Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Good, cheap street tire for Canadian climate

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good, cheap street tire for Canadian climate

Hey all. I did do a search but because tires needs can be pretty specific, I didn't really find what I was looking for. You guys seem to be able to give good, honest info about just about everything including boring stuff like all-season tires.

I'm going to need to replace my 185/65R14 originals pretty soon (I've been swichting to winter tires which is why I still have the originals) and I can't afford to spend a lot. I'd like to get something that handles and brakes well, especially in the rain. I should probably get all-season tires instead of dedicated summer tires because the spring and fall weather is really unpredictable where I live (it snows in June from time to time) but I might be able to get a really good deal on some Kumho 711/712s

Here are my options please give opinions/preferred brands;
1)get 15 steelies to reduce sidewall and help handling. I'd use 195/55R15 all seasons
2)same but might as well get the Kumhos or other dedicated summer tire
3)stay with 14in steelies to save a few bucks and get good 195/60R14 all season tires

Many thanks

Greg

sorry for the long post. I won't bump this so if you want it do die, just don't respond
Old 04-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good, cheap street tire for Canadian climate (Horatio)

get some azens but you wont be able to run then in the snow
Old 04-12-2004, 09:24 AM

I live in Kinston On, and although it's not Calgary, we have some pretty unpredictable weather as well. I have Kumho 712's for the summer and snow tires for the winter. I change over to the snow tires early as a precaution. In early October the winters go on, that way you get the best handleing in winter and summer, there's just two weeks wear your riding on winters as a precaution. as long as you change early enough, there's no real downfall to having winter and summer tires, especially since you already have winters rubber.

P.S. my Kumho's are better in the rain than any all season I've ever had, not kidding, there awesome in the rain.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good, cheap street tire for Canadian climate (sombasol)

Hey cool! Someone from Kingston; my wife's parents live there so I'm out there every Christmas. Nice city. I believe you about the rain characeristics being better than an all-season; I think they can design tires like that because they only have to worry about channelling water, not gripping mud or snow. It would be hard to make one of those /\ pattern tires grip in that situation, I think.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I should've mentioned that the main reason for the all-season idea is that my wife drives this car frequently and I don't want to put her in a weather related situation because of my own personal..uh....preferences (problems? ) I don't mind trying to get home on summer tires just for the sake of adventure...

Greg
Old 04-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, you're from Cowtown too?
Well, I don't know if Bridgestone Potenza's fit your criteria, but they sell them at Costco for a hundred ten bucks for fourteens.
Weather's been awesome lately, but I can totally understand why you'd get tires for dry and wet conditions......wait five minutes and the weather can change.....

Let me know if you've found a good, cheap tire
Old 04-12-2004, 01:01 PM

http://www.1010tires.com/tire....2D512
can get these for 89.99 Canadian, there in Vancouver, so shipping shouldn't be that bad, rated very high by users for over-all conditions. here's a link to there Ultra high, and high performance all season pages...

http://www.1010tires.com/tires...mance

http://www.1010tires.com/tires...mance
Old 04-12-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked my Yoko avid H4's they did a good job in the light winter conditions. awesome rain tire too
Old 04-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Good, cheap street tire for Canadian climate (sombasol)

Check out this place....its right near Toronto. And they have amazing prices.
I was quoted 375 ($Can) for 4 Azenis mounted and balanced. Thats 85 bucks CANADIAN a tire.

http://www.speedstarsauto.com
Old 04-13-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good, cheap street tire for Canadian climate (Cee_mon)

Great replies all, thanks for that.

Yup, I'm in Cowtown. I think there are a couple of people on here from our city. I was curious about Costco but I've heard that you have to buy 4 tires at a time and that they're frequently discontinued lines so there might be a problem later on if you need to replace a tire. They also don't have as much shoice on sizing.

Thanks for the links all. There's a place here in Calgary that has some good prices too so now I have lots of options.

For "light winter conditions"; how much snow stuck around? When I think about it, I may be able to get away with tires that have really good wet traction because there's usually enough heat in the ground by this time to turn most freak snow storms to slush and muck. That's probably wishful thinking though

Still thinking......

Greg
Old 04-13-2004, 05:58 AM
bdb

If your in Canada and plan to drive your car year round, I'd say you'd have to get a summer set and winter set. I use Toyo T1S's (~$120/each from tiretrends.com) on my '94 Civic hatch in the summer and Pirelli Winter 210's (~$100/each from tiretrends.com) in the winter.