap. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:10 AM

Sorry, I don't really know of anybody who does that anymore. I'm too damn busy to work on my own cars lately. I've got to change the oil on my wife's Spec V and my Civic on Sunday and the Civic is gonna have to wait for new shocks and springs. The two shops I know are not that expensive but they are pretty much booled until January 1st. Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be more helpfull.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks a lot everyone. I'm thinkin I am going to go with Dan gsr. He seems really cool and gave me a decent price. Anyone ever get anything done from him or feel like vouchin for him?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:59 PM

I don't know Dan GSR personally but I think I have autocrossed against him. I do know a few of his guys in the pics on his site and their cars and they are all super cool and super nice. Damn fast too. Except for Spencers Civic. It only has 76 HP but he can still drive rings around me and most of the STS class regulars in the tri-state region.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet, yeah he seems like a really cool guy...I guess it is decided then, I'll get the work done from him when I get home.

...oh by the way this is off topic, but a buddy of mine was just lookin for an accord b-pipe cuz his had a hole in it and he couldnt pass inspection...I couldn't find a cheap *** stock one but then I found this one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT ...He hasn't got it yet but it is all stainless and looks good enough for that price. It isn't a DIY job either its by some company called topspeed. I told the guy that I would drop his email cuz I've never seen better prices than that; it's Teamchase1@aol.com. He said hes got exhaust stuff for just about every honda so hit him up. If I knew about him when I got my ExMag back in Sept, I would have probably just bought the Exmag muffler and mated it to that piping. Just thought I thorw it out there in case anyone was about to pay a lot more for the same piping. I think he has cheap full exhausts too...but get the exmag muffler (love that thing).
Old 12-13-2004, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey if anyone knows <U>dan gsr,</U> please ask him to get back to me. He gave me a good price on repairs, but I just want to confirm a date for them before I order the parts. Also I am going to have to drive 350 miles (unexpected) at some point between christmas and new years and gotta get that work done before (at least the ball joints) so that I don't...well ya know, die. I emailed and IMed him a few times, but haven't got a reply. Also if anyone has a phone number that would be best, so we don't have to keep playing email tag. Oh and Dan gsr if you read this, you can also IM me at TYRUB...if i have an away message up just IM me your phone number and a good time to call.

Thanks guys
Old 12-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nevermind, I got in touch with him