Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

good brake/rotor setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good brake/rotor setup?

I am looking ofr a good brake and rotor setup for the eg.. I was just going to get slotted/cross-drilled rotors and axxis pads..

Good? Are there better options for the stock setup? This is a daily driver, but i do like to 'sport' around, so a more top-end pad would be best
Old 10-08-2004, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't look so much into rotors as I would pads. If you search, you'll find that there are several good pad choices that should suit your needs. Also, are you running disks all the way around, or have you got drums in the back? If you've got drums, you may want to consider a disk conversion.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 PM
New User

Default Re: (Kendall)

Hawk pads or Axxis pads + Brembo blanks = win!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have drums in back,

My front left rotor is warped so i kinda NEED to replace them, i figured why not get slotted/cross drilled while im at it?

As for the rear yup, i got drums, but heard the rear drisc brake conversion was more form over function... as in the rear disc dont add that much stopping power.?

Can anyone suggest some good street/sport pads? Are there any street/sport shoes (for the drums)
Old 10-08-2004, 10:30 PM

Default Re: good brake/rotor setup? (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking ofr a good brake and rotor setup for the eg.. I was just going to get slotted/cross-drilled rotors and axxis pads..

Good? Are there better options for the stock setup? This is a daily driver, but i do like to 'sport' around, so a more top-end pad would be best
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you planning to go to the track at all?

I would recommend Brembo Blanks and some decent Pads like Hawks HPS Street Pads or Hawks HP Plus High Performance Pads.

Brembo Blakes = OEM Brembo Non Slotted/Non Cross Drilled Rotors

I have the Hawks +, these Pads stop on a dime, they're the best pads I ever had.

Now here's the warning, Hawks + Pads dust a **** load and sqeek alot, I mean Squeeeeek. I cannot see my Gold rims after 2 days of driving, completely full of dust.

They perform alot better when they're warmed up, they're perfect for hard street and light track use.

If you really want to go hard core than I recommend Hawks Blues Pads, if thought the + were bad, try doing a search regarding the Blues.

Good Luck
Old 10-08-2004, 10:32 PM
New User

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can anyone suggest some good street/sport pads? </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.0 EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hawk pads or Axxis pads + Brembo blanks = win!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any good sport pads that dont produce a shitton of dust?

What about shoes?

Seems like everyone agrees the brembo blanks are top notch...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:34 PM

Drilled rotors have a bad history of cracking after extended use. I'd go slotted before drilled in a heartbeat, but even so, odds are you won't be driving hard enough to justify either. Plus blanks are a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any good sport pads that dont produce a shitton of dust?

What about shoes?

Seems like everyone agrees the brembo blanks are top notch...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you want high performance Pads, you'll get lots of dust.

That 's the price you would pay for better stopping power.

For shoes, just get OEM Honda, they'll do just fine.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:38 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any good sport pads that dont produce a shitton of dust?

What about shoes?

Seems like everyone agrees the brembo blanks are top notch...</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive heard that AEM pads dont dust that much,..and i think EBC green dont dust that much either,..i wouldnt worry to much about the drum shoes (i mean yes replace them but i wouldnt go searching for some sport shoes or whatever),...and yes i think for street use, blanks are the way to go
Old 10-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ther are no performance ceramic pads? damn

Will putting new shoes in aid stopping? How hard is it to put them in, my car has 210K mi
Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 PM

Default Re: (2.0 EK)

Don't get EBC Green, do a search, they're many threads out there that state these are crap.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ther are no performance ceramic pads? damn

Will putting new shoes in aid stopping? How hard is it to put them in, my car has 210K mi </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know about you but 99% of the time i use my ebrake is when im parked,..so if your ebrake is working fine now,..dont worry about the shoes for awhile,..and putting on new shoes isnt hard at all
Old 10-08-2004, 10:42 PM
New User

Default Re: (jmk2888)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmk2888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't get EBC Green, do a search, they're many threads out there that state these are crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i personally wouldnt get them,..but he asked for a pad that doesnt dust alot and those from what i hear dont dust as much as other brands,...i like to stick to my hawk pads
Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ther are no performance ceramic pads? damn

Will putting new shoes in aid stopping? How hard is it to put them in, my car has 210K mi </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, that alot of miles w/o changing your shoes?

I had to change all my brakes last 2 week ago so I order from http://www.tirerack.com for 2 Brembo Blanks, a set of Hawks HP Plus, and went to my local Honda Dealer and got some new shoes. I installed them and flush out the Brake Fluids with Motul RBF 600 Syn Fluids. Now I can stop on a dime anytime I want.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.0 EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i personally wouldnt get them,..but he asked for a pad that doesnt dust alot and those from what i hear dont dust as much as other brands,...i like to stick to my hawk pads </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAWKS are one of the best

By the way, how often do you change you rotors with Hawks Pads, I heard it's like 2 sets of Pads for 1 rotor?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:47 PM

I would also suggest SS brake lines....
brembo blanks and PBR/Axxis pads.. =oh yeah!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah so it sounds like new shoes, axxis/hawk pads and brembo blanks thanks!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah so it sounds like new shoes, axxis/hawk pads and brembo blanks thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad we can help.

Good Luck....
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 PM
New User

Default Re: (jmk2888)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmk2888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HAWKS are one of the best

By the way, how often do you change you rotors with Hawks Pads, I heard it's like 2 sets of Pads for 1 rotor?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

after 2 sets of pads per each rotor, i have my rotors turned (because i can turn em for free) then i after i turned them that one time, i replace them all together
Old 10-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drilled rotors have a bad history of cracking after extended use. I'd go slotted before drilled in a heartbeat, but even so, odds are you won't be driving hard enough to justify either. Plus blanks are a hell of a lot cheaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have often heard the same about slotted. I have heard that lots of times the companies put the slots in after they have been cast...making the rotor prone to cracking sooner.

and i concur with everyones suggestions about Hawk pads...my buddy has an ITR that is a track ***** and he swears by hawk pads...but man his White 5-lug ITRs are shot, soo much brake dust.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:53 PM
New User

Default Re: (b18bEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would also suggest SS brake lines....
brembo blanks and PBR/Axxis pads.. =oh yeah!</TD></TR></TABLE>

the brake response with SS brake lines is the **** ,...i was really suprised when i switched up my brake lines to SS lines a few years back
Old 10-08-2004, 10:55 PM
New User

Default Re: (CivicSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have often heard the same about slotted. I have heard that lots of times the companies put the slots in after they have been cast...making the rotor prone to cracking sooner.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

when rotors are drilled/slotted, its taking mass away from the rotor which makes the rotor weaker,..thats why drilled/slotted rotors are easier to warp than blanks
Old 10-08-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: (CivicSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have often heard the same about slotted. I have heard that lots of times the companies put the slots in after they have been cast...making the rotor prone to cracking sooner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are indeed correct, however on average most slotted rotors will outlast the same model drilled rotors all other factors being the same.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.0 EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the brake response with SS brake lines is the **** ,...i was really suprised when i switched up my brake lines to SS lines a few years back </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow those arent too expensive either, i may get some of the too. I will need to bleed the brakes to install them right?

Can anyone recommend a place to get some brembo blanks online?

Quick Reply: good brake/rotor setup?