Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GOOD BOLT ONS FOR THE MONEY

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOOD BOLT ONS FOR THE MONEY

I HAVE A D15B VTEC WITH P08 ECU WAS WONDERING WHAT THE BEST BOLT ONS WOULD BE WITH OUT SACRIFICING RELIABILITY I HAVE INTAKE EXHAUST AND HEADERS JUST BOUGHT A THROTTLE BODIE SPACER
Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOOD BOLT ONS FOR THE MONEY

WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS A MILD CAM OR ANY THING ELSE LIKE INJECTORS FUEL RAIL ETC.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

intake manifold and bigger throttle body, if you have the money bisimoto has good cams for the d15b. my friend wound up boosting his and made 197 at the wheels on 8lbs on a dynapak and that dyno reads around 20 to 30 hp low
Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for your motor stock injectors are plenty. the fuel rail wont really add anything
Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard Bisimoto makes a good camshaft for D series. Also, some larger RC injectors followed by some sort of engine management would be a must. Fuel rail isn't necessary.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah with the cam some slightly bigger injectors and a good tune would gain you some
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really want serious power, bolt ons arent going to cut it. It will be a waste of money.

the only way to make numbers on a d15 is to boost it, or spray it.

Spray would be the cheap version where u have power on demand, and still retain MPG's.

Cam would net you 10-15 hp and after chipping and tuning, it wouldnt be worth the effort for the $$ invested.

fuel rails are for cars pushing 450+
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smileydub
I HAVE A D15B VTEC WITH P08 ECU WAS WONDERING WHAT THE BEST BOLT ONS WOULD BE WITH OUT SACRIFICING RELIABILITY I HAVE INTAKE EXHAUST AND HEADERS JUST BOUGHT A THROTTLE BODIE SPACER
You just wasted your money on that throttlebody spacer. You already have your "bolt-on" parts, so I guess you could say what other parts would be best. I'd get a stage one or two max cam, along with springs and retainers, and maybe a edelbrock intake or skunk2. A B series throttlebody would be a good size to fit on either one of those manifolds. -Later, BR
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo...if you build it right, it can be reliable.
Injectors aren't necessary unless you go boost or turbo. The same 240cc injectors are used on everything from the D15B8 to the B18C1 and B20Z and there's still a little room for growth...
If you want power, you're going to have to put a bigger motor in or boost. Anything else is just a waste of time, you just won't get what you want...which is why so many people just go boost, including me.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Cam gear and a camshaft, maybe a heat shielding intake gasket, swapping out to higher quality lubricants...

Things like that will give you power but it wont be monsterous amounts! If you are interested in one of our camshafts, shoot me an email I will work up a package for ya!

Cheers
-Randy
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

(OP, please turn off the all caps)
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D-series don't really respond well to bolt-ons. I'd go with a low boost turbo setup and change the camshaft. You'll always get better bang for your buck with forced induction.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost, bigger cam is not needed for stock motor...i have a d16y8 built bottom end and i'm still using the stock cam although im out of it's power making range now

don't waste your money uselessly trying to build an N/A dseries especially a 1.5, don't get me wrong it can be done but it takes lots of money to build any N/A motor

Bisi is probably the best at building N/A single cams particularly the Fseries single cams, though he has a beastly turbo z6
Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a cam is not worth it with such low compression the d series motors have. to take advangaes of a cam u need high compression.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm stating a cam in the sense of changing the intake/exhaust phase and decreasing duration and increasing lift to compensate... that is if he wants to get all crazy with it.

Boosted engines don't like as much valve overlap. Also, if he is boosting, his dynamic compression ratio will rise. After all, you are compressing compressed air.

Some of the overall weaknesses (low compression, smaller valves, smaller intake/exhaust ports) of D-series engines actually help make it a simple engine to turbo.
The only issue is that the only way to change intake/exhaust phase on them is to get a different cam because the intake lobes and the exhaust lobes are on the same camshaft.

If you just want a bit of power (say, less than 200 WHP as a random figure) it really doesn't matter. However, if you want to squeeze even more out of it, they make custom turbo cams.

In any case, a decent simple turbo D-series is going to be faster than pretty much N/A stock Honda 4 cyl. However, turbo a different Honda family of engine and the story is reversed.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
I'm stating a cam in the sense of changing the intake/exhaust phase and decreasing duration and increasing lift to compensate... that is if he wants to get all crazy with it.

Boosted engines don't like as much valve overlap. Also, if he is boosting, his dynamic compression ratio will rise. After all, you are compressing compressed air.

Some of the overall weaknesses (low compression, smaller valves, smaller intake/exhaust ports) of D-series engines actually help make it a simple engine to turbo.
The only issue is that the only way to change intake/exhaust phase on them is to get a different cam because the intake lobes and the exhaust lobes are on the same camshaft.

If you just want a bit of power (say, less than 200 WHP as a random figure) it really doesn't matter. However, if you want to squeeze even more out of it, they make custom turbo cams.

In any case, a decent simple turbo D-series is going to be faster than pretty much N/A stock Honda 4 cyl. However, turbo a different Honda family of engine and the story is reversed.
good info, though stock cams are good for more than 200whp, i made 254whp on a mustang dyno so that interprets to about 280whp on a dynojet

also agree about turbo dseries being faster except when turboing a bseries or kseries.....those engines may make way more power but in many cases a lower horsepowered car with beat up on something with monster power that is unless you are a goon that likes driving around on the street with 25 inch or bigger slicks like which is popular for people to do in my area LOL
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so dont use the throttle body spacer just turbo seems to be the sounds of things, can i remap the ecu to get a little more out of it or wait for turbo
Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tuning/dyno sessions can be pricey and you won't see much gains. Best to wait until after the turbo to try and play with things.

If you want to keep things cheap, Greddy makes an inexpensive but reliable kit. Boost is only about 6 psi to start though and it doesn't come with an intercooler. Pick one up and some injectors if you want to make some real power. However, it's a cheap place to start for a good 40-50 HP jump, or like 65 w/ an intercooler. With an upgraded fuel system (injectors, possibly a fuel pump) and a tune, you can bump up the boost.

If you got more money, Peakboost makes good ****. You'll need some sort of fuel management. Either a piggyback or a standalone is fine but FMUs are usually garbage.

There are numerous options available - get a good and conservative setup and your car can be as reliable as stock.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lighter flywheel. Good bang for the $. Frees up sum hp n torque
Old 08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** some people swear that the JDM D15B Vtec engine has a more aggressive cam than a z6. Almost compares to a zex cam. I for starters felt that statement was true since ive owned both z6 and jdm d15b vtec.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Korman
tuning/dyno sessions can be pricey and you won't see much gains. Best to wait until after the turbo to try and play with things.

If you want to keep things cheap, Greddy makes an inexpensive but reliable kit. Boost is only about 6 psi to start though and it doesn't come with an intercooler. Pick one up and some injectors if you want to make some real power. However, it's a cheap place to start for a good 40-50 HP jump, or like 65 w/ an intercooler. With an upgraded fuel system (injectors, possibly a fuel pump) and a tune, you can bump up the boost.

If you got more money, Peakboost makes good ****. You'll need some sort of fuel management. Either a piggyback or a standalone is fine but FMUs are usually garbage.

There are numerous options available - get a good and conservative setup and your car can be as reliable as stock.
I would personally disagree. I look at tuning sessions as investments into the future. Now this is granted upon tuning a high quality engine management system. Admittedly you will not see gains of epic proportions but you will see gains and fine tune the driveability to your personal liking!

Bearing this in mind, simply running a chipped ECU, programs like Crome, or something like megasquirt will not gain you as much as something like an AEM EMS, Hondata system, or some other race quality engine management.

Keep in mind, investing in something like this now prepares you for obtaining maximum power from your setup later on down the road. Remember, hindsight is 20/20!

That is just my $.02 though!

cheers
-randy
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Save your money on I/H/E; it's a complete waste of money. If you really want to make some power, even 200whp is good, then save for boost.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dohc_sedan
Lighter flywheel. Good bang for the $. Frees up sum hp n torque
im not sure about that..if i didn't have to get my whole rotating assembly rebalanced, I'd definetely go back to a stock flywheel
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a good place for a mild good quality turbo kit
Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of guys at TurboD16 use the Greddy kit and build up from there by adding an intercooler, more boost, different blowoff valve, etc. As a base, I'd try that kit and pick up a decent intercooler and give that a go for awhile.

Quick Reply: GOOD BOLT ONS FOR THE MONEY